You know you're a noob in KSP when...

Science-Recon

You know your a noob in ksp....... when you forgot the parachutes.

Not really, I've been playing for 2 1/2 years with about 200 Mun landings under my belt and I even sometimes forget the chutes.

EDIT:: You know you're a noob when you install 150 mods on a computer with 2 gigs of RAM and wonder why your game won't start.

...When you wonder why your RCS isn't working. Because you didn't hit the 'R' key. So guilty the first few times.

...When your first attempt at station core doesn't make orbit, or even out the atmosphere, so you add more boosters, then more struts, and keep adding and adding...

...When you forget to add reaction wheels and RCS to your 'Project Orion' nuclear pulse craft that has 600+ ton weight and wonder why it maneuvers like a rhino on rollarskates.

...When to launch your 'simple' spaceplane you need 4 SRBs you've really built something wrong.

...When you have your launch clamps, all your asparagus stages and your first stage decouplers on ONE stage...twice...

First time, before even doing a flyby? I meant it as a generalisation, something brand-new people to the game might try to do without understanding the need for more fuel to be able to do this, rather than just aim small ship, wonder why you always smack into the surface at high-speed every time...

I almost landed on Minmus without getting into orbit on my first trip to it, I had managed to get an probe into Mun orbit and wanted to try Minmus.

Serious overbuild, LV-N and a 360 unit fuel tank as I remember probe and an RTG probably batteries and solar cells to, the Mun probe only had one static panels so it run out of power then it was rotated the wrong way.

Now the fun part is that I understood the node for increasing and reducing speed but not the sideway ones. Somehow I managed to get a Minmus intercept, either I was very lucky and launched at the right time or I did some sideways movement by accident, anyway getting into Minmus SOI I found I was on impact trajectory, increasing or reducing speed would not help as I was heading very straight on, I thought I should brake to get more time observing it before impact and managed to stop a few kilometers above the surface and move away, cool so I cut trust and found I was going suborbital, I did not land as I had no legs but was able to get into orbit adding an node to the suborbital trajectory and burn it.

When you swear and curse at the stupid game because the rockets won't go, I fkn throttled up gdamit, bloody thing go would ya, OH space bar. Boom crash bang bang boom boom boom poof. Ha ha ha ha ha ha Cooooooool I like this game.

Did you know you can burn the decoupler off? :P

Oh. No I didn't. Is that a new thing?

You know you're a noob in KSP when you think that by burning towards the planet that you will deorbit. *cough*Hollywood*cough*

Edited by Science-Recon

... when you keep pounding on a port wondering why the damn docking magnet doesn't engage, and it take a few hours to realize that you installed the port the wrong face out....

... when you build an horribly oversized there-and-back-again Dres orbital imaging probe, badly botch the ejection from the parking orbit, and end sending a 175t probe to scan the surface of the Mun (and fail taking it back home, too)

I find it amusing as I read this thread how many of these noob things I've started doing on purpose lately, e.g. upside down decouplers (to make the launcher lighter on reentry), getting shock heating on ascent (RAPIERS, man), control surfaces on Mun landers (to look cool).

You know you're a noob in KSP when you do what I did all through 0.23 and abstain from ever transmitting any science because you're afraid you'll never be able to get the full value for it even if you go back later.

When doing manned landings without making sure your kerbals can get back into the capsule. Forgetting ladders or placing them in the wrong places. :) Must be the most frustrating thing I've encountered as a noob, and just imagine if it happened IRL :D

Also in the beginning I managed to place ladders on top of the hatch, meaning I couldn't get out LOL. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.