[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I don't know how feasible this is, but would you be able to configure the AI to only use 66% throttle if AJE is installed and only use 100% throttle when they really need speed? That really the only flaw when using AJE with this mod. With AJE 66-100% throttle is the afterburner and 0-66% is the regular throttle. Again no idea how feasible this is, so feel free to shoot it down.

That could be possible, but I'll think about it later after 1.1. There's tons of options and variables I want to expose for anyone to tweak but I want it to be a nice UI.

Here's another announcement that I'll be streaming bdarmory work all day today. Come hang out.

http://www.twitch.tv/bahamutod/

Would it be possible to change the ascent profile in the extended settings? Between the circular climb we have now, and the old vertical climb.

I do enjoy the circular climb up, and I understand it is beneficial for craft that can't climb very well, but it takes way longer to reach the set altitude. Mines at 5300m, and it takes quite a while to get up there. It would be nice to have the option to go straight up like we used to.

And I miss this.

ScholarlyFastHorsemouse.gif

Two questions concerning the missile guidance unit and one request that I certainly hope has not been stated before.

A: Is there any detailed information on what, precisely, the various sliders of the guidance module control? I seem to have a rough idea of the effects manipulating them produces, but I'd rather know causes.

B: Are ballistic and RCS guidance modes planned to be included? My longer-range missiles and space intercept vehicles tend not to be too convenient to bring on-target with MechJeb.

As for the request, some sliders can accept very fine values, but cover a large range, making precision tweaks painful - could an interval control similar to the one TweakScale uses to allow for fine manipulation of size percentages be included for them (allowing the user to select a value range via buttons, then fine-tuning via slider)?

That could be possible, but I'll think about it later after 1.1. There's tons of options and variables I want to expose for anyone to tweak but I want it to be a nice UI.

Awesome to hear! I actually thought of another compatibility issue. With FAR i use flap for take off and during dog fights. So having AI aware of flap setting and using them would be phenomenal. Otherwise I always have to swap between all the planes before the fight starts to at least drop flaps 1 setting. Again if it's already planned I apologize for repeating it. Great stream by the way.

Can you tell the class how you hid the BDArmory parts from the 'Utility' tab? My Utility tab is getting way too crowded of late with weapons packs, IR parts, and boat parts sharing space with the stock bits, and everybody wants to put their weapons pack parts into the BDArmory tab only, they just can't figure out how to stop putting them in one of the vanilla tabs.

Can you tell the class how you hid the BDArmory parts from the 'Utility' tab? My Utility tab is getting way too crowded of late with weapons packs, IR parts, and boat parts sharing space with the stock bits, and everybody wants to put their weapons pack parts into the BDArmory tab only, they just can't figure out how to stop putting them in one of the vanilla tabs.

category = none

pulled straight from one of his config files :)

I kept forgetting to bring this up, but: can you expose the radar on/off toggle as an action group item? was a mild annoyance having to turn the thing on over and over when I was running tournament rounds ( if you don't, then lower TWR craft tend not to find each other at all ).

Can someone fill me in on how the cruise missiles work? I'm completely lost. I've tried everything: targeting using KSP's target system (like how some youtube vids show, but probably old system), locking using an airborne radar (but that only locks moving targets? Not ground ones), the airborne laser targeting pod (but it's radar-guided...), locking using a groud-based radar (again, only moving targets), etc. I just can't figure it out. Help?

I'm still learning BDA but so far i love it and i have streamed my learning process for BDA several times.

Quick question since it doesn't seem to have been mentioned though i could be wrong,

105 and it's quiet update has changed the heating system and i know BDA destroys parts by over heating them. Is there any comparability issues with 105, is there a BDA update in the works? etc etc.

Also, maybe i've done something wrong, but i seem to have an 8km air to ground physics distance that does not change even if i change the physics distance in the BDA menu. this is kind of annoying when you have 20KM ground radar and long range ground to air missiles.

