[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

16 hours ago, Temeter said:

Thanks for the update!

I've still got some older issue I had ever since trying vens post 1.1:

oMhK4DT.jpg

Basically the docking ports animation states overlap each other. E.g. the normal docking port shows the bumper extended, even though it starts with the retracted bumper as well (left). I can klick extend and get basically two extended bumpers (right), but that's not very helpfull, since I can't dock at all with bumpers. Shielded docking ports are even crazier. The only one working is the new parachute port. 2m port has the same issue, but also shows some z-fighting on its surface.

I sometimes also got the issue where solar panels also show their broken state overlapping the actual panel, or radiators being in a weird half opened state (and sometimes throwing exceptions) sometimes when loading a craft in VAB.

Now I'm wondering if there is some conflict with animation modules/addons, but I didn't really see any dependencies, and the configs didn't contain much relevant looking stuff as well. Can anyone point me in the direction of what the issue might be? Already tried removing/reinstalling the mod.

This doesn't happen with just stock + Vens, so you'll have to narrow down which mod is causing the docking ports, etc. to misbehave. Start with stock + Vens and add your other mods one at a time.

20 hours ago, CERVERUS said:

Can i delete all the SQUAD's mu. and dds. for save much memory if i use Ven's Revamp?

If by "memory" you mean hard disk space, then yes you can. I wouldn't recommend it though. If you want to revert back to stock you won't be able to and you won't save much space, maybe a 100 MB.

If you really do mean memory (i.e. RAM), then no - deleting the stock squad parts with Ven's installed won't make any difference.

Edited by MalevolentNinja

38 minutes ago, MalevolentNinja said:

This doesn't happen with just stock + Vens, so you'll have to narrow down which mod is causing the docking ports, etc. to misbehave. Start with stock + Vens and add your other mods one at a time.

Strange, could've sworn i've tried it with stock and had the same issue. But apparently purely stock works. Ok, so now on to check mods once again. ~

1 hour ago, MalevolentNinja said:

If by "memory" you mean hard disk space, then yes you can. I wouldn't recommend it though. If you want to revert back to stock you won't be able to and you won't save much space, maybe a 100 MB.

If you really do mean memory (i.e. RAM), then no - deleting the stock squad parts with Ven's installed won't make any difference.

Actually, it should - IIRC, Squad's asset loader loads EVERYTHING in the gamedata folder into memory on initial load, and that would probably include the squad parts. Minus those, you might save some memory. I MAY be wrong, though.

So just tried playing with the community patch and it kills the RPM navball on this IVA:

Altitude, velocity, and the shape of the ball are visible but it is just a black circle. Im not 100% but Im pretty sure thats just using the ASET pages for the MFD, not sure how I would go about patching out whatever is causing the conflict

Edited by Terrible Inclinations

16 hours ago, MalevolentNinja said:

After a thorough search, I found the Kerbal Optical Alignment Indicator (+sounds) to be the culprit. Seems like an obvious thing to check, but it's hard to keep track of 40+ mods. :^)

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction tho!

Edited by Temeter

Dear ven, let me start off by saying im a long time user of your mod and a great fan!
after testing out the mod in the latest version of ksp i have found it looks badass as always :D
i did run into one bug though (probably because of some version of mod combo's on my end, dont worry about that one*)
i did though walk into a usability issue. you see, im a great fan of flying IVA missions and designing SSTO/spaceplane like constructions.

and i have recently taken to using the mk-1 inline cockpit for a few reasons:

A: it doesnt look like a damn private jet cockpit but something that should go to space

B: it has internals that realistically would allow the kerbal to crawl to a front mounted docking port (immersion! woo!)

now i was happy seeing what you did with the docking ports (square doors! like the internals! more immersion! woo!)

the only problem... the shielded docking port. my design lynchpin.

well, you can see the problem below:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=678959207

the default shielded docking port parts in 3 ways, meaning i can deflect two of the shields "to the right and left shoulder" of the pilot, and one down.

and because its a circle, it doesnt matter if i technicly use it upside down/slightly off center etc.

but because your version is split in four, and the door is put in in such a way that the shields have to pop open up/down/left/right, the shield clipts into the protruding wings, and block the pilots view, making docking from IVA infinitely more difficuly.

so a request, if you will: would it be possible to add an additional shielded docking port that handles in an X shape instead of a + shape?
(yes, i know i can just rotate the part but then the door will be facing diagonal, and the internal mk1 inline door is straight. sorry, its an immersiona/IVA thing, and it would make things at least 20% more cool if they matched up!)

id make the part myself but i dont know how to change textures in ksp, just config files.. :/

*when holding the mouse over a command pod the windows turn see-through, and i can see the part behind it

2 hours ago, Tandoori said:

@Thahat You could always just edit the texture file for the docking door yourself by rotating it 30 degrees, and saving as a new version of the part.

i know how to make a new config with a new name (and thus a part) i think i can figure out how to make a copy of the texture and MAYBE even how to edit it (the dds file docking port 2k?) but the texture is what i would call "flat packed", i would not have a clue what to rotate where,.. :/

3 minutes ago, Tandoori said:

Okay, I admittedly don't have any experience with it myself, so I don't want to send you up the wrong tree, but perhaps when used in conjuction with TextureReplacer, somehow?

