[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Oh well, if that's true I guess I'm going to have TWO massive tanks of hydrogen floating around Minmus :D

I can hear all you long-term expert bastards cringing from here. XD

Ok Ok I'll TRY and make the launcher smaller... :P Just for you Captain Sierra since your help has been invaluable.

Screw Efficiency! I ALWAYS Over-engineer! (usually cause im full of mistakes and need the extra padding :P)

Oh well, if that's true I guess I'm going to have TWO massive tanks of hydrogen floating around Minmus :D

I can hear all you long-term expert bastards cringing from here. XD

Ok Ok I'll TRY and make the launcher smaller... :P Just for you Captain Sierra since your help has been invaluable.

Yeah about your packrat. It looks like you managed to surface attach it . . . to the outside of the bay. That can happen with angle snap on. I'd advise the use of the tiny stack separator and nodes (hold the MOD key (ALT on windows) to disable surface attachment and snap it onto the node) to mount it. And assuming your not using that NTR stage as an SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit), then you probably have the delta V to get to any of Jool's moons. That honey badger might also have the TWR and delta V to do an SSTO Tylo landing (if you do a freaking SSTO Tylo landing then you have outdone ME, and you understand my level of veterancy).

That honey badger might also have the TWR and delta V to do an SSTO Tylo landing (if you do a freaking SSTO Tylo landing then you have outdone ME, and you understand my level of veterancy).

I had a look, and I doubt it... I wouldn't even know how to navigate there yet TBH :D

Incidentally.. I got my Packrat off the roof without it exploding, by detaching the rear chassis.. when I do that the roof rack comes off and the packrat falls free, however when I do that, one of the front wheels and the driver seat come off. I've been chasing the three wheeled rover around for about half an hour trying to reattach the wheel, but it won't let me. I can attach it to almost anywhere on the Packrat except for where it needs to go, and the seat.... well the seat won't even give me an attach option, I can pick it up, or drop it. I can't attach it. If I try and pick the packrat up, it explodes.

RAOK5BH.png

Roverdude, quick questions.

1) I quickly rebuilt that freighter you posted a pic of about 4-5 pages back (when I was asking about launch capability) and KER is telling me it has 953m/s dV fully loaded (full payload & fuel). There something I'm missing? And no, KER is not set to atmospheric.

2) In doing so I noticed the water Kontainer truss holds 135k liters, whereas every other configuration holds 27k liters. Uh, since when is water compressible at all, lead alone by a factor of 5? Is this a CFG typo or is there a legitimate reason for this?

EDIT:

I found a number 3.

3) the starlifter command pod description says it holds the ship's monopropellant tanks, yet it contains zero monoprop. Just a quick .cfg edit for next update: either remove the mention of monoprop, or throw a few thousand units of the stuff in there. :)

Edited by Captain Sierra

Roverdude, quick questions.

1) I quickly rebuilt that freighter you posted a pic of about 4-5 pages back (when I was asking about launch capability) and KER is telling me it has 953m/s dV fully loaded (full payload & fuel). There something I'm missing? And no, KER is not set to atmospheric.

Atmos vs Vac ISP issue maybe?

Atmos vs Vac ISP issue maybe?

Check the quote again.

And no, KER is not set to atmospheric.

Thats not the problem. And these are all replicas of the ones seen in the main post, so new users are going to assume those designs actually work. A replica Starlifter WITHOUT the MKS modules and the ore kontainers empty barely had enough delta V to go to Duna, and thats with an aerobrake, something these freighters should not have to count on (good luck using DRE if they do).

Got a few problems

After installing Community Tech Tree 1.1 and Tech Manager 1.5 all my FTT parts vanished. Even though i reinstalled the mod.

On the other hand, what mods are required to use Orbital Shipyard and rocket construction platform thingy?

Got a few problems

After installing Community Tech Tree 1.1 and Tech Manager 1.5 all my FTT parts vanished. Even though i reinstalled the mod.

On the other hand, what mods are required to use Orbital Shipyard and rocket construction platform thingy?

If you're playing career and install a new mod that adds parts or change its tech node, you have to buy them again in the R&D, even if you reseached it.

For the Orbital Shipyard and rocket construction platform, you have to install EPL.

Thanks for the EPL.

And, the thing is, i'm playing in Science mode, and those parts are nowhere to be founds. Neither in R&D, nor in the backyard.

EDIT: karbonite plus engines vanished too, i get missing parts flash as icons when entering SPH or VAB. Only thing existing in game is shypyard.

