[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

I think you should try either Curseforge or Kerbalstuff. Handling new releases should be easy on these.

Me and curseforge don't get on well, Never have, seems whenever I try to use it I get redirected to home page with no way of finding my way back. I think GitHub is better suited for the purposes of RVE as it allows allot of group work and sharing, and as I'm frequently working with nathankell and rbray on this project I think it may be a better option.

Edited by pingopete

pingopete: Sure! Not a problem. :)

If you change your github link to point to your repository, then people can just click the "Download ZIP" button on that page to download the current state of the repository. Doesn't get easier than that!

(You can even link directly to that link)

You can also make links to the release system, which I see you're already using. I handle all my releases via the release system, for the record.

Note that if your actual release includes nothing other than what's already in the repository, you don't have to upload a separate file; a zip of the repository at the time of release is automatically created ("Source code zip") and that can just be downloaded.

If you want to do some work that isn't stable enough for even a dev release, you can create a branch and do the work there, and people can still download from master. Then, when things are stable, you can merge that branch back into master.

Finally, you will need to select a license. I suggest CC-BY-NC-SA, since as it is a derivative work of RSS (more or less), and RSS's license is somewhat more restrictive than EVE's, it will need to ensure "derivatives allowed" and "no commercial use."

Expect pull request(s) shortly :)

NathanKell: Yeah my master is currently the most dodgy version yet :P Thanks for the info, I look forwards to any contributions :) I love the way it recognizes every change down to individual config line changes :D

So guys I've finally got most things setup with GitHub, here are some of the latest changes made - this and all other frequent updates to RVE are available from the my GitHub repository (links in the OP).

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by pingopete

NathanKell: Yeah my master is currently the most dodgy version yet :P Thanks for the info, I look forwards to any contributions :) I love the way it recognizes every change down to individual config line changes :D

So guys I've finally got most things setup with GitHub, here are some of the latest changes made - this and all other frequent updates to RVE are available from the my GitHub repository (links in the OP).

http://imgur.com/a/WB8VQ

Wow... I mean, wow... That is BEAUTIFUL. You have so much talent!

Wow... I mean, wow... That is BEAUTIFUL. You have so much talent!

haha like I said man, all credit to you for making such an incredible mod, and to think the overhaul series was mearly a test run! :P I can't even imagine the possibilities ahead!

Hey pingopete, awesome stuff! Eagerlyl trying it out, but I'm getting this when starting up ksp with the master version (i expect bugs, but still): http://imgur.com/a/MpiG0

I cant select anything.. It also happens when switching to another user. Any idea what's happening?

uhhh, not to sure, is it frozen? how do you mean switching user? Also what's with the camera angle, is that what happens as soon as you get to the KSC?

its not really frozen, it still highlights buildings when the camera permits it and I can get to the main menu. However when clicking anything it does freeze. By switching user I mean switching profile. The camera angle is the thing I was wondering about, that is what happens when I get to the KSC. I cant change the angle either. (here it is when it loads ksc with another camera angle, cant change it and when I select anything it does not respond):

This only happens with the master build. the rest were absolutely fine

Edited by Dale Gribble

its not really frozen, it still highlights buildings when the camera permits it and I can get to the main menu. However when clicking anything it does freeze. By switching user I mean switching profile. The camera angle is the thing I was wondering about, that is what happens when I get to the KSC. I cant change the angle either. (here is when it loads ksc with another camera angle, cant change it and when I select anything it does not respond): http://imgur.com/a/15nWT

This only happens with the master build. the rest were absolutely fine

Hmm, was it a fresh install? ny other instances of EVE running? what RSS you running? also any mods of significance?

No, Ill try a fresh install. No other instances of EVE, tried using the newest RSS, as well as 7.3, and 7.4. Im running a lot of mods, yet none of these gave any trouble with previous, stable versions.

Thanks for the quick help btw, really appreciate it :)

Edited by Dale Gribble

The only way I've been able to get this to work with RSS 8.x is to not use any included .dlls,Terrain/ folder, nor the RealSolarSystem.cfg. Kept everything else, used the city lights map provided in the RSS thread (rescaled to 4096x2048). It's been working pretty well, although often the volumetric clouds show up as puffy spheres on a sort of grid. (I also doubled the height of all layers on Kerbin in the clouds configuration except for the lowest one.)

Can anyone else confirm this? Dale: I'm thinking probably a memory crash, the master now has 3 cloud layers and an even higher memory usage than RVE 0.2.2 (currently)

EDIT: I get memory issues even running with few mods :/

Edited by pingopete

I can confirm the puffballs

GBFJnd1.png

These spawn in a square grid around the current viewpoint. But other times, the cloud layer looks normal:

2SbMAZa.png

And RAM is tight on Windows - even with OpenGL and ATM basic, I can't run full-res textures from your pack. Perhaps include smaller textures (2-4k) as default? People running Linux64 or somehow getting Win64 to work can download a higher res texture pack.

