[1.0.5] Snacks! Kerbal simplified life support v0.3.5

tgruetzm

The current implementation is actually tied to Kerbal stats: "Some Kerbals, especially courageous ones may sneak an extra snack at snack time, others may forget to eat if their stupidity is to high."

Although this encourages you to select stupid, uncourageous Kerbals if you're attempting an extremely long duration mission so I might revisit this to better balance it.

I'll take it into consideration. I don't think the effort would be very much to implement it as an option, but the mod was built around the idea of being quirky/slightly unpredictable to fit with my perception of Kerbal behavior.

Thanks! Only if it's not massive hassle

I'll take it into consideration. I don't think the effort would be very much to implement it as an option, but the mod was built around the idea of being quirky/slightly unpredictable to fit with my perception of Kerbal behavior.

What about adding/subtracting a random smaller number to/from the 6 hours period? I mean, one kerbal would eat every 6 hours plus (or minus) a random number between zero and, say, 120 minutes, depending on the kerbal stats...

The problem with varying when Kerbals individual eat is that it requires calculating snack supply levels on a more regular basis(IE could cause performance issues). Right now the Kerbal snack time is global, meaning all Kerbals eat at the same time, but the specific time varies. This means that the global snack supply only needs to be re-calculated about once per day.

On an unrelated note, the next version is making progress but I'm hoping to include snack ovens as well so it may be a few days yet or more... If anyone would like to contribute artistic talent, I'd like to have a more interesting snack toolbar icon. You will obviously get credit for any contributions/license it how you want. I spent way more time than I'd like to admit trying to create one and it didn't look nice once I had it loaded in the game.

The problem with varying when Kerbals individual eat is that it requires calculating snack supply levels on a more regular basis(IE could cause performance issues). Right now the Kerbal snack time is global, meaning all Kerbals eat at the same time, but the specific time varies. This means that the global snack supply only needs to be re-calculated about once per day.

On an unrelated note, the next version is making progress but I'm hoping to include snack ovens as well so it may be a few days yet or more... If anyone would like to contribute artistic talent, I'd like to have a more interesting snack toolbar icon. You will obviously get credit for any contributions/license it how you want. I spent way more time than I'd like to admit trying to create one and it didn't look nice once I had it loaded in the game.

I could try making an icon sometime tomorrow. :)

Ok, then. I also thought varying feeding frequency based on kerbal stats would need more processing (and programming effort). What about stripping the "stats part" and just make all of them eat at the same "6 plus/minus something" time?

BTW, I think eating frequency is fine as it is right now. But, since people (including you) are think about tweaking it, I thought about adding my 2 cents...

personally I like the randomness it helps recapture some of the intensity the mod looses when kerbal lives are no longer at stake, and I'd love to see the trend extended to things like snack baking yields. Though I do still think snacks should be weightless so as to not throw off peoples math to much(just imagine someone running out of Dv because they were hauling around more mass than expected because they were not eating their snacks fast enough) and other reasons I've said before so I won't bore anyone repeating them again here.

Ok, then. I also thought varying feeding frequency based on kerbal stats would need more processing (and programming effort). What about stripping the "stats part" and just make all of them eat at the same "6 plus/minus something" time?

BTW, I think eating frequency is fine as it is right now. But, since people (including you) are think about tweaking it, I thought about adding my 2 cents...

This is actually what is occurring now :) There is a global(or I guess in this case solar system wide) snack time that happens every 6 hours(randomly plus or minus 6 hours). The only thing I'm considering changing at the moment is how Kerbal stats affect consumption. Currently the model favors stupid Kerbals since they are likely to eat less. Courageous Kerbals eat more and therefore you might want to leave them back at the KSC. The stats don't drastically affect consumption, and personally I don't check stats before picking Kerbals for a mission but I'd still like to not penalize courages Kerbals as I currently am.

personally I like the randomness it helps recapture some of the intensity the mod looses when kerbal lives are no longer at stake, and I'd love to see the trend extended to things like snack baking yields. Though I do still think snacks should be weightless so as to not throw off peoples math to much(just imagine someone running out of Dv because they were hauling around more mass than expected because they were not eating their snacks fast enough) and other reasons I've said before so I won't bore anyone repeating them again here.

I definitely have no plans to remove this unpredictability and it will find it's way into other areas including snack ovens. I think it's absolutely necessary functionality to fit with the style of the mod. By nature Kerbals are not predictable creatures, at least in my mind.

Edited by tgruetzm

Just my take on the subject, but how about this:

Stupid Kerbals, instead of forgetting to eat, have a larger variance on when they eat. Sometimes they forget to eat, sometimes they forget that they HAVE eaten so they eat again.