Thanks

Well, after having reinstalled the game two times, BDA 9.9.1 was still giving me a horrible time, so I'm just using 8.8.3 because to heck with it that version works the other doesn't and I like 8.8.3 just fine and don't want to mess around wiht all this 'Radar locking' nonsense. At least I have all the ammo now. BTW, in 8.8.3, do some turrets/guns target AA stuff and others don't? Is there some sort of method to the madness? I like to use the chainguns as AA since they look cool, but only the goalkeepers seem to shoot. the vulcan turrets might also shoot, idk since I haven't tested them yet. And in something totally unrelated, does anyone else use radiators as armor or for regenerating armor? Maybe I could make a landship/regular ship covered in radiators. It'd be a 'Radiatorclad'.

Well, after having reinstalled the game two times, BDA 9.9.1 was still giving me a horrible time, so I'm just using 8.8.3 because to heck with it that version works the other doesn't and I like 8.8.3 just fine and don't want to mess around wiht all this 'Radar locking' nonsense. At least I have all the ammo now. BTW, in 8.8.3, do some turrets/guns target AA stuff and others don't? Is there some sort of method to the madness? I like to use the chainguns as AA since they look cool, but only the goalkeepers seem to shoot. the vulcan turrets might also shoot, idk since I haven't tested them yet. And in something totally unrelated, does anyone else use radiators as armor or for regenerating armor? Maybe I could make a landship/regular ship covered in radiators. It'd be a 'Radiatorclad'.

I don't think that you will be getting support for an older version.

Yes radiators are useful, but more for regenerating health rather than taking damage themselves.

I would expect heatshields to work better as shields.

[quote name='Generalstarwars333']Well, after having reinstalled the game two times, BDA 9.9.1 was still giving me a horrible time, so I'm just using 8.8.3 because to heck with it that version works the other doesn't and I like 8.8.3 just fine and don't want to mess around wiht all this 'Radar locking' nonsense. At least I have all the ammo now. BTW, in 8.8.3, do some turrets/guns target AA stuff and others don't? Is there some sort of method to the madness? I like to use the chainguns as AA since they look cool, but only the goalkeepers seem to shoot. the vulcan turrets might also shoot, idk since I haven't tested them yet. And in something totally unrelated, does anyone else use radiators as armor or for regenerating armor? Maybe I could make a landship/regular ship covered in radiators. It'd be a 'Radiatorclad'.[/QUOTE]

Radiators as the actual armor itself is a bad idea, but its still good to have a couple on to hasten recovery.

Also if you don't want to deal with the radar and such you can still use the latest BDA. Just open the BDA menu (Alt+B by default) and activate "Legacy Targeting". Then everything should work with the good 'ol double-click.

EDIT:
[quote name='Comwarrior']
Also, maybe i've done something wrong, but i seem to have an 8km air to ground physics distance that does not change even if i change the physics distance in the BDA menu. this is kind of annoying when you have 20KM ground radar and long range ground to air missiles.[/QUOTE]

I think Baha mentioned something like an 11km limit to loading landed vessels because after 11km ground physics gets kinda lax. So much so that I lost a MIRV crew pod because it "landed" about 18km from the active vessel nearly 20m under the actual ground. When I loaded it later to gather the crew it exploded violently. Mind this was with the stock unload range, and not BDA's doing.

The limit Baha put it prevents your tanks and so on from falling 20 meters (or worse), and then suddenly realizing they are underground when the active vessel gets within 11km. Edited by FungusForge

Another Cool Thing to think about for the BDA coding post 1.1:

Modual air-to-ground/air-to-air weapons are awesome. For one thing, you can convert the BLU-109 bunker buster bomb into an air-to-ground bunker busting MISSILE, AKA the AGM-130, just by swapping their butts. And the highly maneuverable (so much so that it's used as an anti-missile missile) RIM-162 ESSM surface-to-air missile? Yeah, that was developed from the old Sea Sparrow, which itself was developed from the AIM-4 Sparrow air-to-air missile. I'd really like if the modular weapons system were updated.

A few thoughts on usability, do with these what you will:

- 2 diameters, 0.325m and 0.625m, possibly controlled with a tweakable to reduce parts count on load.

- Have the root part of any missile be the center of it that includes the "Flight Logic Controller", which controls the missile tweakables previously controlled by the Modular Missile computer thing, as well as making the BDA Guard AI code able to recognize and fire it as a missile. Maybe a "missile designation" switch that kind of changes the name of the missile, maybe through 4 different possibilities having nothing to do with any type of missile, but sounding awesome, like "Cheetah", "Lynx", "Tiger", and "Lion".