Yeah your sending me up the wrong tree man, hahaha XD. no need for texture replacer. i just need to figure out how to rotate the door propperly.
-after some time-
i have by now figured out the texture but simply put: there is a problem. Ven has been exidingly efficient(nice Ven, Nice!) and made the door out of 4x a quarter door (only the quarter door is drawn in a quarter circle) to save space and be a badass i guess :D

the downside of this is: if you want to rotate the door i cant just edit the texture. it has to be "wrapped" around the model differently (because if i cheat and in photoshop made a whole door myself, rotate that, and split it into a quarter corner, the parts wont be symetrically flippable)

in other words, back to begging Ven to make an X shaped shield alongside his + shaped one :P

@Thahat If you're really worried about realism, that docking port is perfectly fine. There is no reason to make the door into a 90 degree angle in space, since there is no up and down anyway. You'd rather construct the door so it ultilized the interior in the most efficient way, which should be especially important for such a tiny craft.

Edited by Temeter

13 minutes ago, MalevolentNinja said:

ummmm... rotate the docking port?

6wnCadl.jpg

notice the door's orientation?
and beyond the more immersion breaking effect:
your proposed sollution messes with docking indication when flying normal and IVA, messes with mechjebs force 0degrees orientation
(i did think of this, tried it, did not like it. currently flying with an unshielded docking port, which works fine but looks infintely less badass, and strangely enough causes the forward facing wings (which you awsomely displayed, thanks XD) to heat up. not to exploding or anthing but somehow it seems to have an effect on the aerodynamics of the craft? idk.

17 minutes ago, Thahat said:

notice the door's orientation?

99% of the time, no :)

g0BljL9.jpg

17 minutes ago, Thahat said:

and beyond the more immersion breaking effect:
your proposed sollution messes with docking indication when flying normal and IVA, messes with mechjebs force 0degrees orientation
(i did think of this, tried it, did not like it. currently flying with an unshielded docking port, which works fine but looks infintely less badass, and strangely enough causes the forward facing wings (which you awsomely displayed, thanks XD) to heat up. not to exploding or anthing but somehow it seems to have an effect on the aerodynamics of the craft? idk.

In all seriousness though, this is a limitation of the lego style of building in KSP. Can you imagine how many parts we would need to solve every possible design constraint that ever limited a player's choices? It's not up to me, but I would vote that any time Ven wants to spend on this mod be put to use updating for 1.1 and adding cool new parts we can all use instead of one-off parts that 1% of players can find a use for.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to put your request in perspective.

Edited by MalevolentNinja

2 minutes ago, MalevolentNinja said:

99% of the time, no :)

g0BljL9.jpg

In all serious though, this is a limitation of the lego style of building in KSP. Can you imagine how many parts we would need to solve every possible design constraint that ever limited a player's choices? It's not up to me, but I would vote that any time Vens wants to spend on this mod be put to use updating for 1.1 and adding cool new parts we can all use instead of one-off parts that 1% of players can find a use for.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to put your request in perspective.

No offence taken man! dont worry!, i had concidered this, but seeing as there is only one shielded docking port in the game a second one would not look so strange to me. But yeah i see your note about the time/effort issue, but hey, thats why i asked nicely, and would ofcoarse accept a NO as an answer :D
Im just hoping for a "sure why not" from our lord and saviour Ven because lets face it, animations, modeling, 99% of the code minus one line change are done, hell i could do the damn code if needed XD the only problem is the texture wrapping, i cant make that myself :'( wouldent know where to begin! but im guessing that is more a software/knowledge issue that a time/effort intensive issue.  so We'll see :D as the kerbals motto probably is: nothing ventured nothing gained!

Communitron 88-X isn't compatible or integrated with Remote Tech. Can put it on a craft, but it still has the packet transfer rate in the details, and the energy usage as amount/packet. Doesn't connect with other antennas in RT either. Just something I noticed while playing it today. KSP 1.1.2, Win 10 64-bit

KSP 1.1.2 build id = 01260 x64
VenStockRevamp 1.9.2

Testing VenStockRevamp 1.9.2 & Remotech i found Com part have some problem or missing attribute (Communotron 88-X (commsAntenna88-X), Comms DTS-M5 (commsAntennaDTS-M5), Comms DTS-M7 (commsAntennaDTS-M7), Communotron 32 (commsDish32)). The missing are atribute: %Mode0DishRange = value number, %Mode1DishRange = value number, %DishAngle = value number what in game they are found like > Dish Range, Cone Angle. Digging more i found Ven not have a specific config patch for Remotech (example RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg) or at list i not found one.

