[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Hello!

I am returning to Realism overhaul and the hardcore rocketry stuff after a pretty long break and it is really nice to see how things are going forward here.

I have a couple of questions I am not sure about.

There are various parts most of which are plane cockpits that have a unique form factor or size meaning that they will not fit any other part properly. How to deal with such parts?

On what plane or planes in terms of size and weight are the stock Mk3 parts based? They just seem so huge!

Does Realism overhaul rescale any of the cockpits or other parts internals as of the current version? If so how does that affect the position of the kerbals in the seats and their field of view?

Any answers appreciated!

I'm getting a bug where rcs randomly stops working. I am positive that I placed The rcs thrusters right, and they have acces To The right type of fuell. Just sometimed the rcs thursters on the craft suddenly don't fire when I get to Orbit.

Sometimes some do and others don't. Sometimes they do fire, and drain fuell too, but randomly stop working suddenly (while only a small portion of The fuell they require is drained).

I have been unable to Discover any circumstances in which this bug occurs, it seems To be completely random. 

I started a ro/rss/rp-0 career recently and the problem I'm having is with the water. If my ships touch it they explode and the surviving parts dance about even at less than 1ms.

making splashdowns impossible

is there a fix or have a done something wrong with install?

i used ckan to install. I have all the dependent mods. Majority of the recommended. Some suggested and a couple of others. At work so can't give a complete list atm

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:53 AM, Sput42 said:

Well, unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. I believe it stopped the explosion, but it still had an ejection force way too high. So pretty much what chrisl is seeing.

The other bug I had around that time (end of January) was that SM and CM didn't properly decouple. I didn't have a problem with spinning, but the SM would decouple and then immediately latch on again, but slightly skewed. No way to get those separated properly other than reloading and trying again a few times, or rotating quickly enough to get the thing thrown away before it could latch on again.

That said, I didn't get around to play KSP since end of January. I did try your (not really) fixed .mu and ran a mission with it, with the above results. But I can't say if things have improved in later updates.

I have a temporary "fix" for the IU/SLA problem that causing the LM to fly away when you decouple it.  I just increased the length of the SLA so that the landing gear on the LM don't hang below the bottom of the SLA.  It's not a perfect fix since it does add about 50% to the height of the SLA, but it's the best I could come up with until someone with collider knowledge (like stratochief66, I don't know how to correct that kind of thing) can take a look at the graphic.

As far as the CM/SM decoupler, my "solution" has been to decouple and immediately create a quicksave, then load the quicksave.  This works for me because I have KSP setup to not store any debris.  It's not a good work around, but it's the best I could come up with right now.  Like the SLA, I have a feeling there is a collider issue that's resulting in the decouple catching on some part of the CM.

Hello, I have issue with RO/RSS and MechJeb (and KER too) reading of Altitude (true) from surface is different in map view and ship view. In Map view surface altitude is same ASL altitude, in ship view it seems correct. This cause rather annoying RUD events once hitting surface. How to solve it? (all mods latest for 1.0.5 KSP 32-bit on Windows)

On 3/7/2016 at 2:50 AM, Kitspace said:

There are various parts most of which are plane cockpits that have a unique form factor or size meaning that they will not fit any other part properly. How to deal with such parts?

Procedural parts. RO is meant to be played using them. You can create any shape with any dimension you like.

On what plane or planes in terms of size and weight are the stock Mk3 parts based? They just seem so huge!

The MK3 parts are based on the STS (Space Shuttle).

Does Realism overhaul rescale any of the cockpits or other parts internals as of the current version? If so how does that affect the position of the kerbals in the seats and their field of view?

Not yet. Rescaling internals was on the list as a "feature" to be included with the 1.0.4 --> 1.0.5 RO update but for some reason it never made it. Crew positioning is not affected but there is an obvious misalignment between the view ports and the rest of the internal.

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

Procedural parts. RO is meant to be played using them. You can create any shape with any dimension you like.

The procedural parts are perfect for rockets but they can only be of round cross section so they will not fit quite a lot of the plane parts which are not round. This is what I am asking.

@Phineas Freak 1.0.5 does support it, yeah, we just have to do it. Volunteers? :)

@makuclib yeah, PQS is off in map view, so getting terrain height doesn't work. That's how it goes.

