[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hi guys, I have a problem:

So I am trying to fulfil a Suborbital-Sun flight contract, so I sent my tourist with a lander can, ion engines, xenon that I wanted to remote-control.

I can not get a connection, and I don't understand why!

- The craft has plenty electric charge

- The craft has a signal processor (KER chip, Probe core)

- The craft has an antenna (Comms DTS-M1)

- The antenna is pointed to a relay-craft

- The antenna is activated

- The antenna is in range (20 Mm)

- The relay craft has plenty electric charge

- The relay craft has two antennas,

- Communotron 88-88, pointed at a kerbin relay sattelite

- Comms DTS-M1, pointed at the tourist craft (or to "active vessel" alternatively, but that doesn't work either)

- Both antennas are activated

- Both antennas are in range (88-88: 215 Mm to Kerbin, DTS-M1: 20 Mm to tourist craft)

If I switch to the relay craft, the connection from relay craft to kerbin works! But when I switch to the tourist craft, I don't have a connection although both antennas are pointed at each other, and I have electrich charge.

Could somebody hint me what the hell is wrong here? Do I really need to go cheating to fix the situation?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok folks, I got it now.

It was the Active Vessel thing... My relay network satellites were set to Active Vessel, which obviously wasn't the relay craft but the tourist craft - hence no connection.

Now that I come to think of it, this was even in the Tutorials.

Sorry.

Hey guys. I've got an issue. I can't control a remote rescue craft. I built a ship with 3 mk.1 lander cans, empty, and a probe core. When it's sitting on the landing pad, it keeps saying "no connection to send command on". Which makes no sense, because I have a probe core installed. Not really sure what to do here :/

Hey guys. I've got an issue. I can't control a remote rescue craft. I built a ship with 3 mk.1 lander cans, empty, and a probe core. When it's sitting on the landing pad, it keeps saying "no connection to send command on". Which makes no sense, because I have a probe core installed. Not really sure what to do here :/

If it's a career save, then you won't have a connection until you unlock Unmanned Tech (pretty late in the game). That is when you unlock the 3km range radio built into each probe core. Before that point, you must include a separate antenna. You usually want to use a DP-10 as your ascent antenna, since it's light, low power, and tough enough to survive moving fast in an atmosphere.

If it's a career save, then you won't have a connection until you unlock Unmanned Tech (pretty late in the game). That is when you unlock the 3km range radio built into each probe core. Before that point, you must include a separate antenna. You usually want to use a DP-10 as your ascent antenna, since it's light, low power, and tough enough to survive moving fast in an atmosphere.

No. I don't think that's it. I've been flying unmanned probes to other planets :P

It's only when I have empty command pods that the probes won't seem to be able to control anything.

No. I don't think that's it. I've been flying unmanned probes to other planets :P

It's only when I have empty command pods that the probes won't seem to be able to control anything.

Well, I am stumped. I have flown many ships with probe cores and empty command pods to orbit, thanks to numerous rescue missions.

Hmm, is it a stock probe core?

Well, I am stumped. I have flown many ships with probe cores and empty command pods to orbit, thanks to numerous rescue missions.

Hmm, is it a stock probe core?

Yup. Stock probe cores. They control ships just fine when it's the only command pod a ship has. But when I have a ship with both a crewed pod and a probe core, it never works. It's really messing my game up too.. :/

I am having the same problem with the remotetech nav computer losing its mind.

I built a comsat deploy ship. It has a probe core xfer stage with three separate comsats each with their on probe core. All four also have a mechjeb on them. Often I will set up a manuever node with mechjeb (especially resonant obits for comsat networks) and then turn off MJ and use the remotetech nav computer to execute the maneuver. This has worked for me in the past.

The behavior now is I set up the node. Then turn off MJ and then select "node" from the RT nav computer and the ship just goes insane!!!! It starts tumbling out of control. I have to stop RT's nav comp. Then select node from MJ and once MJ has the probe pointing at the node. Then I once again turn off MJ and use RT by selecting node (if already pointing at the node RT's nav comp seems to not go crazy) then press RT's exec command to execute the manuever node.