I can confirm the puffballs

http://i.imgur.com/GBFJnd1.png

These spawn in a square grid around the current viewpoint. But other times, the cloud layer looks normal:

http://i.imgur.com/2SbMAZa.png

And RAM is tight on Windows - even with OpenGL and ATM basic, I can't run full-res textures from your pack. Perhaps include smaller textures (2-4k) as default? People running Linux64 or somehow getting Win64 to work can download a higher res texture pack.

Ok just out of interest, system specs? I'll do some checking of the files.

Cremasterstroke: what version is this from? or is it the master zip from github?

Edited by pingopete

In case it helps for the puffball issues (I'm seeing the exact same behavior as cremasterstroke):

• System: MSI GE70 laptop (because I can't afford to replace my aging Mac Pro yet)
  • GPU: NVidia GTX 756M w/ 2GB vRAM
  • KSP texture resolution set to 1/2
  • ActiveTextureManagement with a scaling of 1
  • EarthAS.png and EarthC.png left as 8K images since KSP should load those at half-res (or 4K maximum dimension)
  • RSS 8.2.1
  • KSP .25 with -force-opengl
  • Final RAM usage well under 3GB, but over 2GB

Edited by jrandom

Ok just out of interest, system specs? I'll do some checking of the files.

Cremasterstroke: what version is this from? or is it the master zip from github?

HW (no overclocking at the time):

• ASRock Z87 Extreme4
  • Intel Core i5 4670K
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM
  • Radeon R9 290 (Catalyst 14.9)
  • Samsung 850 EVO (boot)
  • WD Caviar Green (KSP)

SW (at time pic was taken):

• Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
  • KSP 0.25, running in OpenGL mode, 2560x1440 borderless window
  • RSS 8.1.2 (4K Earth textures, 2K for other bodies)
  • EVE Overhaul 9-2
  • RVE 0.2.2 (larger textures downscaled to 4K)
  • TextureReplacer 1.7.3
  • ActiveTextureManagement 3.8 (basic)

Unfortunately I don't have an output log from when this happens - I'll upload one if I encounter it again with updated mods.

Edited by cremasterstroke
word

Ok guys thanks for the specs, this hasn't been tested on KSP .25 nor extensively (Certainly not designed for -yet-) RSS 8+... sorry I'll let you know when I do, it'll probably be as a branch from the latest master zip on GitHub.

Motokid: Fantastic images, thanks for sharing, REALLY makes me wanna get a career mod set up again! I'll be sure to use some of these in the OP! :)

btw, I take it this is with RVE 0.2.2? Looks better than I remembered ;)

No problem Pete. I'm hoping to go interplanetary real soon. Yea that's 2.2. Alot are polar shots. The poles look especially beautiful. Again amazing job.

EDIT: So I found this pic hiding on my desktop. I forget to add it into that album. But... I gotta share it..

zIXGkw4.jpg

That... that looks real.

Edited by Motokid600

Hey, i am completly new here.

I don't know how to install any of these things you're showing in the thread. It all looks great but is there a simpilar guide about? Because i get a message popping up that the mods are outdated and that i should come to here for updates or whatever. I have KSP 0.25 i think? I dont know what im doing wrong.

Hey, i am completly new here.

I don't know how to install any of these things you're showing in the thread. It all looks great but is there a simpilar guide about? Because i get a message popping up that the mods are outdated and that i should come to here for updates or whatever. I have KSP 0.25 i think? I dont know what im doing wrong.

You pretty much just place all the stuff from the mod in the gamedata folder in the KSP main directory. For this mod, you would need the Real Solar System v7.3 mod (linked in the first post of this thread) together with your prefered resolution texture pack, which you can find in the Real Solar System thread itself (scroll down a bit in the first post of that thread, you see three links saying "8192x4096 - 4096x2048 - 2048x1024". Pick which one you prefer. 2048 for performance, 8192 for quality) . Then download this mod and install it.

And don't worry too much about the stuff being outdated, I get about five messages for different mods for that as well everytime I start the game, it still works, but it just says that they arent designed specifically for that version of KSP.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear things up somewhat, wrote this reply rather quickly

Edited by Dale Gribble

You pretty much just place all the stuff from the mod in the gamedata folder in the KSP main directory. For this mod, you would need the Real Solar System v7.3 mod (linked in the first post of this thread) together with your prefered resolution texture pack, which you can find in the Real Solar System thread itself (scroll down a bit in the first post of that thread, you see three links saying "8192x4096 - 4096x2048 - 2048x1024". Pick which one you prefer. 2048 for performance, 8192 for quality) . Then download this mod and install it.

And don't worry too much about the stuff being outdated, I get about five messages for different mods for that as well everytime I start the game, it still works, but it just says that they arent designed specifically for that version of KSP.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear things up somewhat, wrote this reply rather quickly

Thanks dale, yeah that's pretty much it, I haven't got a release up on GitHub yet of 0.25 although I am working on it. I've also introduced rbrays new atmosphere shader (to an extent) in it, and will soon hopefully have the real shadow system working too :)

I guess RVE doesn't work with the latest version of RSS? I installed RVE as Dale Gribble suggests, overwriting when relevant, but the game crashed on starting up.

Resize all 8K textures to 4K (eg. a maximum width/length of 4096 -- Paint.NET makes for a good free photo editing program if you're on Windows).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.