Smark Kerbals are more logical and have less variance. A 100% smart kerbal would almost always eat on time and properly ration the food.

Cowardly Kerbals would panic as food reserves get lower and start to eat more/hoard food.

Brave Kerbals would go without food longer when the food reserves begin to get low, allowing other kerbals to eat instead.

This way your best crew would be Brave and Smart. They would be more predictable in food usage and would prolong a dwindling supply of snacks for just a bit longer.

Stupid Kerbals, instead of forgetting to eat, have a larger variance on when they eat. Sometimes they forget to eat, sometimes they forget that they HAVE eaten so they eat again.

Smark Kerbals are more logical and have less variance. A 100% smart kerbal would almost always eat on time and properly ration the food.

Cowardly Kerbals would panic as food reserves get lower and start to eat more/hoard food.

Brave Kerbals would go without food longer when the food reserves begin to get low, allowing other kerbals to eat instead.

This way your best crew would be Brave and Smart. They would be more predictable in food usage and would prolong a dwindling supply of snacks for just a bit longer.

I really like this idea. For a while today, I contemplated re-writing the entire logic of when/how Kerbals eat. I think I will do this at some point in the future, mostly because I'm not really happy with the current implementation. It works, but it could be better. It would offer completely independent consumption for each Kerbal instead of everyone eats at one time. It can be done in a way that doesn't affect performance if done correctly. I still might do it and make changes similar to the ones you suggested, but for the time being I need to focus on prior functionality I have planned like snack ovens!

I dunno a lot of mods that rely on kerbal stats penalize stupid kerbals this mod was an exception and that gave you a reason to consider using them.

• 3 weeks later...

It's still here! Development has slowed dramatically on Snacks :( I needed a break from it. There's more to come soon, but sometimes you just need to step away from things for a while and work on something else.

I like lumping all life support into one factor (snacks, in this case), but I'd prefer to have the result of running out be fatal. Not that I like dead kerbals, but I had a mishap (walked away from a loooong burn by a nerva) that resulted in a ship in an excessive orbit around kerbol, and they are never getting rescued. I'd rather take one reputation hit, and be done with them. As it is, I guess i have to terminate the flight from the tracking station. Anyway, it would be nice as an option.

Could you make this compatible with sandbox? So that the kerbals die when they run out.

There have been quite a few requests for this. My plan is to include it death as an optional penalty in the next release.

I made a toolbar icon that you can use, free of charge. If you want to include it, all I ask is a credit. If you don't like the icon as it is now, I could change it from a banana (get the reference?) into something else (burger, apple, cookie, cupcake, etc.) no problem. I have more than enough free time on my hands and I like to keep my vector graphics talents sharp.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23500849/snacks.png

So Hoping For a 0.25 release :D

This is the first "life support" mod entered in my KSP (I found "snacks" the best thing to be eaten by Kerbals) and hoping i could use it more and more :D

So Hoping For a 0.25 release :D

This is the first "life support" mod entered in my KSP (I found "snacks" the best thing to be eaten by Kerbals) and hoping i could use it more and more :D

I haven't really spent much time actually playing KSP after starting work on this mod. My plan has always been to really start using snacks for actual gameplay(instead of just testing) once I start a new .25 save. That point is here, but .25 kind of snuck up on me so it'll be a little while before I get around to playing with .25. Hopefully this weekend I'll find some time to recompile this and make sure it's working with .25. Unfortunately I don't plan on releasing any new functionality for a while yet. I've been experimenting with all kinds of fun and exciting things, but I'm just not sure that they are simple enough for the spirit of this mod.

Well it loads just fine, however I just took Jeb out to mun and back, and of the 50 snacks in the MK1 pod he ate zero. Although I have never used this mod before I assume he should have, at the very least, ate one snack on that trip. The other thing I noticed, though I am not convinced it is related yet, my craft used zero electric charge when on the dark side of Mun, I am not sure if that is a bug with snacks, a different mod, or maybe a random thing in KSP. I was in sandbox testing on my 32x save (since 64x is a crap shoot), though that most likely does not matter I would toss that in as well.

Well it loads just fine, however I just took Jeb out to mun and back, and of the 50 snacks in the MK1 pod he ate zero. Although I have never used this mod before I assume he should have, at the very least, ate one snack on that trip. The other thing I noticed, though I am not convinced it is related yet, my craft used zero electric charge when on the dark side of Mun, I am not sure if that is a bug with snacks, a different mod, or maybe a random thing in KSP. I was in sandbox testing on my 32x save (since 64x is a crap shoot), though that most likely does not matter I would toss that in as well.

Mun and Back can be a 10 hour trip. Try going to Minmus and back or better yet fast forwarding in orbit for a few minutes. Get up to about 300km and just orbit at full speed, letting say 10 days go by.