[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 2:27 AM, MrKibe said:

Hello, I'm having some trouble where one of the landing gears's suspension on my craft keeps dying and the left side of my plane just tips over, so near to the ground that I can't even lift off like that. It's not the weight because it's always one side only, and I've installed the mod via CKAN. I tried it with the large and medium landing gears, and it persisted with both of them. Any idea on what the issue is here?

Posting a craft file of the vessel it's happening on would go a long way to helping others help you. (If it's a vessel with mod part, name the mods the parts come from).

Have you tried adjusting the suspension? Also, any time this has happened to me has always been a mass problem: vessel too heavy. I once made a spaceplane (using OPT parts) that required 4 of the large gears to bear all the weight so I could take-off.

Without know the state of your game (mods) and vessel (design), I can't really comment much more.

First of all, I'd like to offer a huge "Thank you!" and tell you how much I really appreciate this mod.  The landing gear are really, really nice, and a vast improvement over stock.  They don't just look good -- the flexibility they provide truly helps.

I do have a question for you -- and I'm loathe to say it because of all the flack people have been getting on the forums.  Superficially, the question is "Are you working on an update for 1.1?", but I'm not asking because I want to know when the mod will be updated.  The reason I'm asking is that it's very clear from Squad's progress updates over the last six months that wheels in KSP 1.1 changed dramatically and required a lot of reworking on their part.  Certainly, wheels (especially friction) in the stock 1.1 landing gear parts behave differently than before.  More realistically, in my opinion.  The new stock landing gear seem to behave more like real airplane tires, instead of the NASCAR racing slick behavior they used to exhibit.

The question is, if you're working on an update, what challenges does the new system create for updating a wheel-centric mod?  This is purely out of curiosity on my part; as both a programmer and a pilot it's got me wondering how complicated it will be making these wheels work under the new system.

I'm going to guess that since wheels are still a WIP (work in progress), that this won't be updated until after 1.1 is finally released.  At that point, I would think a couple of weeks, depending on how much time the author has to work on it

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm going to guess that since wheels are still a WIP (work in progress), that this won't be updated until after 1.1 is finally released.  At that point, I would think a couple of weeks, depending on how much time the author has to work on it

Yeah, that's what I would guess too, but I'm actually much more interested in the "what" than the "when".  It will get changed when it gets changed.  

After everything Squad said about the changes to wheels in this release, I'm curious about the details of what needs to actually change.

Adjustable Landing Gear relied on code modified from Firespitter which used the old wheel colliders.  I'll probably have to rewrite parts of it to use the new wheel modules.  I'll probably also have to work on the models in Unity.  According to the dev notes, they're still making changes to the Unity setup of wheels, so I'll have to wait and see where they end up first.

Stuffing something in the suggestions box given incoming rework ( well a few of things ), I'm pretty sure at least some have come up before but I can't remember what.

* Scalable wheel seperate to the whole thing ( this sounds rather awkward )
* Cylindrical door option for mounting on/in circular sections.
* Sideways-folding slimline version for wing mounts.
* Perhaps one with no enclosure box for use stuck to large fuselages, but that might be quite awkward to work with in the editor.
* Shorter leg version

Thanks for all the work, as ever.

12 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Stuffing something in the suggestions box given incoming rework ( well a few of things ), I'm pretty sure at least some have come up before but I can't remember what.

There's probably a reason why this doesn't already exist, buried somewhere in the last 29 pages, so I apologize if this has been asked before.  Is it possible to add integrated landing lights?

Just now, martinezfg11 said:

Seriously? Are you just going to go from topic to topic with this?

Have you been following me? Like all my planes from the past few months, including the SPLICER V use this mod and I can't use any of them now D:

stay with 1.0.5 and don't bug the modders.

It will get updated, when and if they have the time and want to.

Not based on your schedule.

@BahamutoD.  Good luck with all of your conversions and updates, and thanks for all of your great work.

Cheers.

@Fireheart318  when a new release is out it takes modders around 2 weeks to update a mod, so rule of thumb is play on your old install for two weeks. The pre-release has helped a lot mods get on track but the 1.1 change is fairly complex so it may take a little longer due to the complexity of 1.1. As stated by BahamutoD it relied on some firespitter code the more complex the mod the longer the wait this mod is very popular so I have no doubt it will be updated patience is the key.

Edited by Virtualgenius

On 12.04.2016 at 8:26 PM, Van Disaster said:

* Shorter leg version

This. Oh yeah, I've thought about it a 100 times.
Also, sideways retracting ones. 
Awaiting update. ALL my planes are broken without this. :(

9 hours ago, BlueNightfury00786 said:

Sadly my planes are broke as well; and I tried to fix them with reinstalling a mod to test if it'd work. Knowing myself that It'd not work but I do it anyways. Crafts break themselves somehow.

Load your craft in KSP 1.0.5., remove landing gears and save craft files to be able load them in KSP 1.1.x
There you can try to revise them with stock wheels. I know, it still not adjustable landing gear, but give mod developer a time to recompile it for KSP1..1. Considering that even stock wheels still have issues, we all should be patient about it.

Repeated request that players want this mod in 1.1. will not going to make things faster, only becoming more annoying with each post.

16 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Load your craft in KSP 1.0.5., remove landing gears and save craft files to be able load them in KSP 1.1.x
There you can try to revise them with stock wheels. I know, it still not adjustable landing gear, but give mod developer a time to recompile it for KSP1..1. Considering that even stock wheels still have issues, we all should be patient about it.

Repeated request that players want this mod in 1.1. will not going to make things faster, only becoming more annoying with each post.

Does it look like I can use 1.0.5? Steam won't Fudging let me... sorry for the language, I just am mad that I keep on losing planes and Land vehicles etc due to updates.. and the fact I don't keep copys of them as I forget.

Edited by BlueNightfury00786

10 hours ago, BlueNightfury00786 said:

Does it look like I can use 1.0.5? Steam won't Fudging let me... sorry for the language, I just am mad that I keep on losing planes and Land vehicles etc due to updates.. and the fact I don't keep copys of them as I forget.

There isn't much you can do unless you kept a copy of 1.05 somewhere. One thing you could try is to edit the .craft files directly and remove the child nodes for the landing gear. As it is unlikely you have any parts attached to the gear itself, it shouldn't be too tricky (make a backup of your .craft file first).

13 hours ago, BlueNightfury00786 said:

It's usually a good idea to not mod your steam install for this reason.  Copy the KSP folder out of Steam and mod it there (it will work fine).  KSP updates will happen and they will break mods.  No way around that.

4 hours ago, blowfish said:

It's usually a good idea to not mod your steam install for this reason.  Copy the KSP folder out of Steam and mod it there (it will work fine).  KSP updates will happen and they will break mods.  No way around that.

I clearly made it clear I made a mistake yes but there's no need to tell me if I knew it from the start. I just get too excited to the point I don't pay attention.

On 4/23/2016 at 2:24 PM, sashan said:

This. Oh yeah, I've thought about it a 100 times.
Also, sideways retracting ones. 
Awaiting update. ALL my planes are broken without this. :(

Yeah, i cant even use his sweet FJ105-D2 in 1.1 due to this not being updated yet. I assume it will be updated either today or tomorrow because he updated mods like vesselmover and vesselswitcher already