[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hey there,

I am trying to install Realistic Progression via CKAN and keep on running into trouble with RemoteTech. When I install it via CKAN, along with the Contract Pack, and then start a career, my probes all have 'No Connection'. When I check the Tracking Station, there are loads of red dots indicating running stations, but none is near enough to the KSC. I have tried editing the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg, but cannot fix the problem. I have the suspicion that the ground stations are those from the RealSolarSystem configuration, however I made sure that this is not installed. I have tried de- and re-installing RT, even re-downloading it, as well.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

EDIT:

Even with a full re-download of KSP, the ckan.exe and the RP0 mod and RT, I don't have a ground station at KSC. That cannot be right, can it?

Edited by tobykoby
tried something...

When I check the Tracking Station, there are loads of red dots indicating running stations, but none is near enough to the KSC.

By default, RT creates one ground station at KSC. If you are seeing more, then something is changing that configuration, as you suspected.

I think it should be happening via ModuleManager patches to the RemoteTechSettings config node. If you find the other mod that is changing it, you'll be in business.

Hey guys,I'm using RSS and I wanted to add one brazilian launch site.

Worked well on configs,no problem at all,but the RemoteTech ground base don't appear/work on the game,here is the print of my config:

IrA3Moa.png

If someone can help me,I appreciate.

I'm running into an issue that I think may be originating from RT2. Maybe it's just my rudimentary understanding of how the mod works.

Anyway, I'm running RSS/RO/RP-0. I just sent up two satellites which should be serving as my first communication network. They're at 2000km (2.0Mm) circular orbit. They're equipped with 2 of the 4.0Mm antennas so there should be no issue whatsoever in reaching a ground station for control assuming there's one beneath the satellite.

Thing is, I have oodles and gobs of electric charge (say, 15000+) and for some reason my probe core says there's no connection on which to send commands, and the RT2 flight computer says that there's no power.

I posted it to Reddit hoping that someone would know: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3g8w8l/this_seems_contradictory_remote_tech_2/

If nothing else, there's a picture there that should have the necessary information. There's a connection in the upper left of the screen.

I tried reverting to a quicksave just before circularization and the same thing is happening -- it almost seems that the act of leaving a satellite is causing it to never again have a signal.

I really just want to understand what's going on. At this point, it's been bug after bug in this RSS setup and it's getting to the point that it's too frustrating to play -- I can't launch manned craft at the moment because my pods start overheating on the launch pad, and this is effectively keeping me from doing anything unmanned.

By default, RT creates one ground station at KSC. If you are seeing more, then something is changing that configuration, as you suspected.

I think it should be happening via ModuleManager patches to the RemoteTechSettings config node. If you find the other mod that is changing it, you'll be in business.

Thanks! I guess it is the Realism Overhaul that is chaning the cfg file during loading. I shall look into this.

Can you control probes from a manned ship if they both have activated antennas and are in range? That would make things like getting a network up much easier than hoping those random probes that you're connected to have a link to KSC.

Can you control probes from a manned ship if they both have activated antennas and are in range? That would make things like getting a network up much easier than hoping those random probes that you're connected to have a link to KSC.

I am not entirely sure if I understand your question correctly, but the manned ship can acts as a relay for any connection. However, you cannot control the probe while the manned ship is the active vessel - you need to actually select the probe. And in one way or the other, even with 20 relays in between, a link to the KSC has to be established.

Well, you can, but not just any manned ship. You need a ship with six Kerbals aboard, and a special probe core equipped to handle Command Station tasks. In stock, this is the "RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit."

If you are playing Science or Career, you'll note that probe core is not available until you are very advanced.

You will also want to learn how to use the Flight Computer, which allows you to set up commands to run at precise times (for instance, executing maneuver nodes). Commands set in the flight computer will even run when you do not currently have a control connection. (Of course, it does need to be the active vessel when you expect it to run a command.)