Whole bunch of these I didn't update the OP for. NOTE: If you're upgrading from 10.9, make sure you delete your RO folder before installing an update! (CKAN does this for you).

Thanks to Chrisl, Phineas Freak, Raidernick, Agathorn, SirKeplan, mellons85, stratochief66, and NathanKell

• Fixes to FASA Nova/Saturn C-8 support.
  • Fix HM-7 conifgs.
  • Improve RSB support.
  • Add support for RN Aerobee.
  • Fix RN Thor/Delta, Scout masses to account for fin mass.
  • Fix some tanks incorrectly given type RCS.
  • Fix some AIES tank changes.
  • Fix RD-107/8 verniers for SSTU version.
  • Improve TestFlight configs.
  • Add a clone of the proc part tank that has heat shielding.
  • Tweak upwards Castor I / II reliability, A-4 engine reliability.
  • Add TF configs for Proton engines.
  • Make the basic NERVA config directly model the actual NERVA I desgin.
  • Support VSR cryo tanks.
  • Support SXT's NTRs.
  • Support Tantares NERVA as NERVA I
  • Add support for RealISRU plumes.
  • Add a center of mass offset to the Tiny Tim solid booster so its CoM is not at its base.
  • Patch SXT cockpit voxelization until next FAR.
  • Thor/Juno craft files (thanks Raidernick)
  • Adjust TestFlight configs to be more generous about air-lighting engines.
  • Fix gimbal and fuel issues with SSTU RD-107/8 (thanks SirKeplan)
  • Fix LR91 plume, add missing vernier transform to LR91-AJ-3 model.
  • Stock fuel cell conversion rate adjusted to same as current FASA Gemini (thanks Schnobs/Laie)
  • Set Earth to be a planet where helmets can be removed (thanks PhineasFreak)
  • Further SSTU improvements thanks to Shadowmage and stratochief
  • Lower RD-108 starting reliability slightly
  • Update ModuleManager to 2.6.18
  • Standardize Bell 80xx engine (XLR81/Agena) config naming with other USAF engines, update Agena D masses (thanks A1Ch1)
  • Fix issues with FASA and AIES titan bits (thanks SirKeplan and NK)
  • Update Able and Delta antenna ranges (thanks PhineasFreak)
  • Add 1/10th size RCS block (thanks A1Ch1)
  • Fix missing SPU on Early Saturn instrument unit
  • Backend fixes for upcoming RP-0 release

Thank you very much for the update! Installing those now!

Other than that I have noticed at least two cockpit internals that to me currently seem to be rescaled though. One is the Mk2 interior used in the two seat Mk1 parts which makes perfect sense as the parts are smaller and much more cramped so the cockpit has to be smaller but the thing is your field of view is quite severely limited as the actual head of your kerbal is high above the windows. The second cockpit is the stock Mk3 one which apparently is compressed in its length slightly so kerbal in the back seat is breathing right into your ear over your shoulder. Is there any particular reason for this one? Because it does make it feel more like a real life cockpit but again the thing is you have to look at your shoes just to see your instruments as they are too close to you.

Are these two rescales described above intentional and is any further tweaking for them planned?

Thank you!

On 7.03.2016 at 1:50 AM, Kitspace said:

I remember that B-52 cockpit from SXT has unique shape, I am going to recreate that plane and make proper tanks and a bomb bay by resizing the stock Mk3 System but don't expect anything soon. Currently I'm working on B-29 and there is at least 5-10 planes which I am going to recreate before B-52.

5 hours ago, Kitspace said:

Thank you very much for the update! Installing those now!

Other than that I have noticed at least two cockpit internals that to me currently seem to be rescaled though. One is the Mk2 interior used in the two seat Mk1 parts which makes perfect sense as the parts are smaller and much more cramped so the cockpit has to be smaller but the thing is your field of view is quite severely limited as the actual head of your kerbal is high above the windows. The second cockpit is the stock Mk3 one which apparently is compressed in its length slightly so kerbal in the back seat is breathing right into your ear over your shoulder. Is there any particular reason for this one? Because it does make it feel more like a real life cockpit but again the thing is you have to look at your shoes just to see your instruments as they are too close to you.

