You know you're a noob in KSP when...

Science-Recon

When you perfectly align your approach to the target... and ram it at 50 m/s (accidentally did it back in 0.14)

When you try using jets on Eve (some people were claiming that it worked...)

When you put your craft in 5 km polar orbit around the Mun (well, it used to be safe)

When you are testing your Moho lander and manage to crash it into the Mun because of rather low TWR

When your best spaceplane is spinning wildly during the reentry and regains controlability only several km above the ground.

When you think you can land on Tylo without problems... what can possibly go wrong?

This is a perfectly valid reentry profile. :)

Seconded - I prefer to think of this reentry profile as 'distributive'. It evenly distributes reentry forces and wear across the entire body of the spaceplane. Only occasionally distributes said spaceplane across an entire continent.

...when you think that launching a shuttle design that doesn't have a balanced centre of mass is perfectly legit (normally starts off ok, but by the time you get to about 30km you're spinning wildly cos the centre of mass shifts)

This is a perfectly valid reentry profile. :)

Install the Deadly Reentry mod, see what happens ;)

Seconded - I prefer to think of this reentry profile as 'distributive'. It evenly distributes reentry forces and wear across the entire body of the spaceplane. Only occasionally distributes said spaceplane across an entire continent.

You joke, but this really is a good re-entry technique. The higher the drag, the less heating and lower Q (why do you think capsule heat shields are big flat surfaces pointed broadside in the wind?). Just be sure you can get pointed prograde sometime before you locate the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_entry#Blunt_body_entry_vehicles

You know you're a noob when...

You put on RCS fuel not knowing what it does (yes I've done this).

You try to land on the Mun by killing all your lateral velocity and falling straight down.

You try to use a radial decoupler like a stack decoupler.

You eject a stage with fuel left before killing the throttle first, or ejecting an SRB while it's still firing.

You know that the 'delete' key is for the abort group, but when you try to use it nothing happens because you don't know you need to set up the action group in VAB.

You forget parachutes.

You try to land on the Mun by killing all your lateral velocity and falling straight down.

I actually tend to do this quite often if during my "regular" gravity turn descent I spot a good landing zone. Kill all lateral velocity, do a suicide burn to slow down in the final kilometers. Perhaps not the most efficient, but at least I know I land in a decent spot :P

You eject a stage with fuel left before killing the throttle first, or ejecting an SRB while it's still firing.

Oh Lord SO many times...

You know that the 'delete' key is for the abort group, but when you try to use it nothing happens because you don't know you need to set up the action group in VAB.

Yup, did this a few times when I just got the game. "why isn't teh abort button working? Oh well, guess they haven't added that yet..."

You forget parachutes.

I'm not even going to try to count...

I didn't know the abort button existed until two weeks ago. I used to rapidly stage my rocket until the chute came out. I actually saved more Kerbals doing that than using the fancy escape tower and the abort key...

Why so many says that you are noob if you forget some necessary things. I have played probably thousands of hours since 18.0 and still I forget things. Especially when I have to build "simple" crafts in career mode I forget parachutes, electricity parts, ladders, scientific instruments etc. I think that these can sometimes be more fun mistakes.

Please learn to use the two words separately, one is offensive the other is neutral.

If either are offensive then one spends too much time on Internet forums.

You know you are a newb when you attach your radial stages to the fuselage instead of the radial decouplers on accident, turning your staging into a shrapnel bomb that reorganizes your ship into a lopsided, falling brick.

you know you're a newb when you EVA while in physics acceleration and see your kerbal turn to dust.

when you can't climb a hill with a rover only to realize after 5 minutes of trying that your batteries are on empty.

Install the Deadly Reentry mod, see what happens ;)

And F.A.R.

You're a noob In KSP when you do something and Scott Manley (or any other competent person) says it won't work and you think "Na, it'll work; I've seen them do it in the movies."

"Newb" is new,

"Noob" is like a troll, or someone who's a jerk and overall rude.

Noob is more like a Newb who doesn't learn cos they don't listen to what ppl are telling them.

Like you say, try a simple rocket for your first attempt, noob uses every part possible except struts then posts 'Y my rockit fall apart?'

6 weeks later noob still doesn't understand y rockit fall apart, you're only a newb when you're new but you can be a noob forever if you never listen.

In practical terms, the newb and the noob do the same dumb things, but the noob just never stops doing them.

Edited by Wallace

You know your a newt when:

- you don't realize ion engines use xenon gas as fuel

- you put your ion engines on backwards

- you put the SR. Docking ports on backwards

- you don't realize the Nuclear engine has a potentially dangerous faring

- you don't realize jet engines need intakes

Edited by DerpenWolf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.