- 6 different seeker heads: Active Radar (radar lock, long distance, Fire-and-Forget, rather heavy, maybe available in 0.625 only?), Passive Radar (requires the firing aircraft to keep a radar lock on the target at all times, but simple and light), Heat-Seeker (lightish, does what you think it does), Laser, Radar-Seeking (toggleable between and GPS (the lightest of the five). You can feel free to drop Passive radar, but I personally feel that the jump to miniaturized active radar guided missiles happened too recently. Also, it would make a pretty good balancing feature for a super long-range SAM or AAM.
- All seeker heads are usable in all modes (e. g., AGM, Cruise, SAM/AAM, Vac AVM), but if you use the GPS head on a Vac AVM or SAM/AAM, it acts like it would IRL and just fires at the co-ordinates specified because, to be honest, that was a really dumb idea you, the player, just had to make a GPS-guided AAM and you should be slapped for this idea by getting your ship almost exploded.)

- 2 different rocket motors for both diameters, both with high gimbal: Long Range and Short Range. Both carry their own (largely aesthetic) fin sets so the player doesn't have to triple their parts count by mirroring an entire new set of wings for their thirty-odd missiles. Short Range has more gimbal.

-Lots of different warhead types. Just two types for 0.35m (Traditional, Bunker Buster (really more like anti-armor)) but a long, long list of different warhead types for 0.625m: *takes breath*:BIG Bunker Busting, BIGGEST BUNKER BUSTING, Incendiary (?), Cluster (8x bomblets per warhead, gloriously OP for AAM/SAM work), FAB (large blast radius), fragmenting (or is frag a stupid idea that would just be hard to implement), and I'm sure many other users can come up with many obscure yet undoubtedly awesome other variants. Basically, this would open up yet another avenue for modders to go nuts with. To reduce parts count on load, I'd suggest having only two models of 0.625m warhead (Large, Medium) and then keeping the more powerful stuff to the Large model, which is of course much heavier, via tweakables.

Both .625 warhead models would function as adapters between 0.325 and 0.625 in a suitably bomb-like manner, eliminating the need to double parts count on load by having .625 variants of every seeker head.

- Maybe have toggleable aesthetic fins on every missile/bomb part? This would increase the amount of possibilities for aesthetic choices by players lots, but not cause too much work for you, the modder. Especially if it was just a 2D plane that you pasted the same transparent texture on and repeated around the part 4 times in radial symmetry. (e. g., only having to make 1 fin in the texture file)

- The tweakable warheads would work really well with the ability to switch textures. Would certainly make things easier on the (fictional) ground crews... =P

Alright, now I need to finish up my homework... >_<

Stop press: Oh, and a modular turret (AKA, just a base turret ring with RotSpeedHorz, RotSpeedVert, Yaw Limit, Vert Limit tweakables that you can attach bits to to armor it up, as well as a main attachment point for the gun) would be AWESOME. Think about what would happen if you made an anti-aircraft turret that shot rockets!
Also, upon further thought, are the rocket pods just hacks of the gun module to fire a slow projectile that looks like a rocket and explodes at a certain distance, just like the Milennium Cannon? Stands to reason it would be.... No. No. DON'T GO DIVING INTO THE .CFG FILES. BAD KAGAME. YOU HAVE A PROJECT DUE TOMORROW.

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Stop presses again, apologize to the theoretical printer people: Ooh, and the ability to automatically deploy radiators (e. g., "repair" the craft to the extent possible in the field), but only if there's an Engineer on board and the craft is landed, would be very cool.

*sighs* Getting back to work.

Also, if you're reading this where it contains the same thing said 2 times over with a slight difference in the end, sorry, I hit the Reply button instead of the Save Changes button on my edit. Oops.

[quote name='FlamingCygnet']1 question...how does one fire the hidden vulcan? i search everywhere and tried everything none is working...halp ;-;[/QUOTE]

Select (either through weapon manager--preffered--or right-click and hit 'toggle') and click the left mouse button. Make sure you have 20mm ammo onboard