This isn't your best option. You have 3 good options for dealing with this problem

1. Start with a single satellite into synchronous orbit above KSC. It won't ever be out of contact with KSC.

2. Launch 3 or 4 satellites aboard a manned vessel and release them at appropriate times to maintain contact with KSC. This is kind of like rendezvous, but backward. Launch your craft into an elliptical orbit, detach a satellite above KSC, circularize just the satellite, and wait for your craft to gain enough distance on it. Then repeat until all satellites are in place. Your craft can act as a temporary satellite too if it has any probe core on it and appropriate antennasd, however your craft must have connection with KSC for that to work, only a command station can act in place of KSC. All future networks can use this network as a backbone so only one manned mission is ever required.

3. Do the same as #2 but with unmanned using the flight computer, your actions will be limited to periods where KSC is in range.

#2 is probably the easiest for new players on a career or science game.

Edited by Alshain

Hey, I just created my own tracking stations, I followed the directions on the site which stated to give each one of the stations a unique ID using this, but every time I load up the game, it tells me:

FormatException: Invalid format for Guid.Guid(string).

And then it stops.

RemoteTechSettings{
ConsumptionMultiplier = 0.25
RangeMultiplier = 1
ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2
SpeedOfLight = 3E+08
MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Path
EnableSignalDelay = False
RangeModelType = Standard
MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 0
ThrottleTimeWarp = True
HideGroundStationsBehindBody = False
DishConnectionColor = 0.9960784,0.7019608,0.03137255,1
OmniConnectionColor = 0.5529412,0.5176471,0.4078431,1
ActiveConnectionColor = 0.6588235,1,0.01568628,1
GroundStations
{
STATION
{
Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488
Name = Mission Control
Latitude = -0.131331503391266
Longitude = -74.594841003418
Height = 75
Body = 1
MarkColor = 0.996078,0,0,1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 7b 01 82 16 97 9e 19 6d 87 ad 4c 7f bd 91 5f 32
Name = Peninsula Station
Latitude = 3.0542
Longitude = -38.3423
Height = 499
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 58 9b d4 3b ce 27 02 cf 0b b1 2e cd 25 db 8d 4a
Name = Inland Space Center
Latitude = 20.5829
Longitude = -146.5116
Height = 420
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 3d 1d f8 df 99 7c ab 55 48 85 6c 53 e9 a9 4b bb
Name = Tundra Station
Latitude = 55.3711
Longitude = -77.7832
Height = 800
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 88 fb 66 43 42 7a 8f 28 e7 d2 9e 41 f4 53 0f 02
Name = Sierra Kersia
Latitude = -18.5449
Longitude = -37.2217
Height = 420
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+07
}
}
}
}
}

Too big for a code/spoiler combo, on Google Drive here

List of mods in my signature, it's the blue flag

I really want these to work because it would make the game at least a little more realistic to have multiple tracking stations.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the proper format on the Wikipedia guid page.

Edited by Mrsupersonic8

I'm playing RSS/RO/RP-0 and during my first manned mission I lose control of the vessel late during the ascent. With a few retries, I found that it happens at the precise moment when the comms link switches from KSC to some fireship in the atlantic. At the same time, the display below the clock changes from "local control" to a few millisenconds of signal delay.

The kerbal on board is alive and well and can go on EVA. However, the vessel won't take any control input and the staging is locked.

No messages whatsoever, neither on the screen nor in F3 nor in the log.

There is plenty of juice in the batteries.

I've already opened an issue report on github; I'm posting this here mostly in the hope that someone knows a workaround.

I'm playing RSS/RO/RP-0 and during my first manned mission I lose control of the vessel late during the ascent. With a few retries, I found that it happens at the precise moment when the comms link switches from KSC to some fireship in the atlantic. At the same time, the display below the clock changes from "local control" to a few millisenconds of signal delay.

The kerbal on board is alive and well and can go on EVA. However, the vessel won't take any control input and the staging is locked.

No messages whatsoever, neither on the screen nor in F3 nor in the log.

There is plenty of juice in the batteries.

I've already opened an issue report on github; I'm posting this here mostly in the hope that someone knows a workaround.

I can tell you with stock RT, I have never seen this behavior with a Kerbal-controlled mission. Admittedly, stock RT has only one Ground Station (KSC), so I haven't exercised this particular circumstance.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, does anything appear in the log at that point, when you lose control?

I should add, does anything appear in the log at that point, when you lose control?

