[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

@OvenProofMars I have some more bugs to report:

1) Radiators from Interstellar act weird. They seem to line up with the black hole rather than the closest star.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/48730002220525769/1202732AE1F03AFCF9DD2E554E5600495E1E1D95/

2) There are some weird illumination effects and phantom forces in orbits near the black hole.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/48730002220532119/7221E671DE022705A9AF6A2098AA71C4F34B157E/

3) (Dolas-specific) There is an issue where warp drives can't be deactivated near Dolas. I think this is because the game sets the atmosphere boundary where a normal sized star should be. In other words, Dolas has an atmosphere as big as Kerbol's, so space-specific stuff won't work close to Dolas.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/48730002220529644/E35D1C5F985454E8CF4C35333B8131AC87BF79A4/

Thanks for testing :D regarding your findings:

1) good point, the radiators are most likely a custom class, and thus not reset by my script. I'll have to look into interstellar's code for that.

2) You are under constant acceleration/g-forces when close to the black hole, this is how the game reacts to these insane masses :P don't forget...it's still a black hole, you're not supposed to get close to them cos gravity and such . As for the lighting, there shouldn't be any. Can you describe it?

3) I'm currently working on a new way to create stars and planets, which in theory should fix all size related problems.

Thanks for testing :D regarding your findings:

2) You are under constant acceleration/g-forces when close to the black hole, this is how the game reacts to these insane masses :P don't forget...it's still a black hole, you're not supposed to get close to them cos gravity and such . As for the lighting, there shouldn't be any. Can you describe it?

@OvenProofMars

Just in regards to your number 2 point: You can't see it cause it's not a gif, but the phantom forces are making the ship wobble around like crazy, though that might be the point seeing as how it is a black hole. And the lighting you see in that picture is the weird lighting I was talking about. The black hole is in the background, so it is in interstellar space and theoretically there should be no lighting.

Also I have one more bug that I forgot to mention. The black hole doesn't seem to have a truly infinite SOI. When you get about 20,000 Tm from it, the skybox disappears, the camera breaks, and the velocity drops to 0.

Also there is a visual thing that kinda irked me but it's not actually a bug. When you transition from a star's SOI to the black hole's SOI, the starlight very suddenly cuts off. It's not very realistic. I think that if the game lets you adjust a star's light output, you could pretty easily fix this by writing a script that makes the lighting level dependent on how far the camera's focus is from the star.

Edited by FluffySilverUnicorn

Don't know if it's a problem with this mod, but after time warping from kerbin to the moon in a new game, my ship was suddenly on a kerbol orbit.

Also while making manoeuvres it shows the leaving Kerbin SOI thingy far before the mun, so i think the Kerbin SOI is for some reason WAY to small.

Edit: The ingame map says the SOI is 2347km :/

Other SOIs also seem to be to small:

Eve 2373

Duna 1336

Jool 68490

Edited by coolmodi

I possibly found a bug the planets are orbiting insanely fast while my spacecraft is orbiting at normal speed I don't know if I installed the mod wrong please help if you can

Don't know if it's a problem with this mod, but after time warping from kerbin to the moon in a new game, my ship was suddenly on a kerbol orbit.

Also while making manoeuvres it shows the leaving Kerbin SOI thingy far before the mun, so i think the Kerbin SOI is for some reason WAY to small.

Edit: The ingame map says the SOI is 2347km :/

Other SOIs also seem to be to small:

Eve 2373

Duna 1336

Jool 68490

This might be an unintentional side effect of my latest fix. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll take a look at it.

@FlufySilverUnicorn I don't think that's possible, or at least I haven't seen it done. The game currently basically has lights on or off, there's no dim sun at a distance. Only difference when standing on Moho vs Eeloo is how much EC your solar panels produce.

Here are some shots from my recent voyage to the Dolas System. Aerobraking and capture at Sentar, then gaining an orbit around Erin, a potential new Kerbal home. I used the Lionhead Aerospace Icarus Mod.

How did you set this up? I was under the impression the mod came with new stars, but that they were without planets/moons.

This is a very cool mod. Bookmarked and following this thread. Looking forward to updates.

How did you set this up? I was under the impression the mod came with new stars, but that they were without planets/moons.

This is a very cool mod. Bookmarked and following this thread. Looking forward to updates.

I posted a link to the Planet Factory planets that I used to populate the stars. All credit goes to the planet pack creators and the file is just an example of what you can do. It's a couple pages back if you want to download it and try it out.