Edited by Stikkychaos

Each of the other nodes in your constellation adds a special feature to the game (e.g. MKS/OKS adds stations, Karbonite adds mining, ART adds the ability to mine asteroids, the survivablity pack adds specialty landing gear and escape pods) what special feature does this node add? What advantage is there to haul cargo using the stuff from this node, instead of using stock parts and/or parts from another mod?

Got a few problems

Make sure that the CTT is selected as the active tech tree. (look in the Tech tree interface in the upper right hand corner) There should be a drop down box, make sure the CTT is selected, if you have CTT installed and CTT isnt active you wont see the parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Each of the other nodes in your constellation adds a special feature to the game (e.g. MKS/OKS adds stations, Karbonite adds mining, ART adds the ability to mine asteroids, the survivablity pack adds specialty landing gear and escape pods) what special feature does this node add? What advantage is there to haul cargo using the stuff from this node, instead of using stock parts and/or parts from another mod?

It does it bigger... better... and with more style :P

Big storages with lesser and matching parts (engines, command pod, strutural parts).

what special feature does this node add? What advantage is there to haul cargo using the stuff from this node, instead of using stock parts and/or parts from another mod?

Well I'm not the dev, but I can point out a few things this pack has that most don't.

First, they're big. Really hefty parts, for hauling large amounts of stuff. Secondly, there's a big inline VTOL propfan engine, that's pretty rare, and another more conventional VTOL, which is rare in a cargo-carrying scale.

Finally, everything looks nice with an industrial feel. The pack isn't something you can't make out of other parts from other packs (perhaps scaled up a bit) but it's in an unusual base scale and ties together nicely. In short... if you're looking for a heavy lift reusable craft, this pack has stuff for making really nice heavy lift reusable craft!

Gave the Starlifter a joyride, RoverDude (pod, small LiqHyd Tank, Nuc Generator, two "small" large Nuc Engines, 2 radial sctructures, 18 Karborundum Samples, 4 4K batteries, 5 m SAS, and the larger Ion Torch Drive).

Lifted off like a beast, Escaped Kerbin's SoE like a beast, and was able to get it to Laythe (first time I did so EVER), within 3 years (maybe an hour or two, with time fast-forwarded).

Still need to get the hang of the Honey Badger, but the Starlifter is EPICALLY AWESOME!

Edited by Dire_Squid
forgot to mention the amount of Karborundum samples I popped on

Gave the Starlifter a joyride, RoverDude (pod, small LiqHyd Tank, Nuc Generator, two "small" large Nuc Engines, 2 radial sctructures, 18 Karborundum Samples, 4 4K batteries, 5 m SAS, and the larger Ion Torch Drive).

Lifted off like a beast, Escaped Kerbin's SoE like a beast, and was able to get it to Laythe (first time I did so EVER), within 3 years (maybe an hour or two, with time fast-forwarded).

Still need to get the hang of the Honey Badger, but the Starlifter is EPICALLY AWESOME!

How far can you get without the torch drive? I seem to be having severe problems with delta V.

I'm the opposite, I can handle the honey badger VTOL but I can't get anywhere with a starlifter for my life.

Hey RoverDude, I am using MKS, FTT and a few other mods of yours to build a base. I like to use the large docking ports to connect my base together instead of the inflatable tubes. I was wondering if you could make a new adaptor similar to your FTT 3-2 adaptor. I would like it to be either enclosed or maybe you could build a tube through the center (similar to how I did it in the picture). The way I did it was by allowing parts to clip into each other, but once I had a few of these set up my game began to crash fairly often.

26216c9.jpg

Thanks and I'm really enjoying your mod!

I have two very simple requests. I love all of your mods Roverdude, I don't use FTT that much because I prefer the balance of Near Future's nuclear reactors/electric engines, but I do like your cargo trusses and the kontainer system. Would it be possible to create an open cargo bay for the HoneyBadger, a'la the S-64 Skycrane helicopter? I'm thinking specifically for carrying slung MK3 MKS modules or perhaps cargo kontainers. Along a similar line, the Starlifter freighter cargo truss has no easy way to carry MK3 MKS modules. The "Cargo adapter" provides 4x 2.5m nodes, perhaps there could be a second "Cargo Adapter" but instead of 2 nodes top and bottom, it could have 1 node top and bottom centrally located with a 3.75m size? That would make transporting the MK3 modules a million times easier.

Keep up the awesome work!

In FTT_DuctedFan_med.cfg the node position is wrong:

node_stack_top = 0, 0, -2, 0, 0, 1, 2
node_attach = 0, 0, -2, 0, 0, 0

Right:

node_stack_top = 0, 0, -1.75, 0, 0, 1, 2
node_attach = 0, 0, -1.75, 0, 0, 0

I put an issue at github.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.