Same it seams to have some problem with some texture & PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Spoiler

[ERR 01:37:13.740] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Aero/model000' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:13.741] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Aero/model001' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:14.383] File error:
    [ERR 01:37:14.490] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/IVA/AirplaneTail_LUM' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:14.544] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/IVA/AirplaneTail_LUM' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:14.589] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/IVA/AirplaneTail_LUM' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:14.633] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/IVA/Props/AirspeedFace' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:14.642] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/IVA/Props/AOAFace' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:14.667] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/IVA/Props/DynPressureFace' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:14.790] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/IVA/Props/MachFace' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:15.316] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/Decouplers_NRM' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:15.582] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/ksp_l_midrangeEngine_diff' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:15.583] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/ksp_l_midrangeEngine_normal' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:15.584] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/Skipper_Lum' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:16.151] Texture 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Structural/model000' not found!
    [ERR 01:37:30.178] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
    [ERR 01:37:30.187] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
    [ERR 01:37:30.195] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
    [ERR 01:37:32.298] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Heatshields/HeatShieldS0' as model does not exist
    [ERR 01:37:32.299] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly
    [ERR 01:37:32.299] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model
    [ERR 01:37:32.299] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Logs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9RK2PFOUhe3bjRsWnM4LVpldFU

Cheers

On 04/05/2016 at 4:08 PM, NathanKell said:

v1.9.2 has been released to tide us over until the full, proper update. Thanks, @Ven, for letting us do this! :)

Thanks to everyone involved for this! Will attachment nodes be updated in the next official version? Some seem off to me, I tend to need to manually adjust stuff like decouplers/heatshields.

And to people using RT, I might make a MM patch later today to add compatibility to the new antennas. And maybe change the name of the communitron 32, since RT already has one of those lol (@Ven maybe a name change in the next version would be good?). If people have suggestions for ranges for vens' antennas that would compliment the standard RT ones let me know

Going through the configs, when suddenly, a wild typo appears! Latest version. I'll post any more if I finds 'em.

Engine.cfg-->liquidEngineMini   

@Module[ModuleJettison] {
        @ettisonName = fairing
    }

---Edit---

I also think Ven's Hammer SRB no longer has heatAnimation for FXModuleAnimateThrottle, but his patch doesn't remove the module from the Hammer, so it throws a message in the log. Or something. Minor issue.

----Edit2----

@Rodger Check out the Remote Tech included patches for Lack Luster Labs (LLL Antennas.cfg) - Lack also has a Communotron 32 and a Communotron 64, and RT gives them different values as well (7000000 and 15000000 respectively), since they're larger than the RT variant (5000000).

-----Secret Ninja Edit----

Thumper has same issue as Hammer with FXModuleAnimateThrottle.

Edited by Deimos Rast

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

@Rodger Check out the Remote Tech included patches for Lack Luster Labs (LLL Antennas.cfg) - Lack also has a Communotron 32 and a Communotron 64, and RT gives them different values as well (7000000 and 15000000 respectively), since they're larger than the RT variant (5000000).

Haha cool I'll check that out. I was thinking of making vens com32 a longish range short range dish, say for covering the jool system, as there is a dish in the model.

8 hours ago, Thahat said:

i had concidered this, but seeing as there is only one shielded docking port in the game a second one would not look so strange to me.

Just thought you might want to check out this mod - there's a pointy shielded docking port which looks quite nice, tho the hatch isn't ven-alike (maybe that'd be tweakable with some MM trickery?):

2 hours ago, Rodger said:

Haha cool I'll check that out. I was thinking of making vens com32 a longish range short range dish, say for covering the jool system, as there is a dish in the model.

Oh is it a dish? Lack's are antennas (I was thinking along the lines of the Communotron 16) so the patch is for Omni's and wouldn't really convert:P. Still, your best bet is probably to comb through the RT patches. Sorry I couldn't help more.

And I would recommend Dr. Kermanassus's Parts Emporium - the probe core in there is nice for scanning. nli2work does a lot of high quality work.

---Edit---

shielded docking ports: Nertea's MIV has one, I believe OPT has one as well.

---Edit2---

Also, Ven's doesn't seem to have been updated to account for the integration of AsteroidDay parts into stock KSP, as there are still numerous checks for :NEEDS[AsteroidDay] so unless that can trigger on the AsteroidDay folder squirreled away at Squad/Part/Misc/AsteroidDay (I'm not sure on this, but I thought it only works on first level folders, or plugins), it needs to be updated.

Edited by Deimos Rast

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.