[1.0.4] ModuleRCSFX v4.2 Aug 23 OBSOLETE IN 1.0.5

NathanKell

That is a variable that must be set on a per part basis.

Right, but where in the config for said part should I insert it? Also, what syntax is required?

I tried inserting it into the ModuleRCSFX block and so far it doesn't seem to have changed anything, currently waiting on load to put it into the engine configs block.

Per the instructions correctThrust changes fuel flow and ISP. Not exactly what you want. Perhaps you want fullThrust.

It does go into the ModuleRCSFX block. If I'm not mistaken though fullThrust already defaults to false. Perhaps if you post a *.craft file of something you are having problems with we can help.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

Per the instructions correctThrust changes fuel flow and ISP. Perhaps you want fullthrust.

I'll probably try this as well, though from the readme, it seems that false for fullthrust is the stock game setting, so if MJ works correctly in stock, I'm not sure taking that away from stock will help.

Again though, I'm still unclear on it's these modifiers exact usage within a part config file, so I could be sticking the lines in entirely the wrong place and they'll have no effect whatsoever...

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRCSFX

correctThrust = false

fullThrust = false

yada

yada

yada

}

Yes fullThrust is defaulted false, and not many change that, RO might. correctThrust defaults to true, however it only changes the behavior in which fuel flow is calculated in respect to Isp, much the same way RealFuels does for engines. So that behavior isn't causing your problem.

Post a *.craft file so that we can potentially see what you are seeing.

Then you have a problem elsewhere. As I expected.

The problem exists somewhere in the interaction between Mechjeb, Real Fuels, and ModuleRCSFX as MJ had no problems until I installed the latter two. Where I'm getting lost is why I'm having so much trouble with this, but virtually no one else has ever seen the same issue... I can't be the only person to install Real Fuels with ModuleRCSFX, Stockalike configs, and then try to use MJ with RCS control only...

Edited by SpacedInvader

Perhaps it's the stockalike configs. Let's put it this way, with RO, (or at least my own version) I don't have problems with RCS. Do yourself a favor. Fresh install of KSP, MJ, RealFuels, and ModuleRCSFX. ONLY. Test a ship. Also, shut off any reaction wheel.

Your craft has too much stuff that I don't have, nor want to install just to help you. If you have something pure stock I'll take a look.

What I do know. It's not RF or RCSFX causing your issue. Stock is usually better because of the (over)use of reaction wheels, which do a darn good job of keeping attitude. RCS doesn't work so well. Probably why any real ship out there that DOES need to keep a fixed attitude uses reaction wheels, only using RCS for big manuevers, desaturating the wheels, etc.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

Some of the recent MJ builds had some attitude issues. Also I believe in recent versions of ModuleRCSFX there's sort of a fullThrust-lite as the default, which messes with MJ's PID slightly. When things aren't so insane with 1.0 I'll talk with Sarbian about it and get it sorted on both ends.

SpacedInvader screenshot in MJ thread shows not available torque at all so it may be that MJ does not see the ModuleRCSFX at all now (I don't see why it would do that ...). But yes, post 1.0 insanity :)

SpacedInvader screenshot in MJ thread shows not available torque at all so it may be that MJ does not see the ModuleRCSFX at all now (I don't see why it would do that ...). But yes, post 1.0 insanity :)

I just put up an edit to my last post in that thread. I created a fresh testing install to see if there were other factors beyond MJ, RF, and ModuleRCSFX. It seems that even MJ by itself in an otherwise stock game exhibits the same behavior, though with much less usage. Then Real Fuels / ModuleRCSFX seem to exacerbate it significantly when they are added into the mix.

I do hope you guys are able to figure it out, as I'd really love to be able to make a vehicle that doesn't rely on reaction wheels heavily, but I also understand that this is crunch time for mod developers, so it will just have to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

v4.0

* Update to KSP 1.0.

* Speed improvements. (Death to foreach! Don't recalculate values!)

* Removed EFFECTS support for now (doesn't work).

* Easy integration with TestFlight.

* Added useLever, tunable precision mode thrust, tweaked EPSILON support.

Ok, it states that this

*fixes the major known issues with the stock RCS Module (ModuleRCS)
but I haven't followed the discusions about the stock RCS module ... What are exactly the major known issues?

Ok, it states that this but I haven't followed the discusions about the stock RCS module ... What are exactly the major known issues?

The main reason I use modulercsfx is to enable RCS thrusters that are non-monoprop that fire in all directions correctly. Stock can't handle that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just learned this module allows RCS to use effect like from realplume? Then found out the effects are currently disabled. Is this something that will be fixed? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering, what are the major issues fixed for ModuleRCS?

Edit why are the axis buttons only active in the VAB and not during flight. THey would come in handly for space stations

Edited by FreeThinker

It uses the SetResource of ModuleRCS, so if there is a bug it is a stock bug.

No, in method works stock ModuleRCS I switched ModuleRCS for ModuleRCSFX and it no longed worked. Since a child class no longer correctly implements it method, it fails it's parent contract. Therefore its a bug of ModuleRCSFX

Edited by FreeThinker

ModuleRCSFX ignores the resource set by SetResource because it always works off PROPELLANTs. You'd have the same problem if you tried to run SetResource on a ModuleRCS part that started out with PROPELLANT configs, IIRC.

It appears ModuleRCSFX is realy a rough diamond which needs a little spit and polishing but then it becomes extremely versatile.

I managed to extend it with a Thrust limiter, Consume MegaJoules to power Resisitojet, Switch Propellants with different Isp and thrust behavior

, and expose VAB Buttons to in flight, added hidden features add put them all action groups.

Edited by FreeThinker