[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

How do I deactivate the flight computer? I used it to complete a node that would happen when out of range, and now that I'm back in range, everything I try (such as turning on lights, activating other dishes, using action groups) just adds itself to the flight computer queue instead of just doing it. Even if I explicitly right click parts. Is this a bug, or a feature that I can't figure out how to turn off?

sounds like you forgot to zero out the delay

Does this depend on some Active Vessel link down the road? If so, then when you switch to somewhere else, this part will be broken.

No, the link from the Jool satellites goes directly to Kerbin.

Is there a situation where RemoteTech will take over the SAS during launch? If so, is there a way to disable this behavior? Is it a problem with probe configuration? I can't seem to maneuver the rocket unless the SAS is off and, while it's on, it's like a dying fish flopping around, the same behavior I observe in space during a planned RT maneuver node burn. Full connection.

Can somebody help me put a tracking station on the peninsula east of KSC? I've been launching rockets that can't make it to orbit simply because I've lost contact with ground while coasting to apoapsis. I'm role playing an early space program where they wouldn't have relay satellites, so that wouldn't be an option. The only thing I really need is the coordinates but the latitude and longitude are in decimals, not degrees.

you can get the numbers using hyperedit:

hyperedit a probe in orbit, put it just above the point you want and go to "Land Vessel" or something like that

then press "set to current" and it will show the longitude and latitude. try using those for RemoteTech and it should work fine

edit:

or you can go here

http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

mouse over the location and read the numbers in the lower left

Can somebody help me put a tracking station on the peninsula east of KSC? I've been launching rockets that can't make it to orbit simply because I've lost contact with ground while coasting to apoapsis. I'm role playing an early space program where they wouldn't have relay satellites, so that wouldn't be an option. The only thing I really need is the coordinates but the latitude and longitude are in decimals, not degrees.

The only thing I know to do for this is to make your ascent less efficient (i.e. it has to be more steep and less flat), this is the only way to get to orbit and not have the KSC lose contact over the horizon. This will always be necessary until you get your short range comms network up there covering Kerbin for you.

The only thing I know to do for this is to make your ascent less efficient (i.e. it has to be more steep and less flat), this is the only way to get to orbit and not have the KSC lose contact over the horizon. This will always be necessary until you get your short range comms network up there covering Kerbin for you.

yup, that's how my KSA roleplay did it. Once we had one up there, we could time our launch for when it was passing overhead to relay signal back as the launcher crossed over the horizon

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing I really need is the coordinates but the latitude and longitude are in decimals, not degrees.

What do you need degrees for? The format of the RT ground station is in decimal Lat/Lon

Darn. I thought my problems were over. I have run a new game, created a 3 sat network and have another Mun probe. This time everything looks correctly linked but my signal won't pass through more than one sat to KSP. So my signal path runs Mun Flyby probe -> Geostat 3 -> No link however, when I fly Geosat 3 that goes Geostat 3 -> Geostat 2 -> KSP OK.

My question is if there's some kind of debug screen so I can determine what is causing the lack of a link?

In the VAB, always attach a Reflectron DP-10 to your ship, then right-click it and make sure it says "start deployed". Then, when you launch your ship, use a steeper angle than you normally would for the most fuel-efficient launch trajectory (something like be at 15,000 meters at 90 degrees or so). Also try to go a bit higher than minimum orbit (rather than 71-72k altitude, go to 78-80k or more). These two methods will give you a longer time within LoS of Mission Control. Actually you don't even need to do those, but they make things easier.

As you ascend, switch to map view to keep an eye on your apoapsis. Once your apoapsis is where you want it to be, immediately turn on your flight computer and click the GRD + button so the FC keeps the nose of your ship pointed in the right direction. Now create a maneuver node at your apoapsis for a circularization burn. Quickly click NODE then EXEC on the Flight Computer. Then sit back and let the FC do the rest. If you do this quick enough you should still be well within LoS communication range of Mission Control. Coasting to apoapsis and trying to do the circularization burn yourself is a recipe for disaster.

It also helps to add a Communotron 16 to your ship and assign it to Action Group 1. You can then press 1 as soon as your ship hits 50k altitude. Same goes for later when you get deployable solar panels.

Darn. I thought my problems were over. I have run a new game, created a 3 sat network and have another Mun probe. This time everything looks correctly linked but my signal won't pass through more than one sat to KSP. So my signal path runs Mun Flyby probe -> Geostat 3 -> No link however, when I fly Geosat 3 that goes Geostat 3 -> Geostat 2 -> KSP OK.