Nothing. Not in F3, not in the log.

However, messing around with some part context menus (like "control from here" on the command pod) triggers a message "no connection to send command on". To repeat, the vessel is a) manned and B) appears to be in comms range with a ~2ms delay.

I found out that command will be restored the moment I re-enter the atmosphere.

Hello, is there a way to stop warp time when remote tech link is restored to the KSC ?

I have a probe orbiting Minmus and it comes to ComSat range from time to time. I wish I could jump to warp time and get back to normal time as soon as the link is back on...

any chance to make probe cores have default 100km range and get rid of that 500km range antenna, i hate that thing.

I'd suggest you take a look at creating your own patch to run after RemoteTech, modifying the configurations added by RemoteTech_Squad_Probes.cfg

You should see the MM patch there which adds the 3km antenna upgrade (when Unmanned Tech is researched). Perhaps something along those lines would be useful to you?

It seems like my probes have problems to connect to KSC Mission Control even when sitting on the Launchpad.

I am playing KSP with:

TAC Lifesupport

Realism Overhaul

Real Fuels

SCANSat

KER

DRE

FAR + Procedural Fairings

DMagic Orbital Science

Distant Objects Enhancement

EVE + Astronomers Pack

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

kOS

Precise Node

RPM + Vesselview + Docking Port Alignment Indicator

and Remotetech 1.6.7 (the one available via CKAN)

Guess that´s the important ones

and for some strange reasons, when I create a probe, it sits on the launchpad, consumes power and says that its SPU has no connection.

I tried it with Stayputnik, Sounding Rockets and Agena Probe Cores but is is always the same,

despite the fact that their built in omnidirectional antenna should range 100 km+

(I also tried to add a Reflectron antenna, but this, as well, doesn´t establish a connection to Mission control ...

and I tried it also with the most basic probes, that means, a probecore, a booster-Rocket and the Reflectron antenna)

So, am I doing something wrong (First time that I use RemoteTech) or is there some problem with RemoteTech (and maybe some mods)?

Addendum:

Just tested a little bit in a sandbox

Sems like the only core that is able to establish a connection to local control is the golden HECS-2 core ...

which, interesting/strange enough, is the only probe core that says: non RO (i.e. not realism overhaul compatible)

Addendum:

Just tested a little bit in a sandbox

Sems like the only core that is able to establish a connection to local control is the golden HECS-2 core ...

which, interesting/strange enough, is the only probe core that says: non RO (i.e. not realism overhaul compatible)

In default RemoteTech, you should need launch clamps or an active omni antenna to connect to Mission Control while on the launchpad. If you are playing in career mode, the internal 3km omni antenna is not active until you unlock the technology that upgrades your probe cores to include it.

Since it sounds like you did not have a connection while having an antenna, you might look at testing with just RemoteTech installed, or try removing mods that you suspect of conflict with RemoteTech. Either way, see if it will work for you that way, so you can narrow down the issue.

O.K., had a 1.0.4 installation that I used from before the new one with Realism Overhaul ...

just installed RemoteTech and kOS.

Everything worhed fine ... Stayputnik, Okto and Hecs-Cores together with a Reflectron 16 antenna got connection immediately at the launchpad.

Now I already can rule out the mods I had in this installation, which were:

EVE + Astronomers Visual Pack

DRE

FAR + Procedural Fairings

Colorful Fuel Lines

RPM + Docking Port Alignment Indicator

KER

kOS

Precise Node

SCANSat

TAC Lifesupport

Universal Storage

At the moment my strongest suspicion goes to one of the dependencies of the Realism Overhaul Mod.

Escpecially since in the installation with Realism Overhaul the only probe core that got a connection was markes as non RO compatible.

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum:

Guess I got the solution ...

according to the RO-Wiki it is the lack of RemoteTech-Links at the launch sites

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/Q&A

I´ll check if the mentioned change in the RemoteTech.cfg will do the trick

That only means the part has not been properly adapted for RO. It may be overweight or underpriced or in the wrong tech node or any combination thereof.

I've recently had some trouble with losing control of some craft although they had a working link, even when manned. When you can't control your probe, is that pocket calculator pictogram below the mission timer green or red?