Is this some kind of incompatibility issue that has developed with MJ or an internal RT problem with ships that have multiple probe cores. Or some combination of the two.

It's totally gimping my 1.0.4 career run!

To everyone have problems with ProbeCores + empty command pods: Do you use SETIctt by any chance?

I have the same problem and do use SETIctt.

One addition to this bug: I managed to launch a 3 man pod with 3 tourists with a OKTO2 probe core to my space station, only when trying to undock and fly back did i get this problem.

To everyone have problems with ProbeCores + empty command pods: Do you use SETIctt by any chance?

I'm having this problem too with SETIctt installed. After testing a bit, it seems like if the empty command pod is the root part there is no way to connect to mission control no matter what antennas are on the ship. If the probe core (I was using an OKTO2) is the root part, it seems to work fine.

I'm having this problem too with SETIctt installed. After testing a bit, it seems like if the empty command pod is the root part there is no way to connect to mission control no matter what antennas are on the ship. If the probe core (I was using an OKTO2) is the root part, it seems to work fine.

Aha!

I m on it, with that information I hope to fix it some time tomorrow.

My mistake should be fixed in the SETIctt hotfix, which was released a few minutes ago.

If anything comes up (unexpected side effects), please let me know in the SETI thread.

Sorry for all the trouble.

PS: It should fix all existing craft. If it does not, please let me know.

My mistake should be fixed in the SETIctt hotfix, which was released a few minutes ago.

If anything comes up (unexpected side effects), please let me know in the SETI thread.

Sorry for all the trouble.

PS: It should fix all existing craft. If it does not, please let me know.

Works for me, also for already existing crafts (or well the one i tried just now which did not work before). Thanks :)

Is there an upper limit to how many ships RT can handle at once? If I have more than 2 probes into physics distance one of them seems to lose any control, which is only resumed if I switch to it - at which point another ships loses control.

A very common cause of the behavior you are reporting is a combination of:

1) You have an antenna somewhere pointed at "Active Vessel" which is making the link work when you switch to a certain vessel and it becomes active

2) The rest of your network is _not_ making a valid connection, which can happen for scads of reasons, not associated with an upper limit on RT vessels

I'm not saying the above reasons are causing your reported behavior, but they certainly could.

Good luck,

Ainamogel

I thought I saw people recently talking about how signal delay still doesn't affect keyboard controls for craft movement, but apparently that "bug" was fixed in the latest version.

C'mon guys this is a really really stupid thing to force on people. If you want to orient your probe in any direction other than the regular vectors it's a pain in the ass to figure out what the proper roll/pitch/yaw values are! If I have a camera on my craft and I want to point it at something it's a horrible game of trial and error to frame the image. Real spacecraft have dedicated software that tells mission controllers how to orient the craft so they can snap the photo they want. RemoteTech does not have this.

For anyone complaining about being able to control your craft in real-time - seriously, exercise a little bit of self-control and simply don't do it if you feel it's "cheating".

FFS :mad:

Essentially you seem to be complaining that a mod that (optionally) enforces a lightspeed control delay is, when that option is selected, enforcing a lightspeed control delay.

Software to orient the craft is readily available.

I don't play with signal delay, so I have no way to be sure about this, but:

if you want to point your ship in real time, wouldn't it be enough to set the probe to "point manouvre node" and then move the manouvre node where you want your ship to point?

you'll still have to wait for the signal "point to manouvre" to reach the ship, but once it's pointing at the blue marker I think you can move it in real time by changing the manouvre

A very common cause of the behavior you are reporting is a combination of:

1) You have an antenna somewhere pointed at "Active Vessel" which is making the link work when you switch to a certain vessel and it becomes active

2) The rest of your network is _not_ making a valid connection, which can happen for scads of reasons, not associated with an upper limit on RT vessels

I'm not saying the above reasons are causing your reported behavior, but they certainly could.

Good luck,

Ainamogel

I was using omnis (Communutron 16 on the mothership, the passive 500km ones on the probes which tested the behaviours) in LKO with no less than 16 com-sats employing Communutron 16s operating in groups of 4s in 450km orbits (4 at 0° inclination, 2x4 in 2 45° orbits, 4 @ 90°)

I was literally drowning in connections.