@OvenProofMars

Mechjeb2 seems to break the game when you leave Kerbol's SOI. With a MechJeb part on my interstellar ship, the screen goes black, the GUI stops working, and the velocity goes NaN. You have to restart the game to fix it. Without a MechJeb part, it works fine. I think MechJeb works on the assumption that you are in Kerbol's SOI 100% of the time.

this mod should have a pack with a binary system... with each star in a eliptical orbit... orbting a concentric invisible point... :P

Barry, a planet pack included in Krag's planet factory creator edition, is a binary system orbiting a black hole.

this mod should have a pack with a binary system... with each star in a eliptical orbit... orbting a concentric invisible point... :P

I've been thinking about how to correctly implement binary stars, as the current game mechanics will only allow for a reconably realistic binary system when both stars have the same mass. When there's two stars with different masses the central point of gravity would also be moving around. Binary stars, especially those with different masses, would also vastly influence the orbit of orbiting bodies, which also cannot be simulated. Then there is the issue of the SOIs, which would be complex. I won't completely abandon the idea, but until I think of a realistic way of handling them I feel like there is is better stuff to implement.

I've been quite busy at work the last few days, and haven't had much time to work on the mod. I did however manage to recreate Kerbol from scratch only cloning the game object that holds the mesh and the materials. Although this doesn't seem like much it's a vastly different way of creating planets/stars that in theory should work much better with the game. Once i've tested it a bit more (there are still some classes that you need to manually create of which I'm not sure if I'm creating them correctly) I'll release a new version with the new methode and bug fixes. After which it'll be time for planets. Planets however are quite complex and literally have over 250 variables, parameters and classes you have to set properly, not counting the pqs_mods.

Does this mod work with career mode? Like does it break the archives like planet factory?

I don't know it's current effect on career mode, but since it uses the same methode for star creation as PF my guess would be that the archives break. I'm working on a new way to create stars and planets that should fix all issues associated with duplicate IDs and references that the PF methods has.

I currently have it with my career run (haven't left kerbol yet) It did have some really odd effect of spawning one of the "rescue X kerbal from orbit" in a orbit even higher than any of the suns added. So far I have seen no problems aside from that.

I currently have it with my career run (haven't left kerbol yet) It did have some really odd effect of spawning one of the "rescue X kerbal from orbit" in a orbit even higher than any of the suns added. So far I have seen no problems aside from that.

Yes... Just remember to use RSS to set the PF planets to orbit Kerbol.

I don't like the absurd escape velocities for these new stars, what would be a good mass for a 15k/s escape velocity?

I don't know it's current effect on career mode, but since it uses the same methode for star creation as PF my guess would be that the archives break. I'm working on a new way to create stars and planets that should fix all issues associated with duplicate IDs and references that the PF methods has.

Before creating terrestrial planets, why not make gas giants? They are probably easier to code.

Edited by Vanamonde
Successive posting.

Before creating terrestrial planets, why not make gas giants? They are probably easier to code.

Yeah, I'll probably start testing with those. They are pretty much the same as stars. Still trying to figure out how the entire PQS system works. I sincery hope that the game adds all the nesicary pqs mods by itself if I set the initial conditions right.

Lol, its just a preview for testing purposes. As for mod compatibility, I don't know boulderco, kethane seemed to work on 0.23.5 for me and PF:CE corrupts stuff on 0.24 x64 which has been mentioned numerous times. To use PF:CE use the 32 bit executable.

Edited by Vanamonde
Successive posting.

This bloody mod breaks boulderco and kethane and is incompatible with pfce without getting the bloody Kerbin inside Dolas!! Either you implement compatibility for all three of those or you add a planet creator api and fix boulderco and kethane! Until then this mod should not be released!

Funny thing is that Kethane is not updated for 24.2. So before you go ripping a mod author about his mod and telling him it doesn't work check to make sure the mods you have are installed. Also you don't have to install this mod right now.

On a side note this mod works 100% as adding 2 new stars and rearranging the positions of Kerbol planets. Both in 32 and 64 bit KSP.

Funny thing is that Kethane is not updated for 24.2. So before you go ripping a mod author about his mod and telling him it doesn't work check to make sure the mods you have are installed. Also you don't have to install this mod right now.

On a side note this mod works 100% as adding 2 new stars and rearranging the positions of Kerbol planets. Both in 32 and 64 bit KSP.

Kethane is updated..

And it does have the Kerbin-is-inside-Dolas-and-my-game-is-drunk glitch that Megalodon posted.

WAIT:

It's because I set my Sentar, Ablate, Inaccessable, and Spes to orbit Kerbol.

That needs to be fixed -_-

It is not the mod author's job to be compatible with other mods.

As long as it works with stock KSP then it is ready for release.

It is not the manufacturer's job to make sure the car works on the highway.

As long as it works on tarmac then it is ready for release.