You know you're a noob in KSP when...

Science-Recon

New thread!

The aim of this thread is to come up with comical examples of 'Noobism' in KSP.

Rules:

1. Nothing deliberately intended to offend someone.

2. No posting anything irrelevant to this thread.

3. Obviously, general forum rule apply.

I'll start; You know you're a noob in KSP when you send an ion-powered lander to Eve...

You know you're a noob in KSP when:

- You keep going straight up trying to get into orbit.

- You flub landings because you thought the "Surface" altimieter measured from the surface, not sea level.

- You forget any of the following: decouplers, solar panels, fuel lines.

- You burn towards a rendezvous target that's ahead of you to catch up to it.

- You've tried to get to orbit using LV-Ns only (possible, but not advisable)

I have done all of these at one point or another.

OP: Nothing wrong with an ion-powered Eve lander, as long as it's not meant to get back up. And sometimes even that can work.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

You know you're a noob in KSP when:

- You flub landings because you thought the "Surface" altimieter measured from the surface, not sea level.

- You forget any of the following: decouplers, solar panels, fuel lines.

Guilty as well!

I'd like to add my own: After crashing a Mun lander (see "Altitude", above), I sent out a remote controlled rescue capsule. I got it into transfer orbit and warp. When it gets to the Mun, there is no power left, which rather surprised me as I used the exact same rocket mark the succesfully had carried the original lander. Took a while to realise that remotes use electric charge constantly....

- You keep going straight up trying to get into orbit.

And when you reach space you cut your engines and wait for your speed to reach zero. This is the point where Kerbin's gravity stops, so waiting until then before you start burning towards the Mun will let you save a lot of fuel that would otherwise have been wasted on fighting gravity.

That was how I did my first flight in Orbiter.

Edited by Felsmak

Only got a couple to add;

-Thinking you can land on the Mun before you circularize first...

-Wondering why you can't get any closer to the planet you're aiming for, then being told that you are flying by far too fast to get orbit...

Only got a couple to add;

-Thinking you can land on the Mun before you circularize first...

-Wondering why you can't get any closer to the planet you're aiming for, then being told that you are flying by far too fast to get orbit...

you can land on the Mun without circularisng, NerdCubed did it.

you can land on the Mun without circularisng, NerdCubed did it.

First time, before even doing a flyby? I meant it as a generalisation, something brand-new people to the game might try to do without understanding the need for more fuel to be able to do this, rather than just aim small ship, wonder why you always smack into the surface at high-speed every time...

You know you're a noob when you build a huge craft without a single strut and expect it to work.

THIS! Oh God so much of this. I can build interplanetary craft and spaceplanes without much problems, but I cannot even begin to count the times I put a rocket or spaceplane on the launchpad/runway only to have it collapse like a pudding.

And it STILL happens on an almost daily basis XD

You know you're a noob when you build a huge craft without a single strut and expect it to work.

So much this!!! ^.^

The amount of times I've traded off structural elements in favour of more control, then kicked myself when the huge rocket I've built turn into a spinning flying banana anyway due to engines thrusting in wierd ways because they don't hold to the rest of the body of the rocket...!

You know that you're a noob in KSP when you use the Kerbodyne engine clusters as RCS.

You call Whackjob a noob? :P

You know you are a noob in KSP when you think that delta v is some mysterious engine stuff thingie.

I know I'm a noob because I:

mount legs upside down on my lander. Oh well, I didn't really need them anyway. Landing on the engine works too.

Don't put batteries on my Ion-power probes. That's okay, who needs more than 1/8 throttle anyway? And I can transmit science in a reasonable amount of time by employing time warp.

Those are just things I did on the weekend.

Why does no one know this?

Same reason why no one knows the difference between Grindcore and Semisynthetic Pseudoindustrial Death Whinecore: no one really cares. :P

Edited by Felsmak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.