Essentially you seem to be complaining that a mod that (optionally) enforces a lightspeed control delay is, when that option is selected, enforcing a lightspeed control delay.

There's no way to turn this on and off without completely restarting the game and manually editing the settings file, therefore it's not really designed by the devs to be a "switch" but more of a "this or that" option to suit two different styles of gameplay, not merge them. If that's changed and I've missed it, then I fail at reading change logs.

Software to orient the craft is readily available.

I find your lack of references disturbing - and besides this isn't just about simple ship orientation. I made it clear I'm not talking about "pointing prograde" or anything as basic as that. I need to orient my ship and point my camera. This community is very smart and helpful and yet no one has been able to give me a useful solution to this problem.

I've asked before and no one has bothered to provide an answer - if you enable signal delay on your game and like to take photos with an onboard camera, how do you do it?? This community is very smart and helpful but no one has offered up a decent solution to this problem RemoteTech creates

I don't play with signal delay, so I have no way to be sure about this, but:

if you want to point your ship in real time, wouldn't it be enough to set the probe to "point manouvre node" and then move the manouvre node where you want your ship to point?

you'll still have to wait for the signal "point to manouvre" to reach the ship, but once it's pointing at the blue marker I think you can move it in real time by changing the manouvre

That's a creative workaround. It still involves a bit of trial and error to get the node to go where you want it so the ship orients as you want it but you're right there wouldn't be any signal delay. One big problem - even with PreciseNode you can only edit a maneuver node in Map View, where you can't see your ship or through the camera you want to point at something. You can see the navball, so you can orient to a specific point, but if I knew what that point was ahead of time I could just enter it into the RT flight computer

Edited by Gaiiden

I really enjoy RT and the challenge and fun it promotes, and also how many different options there are for customization. For a start, the Root range mode is really fun for me. Have you considered changing it to be 0.5*(min(r1,r2)+sqrt(r1*r2)), and removing the suggestion to reduce the range multiplier to 0.5? The only reason I suggest it is that way the range listed in-game for the antennas reads correctly (for pairs of antennas or for use in the range formula). I can make my own range chart so it isn't really a big deal, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Great job with this!

There's no way to turn this on and off without completely restarting the game and manually editing the settings file, therefore it's not really designed by the devs to be a "switch" but more of a "this or that" option to suit two different styles of gameplay, not merge them.

That seems to be true, but so what?

I find your lack of references disturbing

kOS can orient the ship programmatically.

This community is very smart and helpful and yet no one has been able to give me a useful solution to this problem.

Because your problem seems to be "I want to use a mod with a lightspeed control delay and not have a lightspeed control delay". If I use Dangit, I don't complain that part failures mess up my planned screenshots.

Because your problem seems to be "I want to use a mod with a lightspeed control delay and not have a lightspeed control delay". If I use Dangit, I don't complain that part failures mess up my planned screenshots.

Think of simulation tests performed in other saved games. I.e. in addition to your hard mode no-revert hardcore career game, you also have an easy-mode sandbox saved game too, that you sometimes use for simulation tests before you try an idea for reals in your real game.

The current design of RT makes it impossible to have its restrictions in place for SOME saved games but not for others. If the RT mod's files are in GameData, then the rule is enforced for the entire set of saved games on that KSP installation.

It's useful to be able to use RT parts without the RT rules in place so that your simulation sandbox can test designs that use RT antenna parts in their craft files without the game complaining that the parts are un-loadable because you uninstalled RT to run your test.

Yes, it's a cheat, but there's reasons the cheat menu exists, mostly having to do with testing things out and making demonstrations. In fact, that's a good place to put this - on the ALT-F12 cheat menu. There's other mods that add tabs to the cheat menu, so I know it can be done, and labeling it as a cheat makes it clear that using it for anything other than just testing around isn't proper for the mod. It should be thought of as being similar to turning on infinite fuel, or gravity hack - something you do when simulating and demonstrating, not something you do when you use it for real.