My question is if there's some kind of debug screen so I can determine what is causing the lack of a link?

Mun Flyby probe needs to have a dish targetting Geostat 3. Geostat 3 needs to have a dish targetting either Mun Flyby probe, or "Active Vessel". Sounds to me like your Mun probe has a dish pointed at Geostat 3, but Geostat 3 doesn't have a dish pointed back at the Mun probe.

Edited by Targa

Is there a situation where RemoteTech will take over the SAS during launch? If so, is there a way to disable this behavior? Is it a problem with probe configuration? I can't seem to maneuver the rocket unless the SAS is off and, while it's on, it's like a dying fish flopping around, the same behavior I observe in space during a planned RT maneuver node burn. Full connection.

It can happen when flight computer is controlling orientation, including "kill rotation", which is the state after executing a maneuver. You have to explicitly close off that mode by cancelling it in flight computer (or there's a better way I'm not aware of)

Mun Flyby probe needs to have a dish targetting Geostat 3. Geostat 3 needs to have a dish targetting either Mun Flyby probe, or "Active Vessel". Sounds to me like your Mun probe has a dish pointed at Geostat 3, but Geostat 3 doesn't have a dish pointed back at the Mun probe.

That's the odd thing. Geostat 3 and Mun probe have a mustard line between them. It's the Geostat 3 that doesn't appear to have a link to to Geostat 2 which has a line to KSC.

I'm thinking of dumping geostationary sats and creating some more ground stations to effectively create the DSN. Created a test with that and I'm getting better results.

That's the odd thing. Geostat 3 and Mun probe have a mustard line between them. It's the Geostat 3 that doesn't appear to have a link to to Geostat 2 which has a line to KSC.

I'm thinking of dumping geostationary sats and creating some more ground stations to effectively create the DSN. Created a test with that and I'm getting better results.

When you say you fly Geostat3 it works fine - is this path relying on the Active Vessel link on Geostat2? That may become broken if you're not flying Geostat3.

Hi

I've add some ground stations to my RT install.

They work great.

STATION
{
Guid = 514242a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc442
Name = Karabole 2
Latitude = -0.131331503391266
Longitude = 106
Height = 75
Body = 1
MarkColor = 0.996078,0,0.5,1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 1E+16
}
}
}

But the antenna range isn't set.

The only way i've found is to modify the MissionControlAntenna omni field (and recompile).

They're something i'm doing wrong?

thanks

Hi, please can you guys give me a save file with a proper network connection ... I lost my save and now I need to start over. Please please ... And i don't want to use hyper edit!

It can happen when flight computer is controlling orientation, including "kill rotation", which is the state after executing a maneuver. You have to explicitly close off that mode by cancelling it in flight computer (or there's a better way I'm not aware of)
I can confirm that I have shut this off and still experience the same issue. I suspect it is config-based as certain probe cores seem to do it while others don't. I'll test further tonight.

I can confirm that I have shut this off and still experience the same issue. I suspect it is config-based as certain probe cores seem to do it while others don't. I'll test further tonight.

ok I'm seeing the same problem now, although it's my first time seeing such problem. It was on one of my big interplanetary ship, launched in one piece, then separated, and I tried to do flight computers on both of them - one of them starts spinning regardless of what I do, even if I switch to another (but within physics range), or if I time warped (it restores spinning after resuming to 1x).

FOUR thoughts:

1) Do you have the display set to show only the currently selected satellite's connection back to KSC?

2) Do you have your DTS-M1s set to cone to kerbin, or direct two each other comsat? To get a point-to-point with a dish inside the same sphere of influence, you need both sats to point directly at each other.

Eg: COMSAT-1: DTS-M1 pointed directly to COMSAT-2

COMSAT-2: DTS-M! pointed directly to COMSAT-1

For dishes outside of the same sphere of influence, you can use two coned satellites; you can have one at Mun set to Kerbin, and one at Kerbin set to Mun. If the two are in range they will connect automatically. They will also pick up any omnidirectionals close enough, regardless of the sphere of influence.

3) If you have both an omnidirectional and a dish on the same probe, sometimes* the omni will connect to the dish on the other end, even if you have a dish pointed at the other sat. This is usually only an issue for sats around the same body. It also doesn't seem to change anything but the display, since a connection is still made.

* I don't know why, I just see it happen.

4) If you have any dishes set to 'active ship', they can and will try to override other connections you have to your active sat.

Edited by ibanix
derp