Are these two rescales described above intentional and is any further tweaking for them planned?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, NathanKell said:

1.0.5 does support it, yeah, we just have to do it. Volunteers? :)

I'm not aware of any of the regular RO contributors looking into that, so no tweaks are planned or underway. The IVA might for the parts you mentioned might have been rescaled when the part itself was asymmetrically rescaled. I honestly don't know how/if those relate. As @NathanKell mentioned, the IVA can now be rescaled as of 1.0.5 (possibly due to changes he himself added to the game. Speaking of IVA, he is our mean on the 'inside' :P) If you want to take a look into that and contribute any changes to RO we would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure @NathanKell could let you know what variable needs to be adjusted, or point you to documentation of how rescaling using Module Manager code is performed.

Just a heads up: There seems to be a CKAN conflict with RO when installing NecroBones' RealScaleBoosters, in that both packs want to install craft files (e.g. RSB Atlas V 401.craft). Since I figured it's most natural for NecroBones to want to distribute his own ships, it made sense to file it here.

Not sure if it's just me: The NK33/43 (Bobcats soviet engines, didn't yet test other engines of the pack) and advanced AJ10 (SXT or FASA, think it's the former) don't have any Plume-effect in thin atmosphere/orbit? Other engines seem to work fine.

Edited by Temeter

Any chance that this mod could get RO support?

http://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/239291-spacex-landing-legs

It's easy to install using CKAN and provides the only key SpaceX part that isn't available as RO-modded stock parts or replicable using procedural parts which is great for low-memory installs, where single-part mods are king.

Edited by nilof

10 hours ago, nilof said:

Any chance that this mod could get RO support?

http://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/239291-spacex-landing-legs

It's easy to install using CKAN and provides the only key SpaceX part that isn't available as RO-modded stock parts or replicable using procedural parts which is great for low-memory installs, where single-part mods are king.

Sure there is a chance, if you configure it and submit the config to the RO Github. If you research sources for the real masses and dimensions of the parts, you're most of the way there. We're happy to help you learn to make your first realism overhaul config, there are tons of examples to draw from to see how its done. :)

v10.9.4

NOTE Uninstall TestFlight and TestFlight's RO configs before installing this. After it is installed, reinstall TestFlight but not any TestFlight config packs. RO is now the source for all RO TestFlight configs.

• Further Aerobee fixes.
  • Fully incorporate all RO TestFlight configs
  • Further RSB fixes (Agena D, Eyes Turned Skyward Carrack and Saturn IC / Multibody).
  • Fix Castor II issue.
  • Support SXT airbags.
  • Further tweak TF reliability for the imported TF configs, improve burn time ratings.

On 3/8/2016 at 0:01 AM, NathanKell said:

1.0.5 does support it, yeah, we just have to do it. Volunteers? :)

I'd like to take a look and see how difficult it is. What are the guidelines for rescaling?

@Kitspace if you are talking about the Mk2 & Mk3 then the only way to use them is with themselves (and with other mods that provide parts with the same shape of course). Or, as @winged mentioned, by creating custom parts that can fit the form factor.

@winged I was speaking in general--there are many, many IVAs to scale.

@Phineas Freak awesome! You can just put

scaleAll = xScale, yScale, zScale

in the root node of an internal (i.e. @INTERNAL[whatever the internal name is] { %scaleAll = ... } ), where those numbers are the numbers in the scale = x, y, z in the part's MODEL node.

You also should add a

%kerbalScale = x, y, z

in each of the MODULE[InternalSeat] in that INTERNAL--though to avoid odd kerbals, x had better be the same as y and z.

You can also play around with kerbalEyeOffset (goes in the same place, offsets the camera when in IVA). and kerbalOffset (offsets the kerbal in the seat).

I'm having a similar issue with scaling.  Currently I'm creating an RO patch for the USI Exploration Pack and it's excellent PackRat buggy.  But instead of increasing it's size by 60%, I'm actually trying to make it smaller so it looks nicer when a tiny Kerbal is standing next to it.

I have all the parts properly re-sized and the attach nodes properly moved so the buggy looks good and can be easily assembled with KAS, but the wheels are doing something weird.  When the buggy is suspended on another object during assembly (like the KAS Pylon), the wheel drops abnormally low.  Then later when driving the wheel seems to lose spring power in the shock absorbers and the axels bottom out.  I can drive it well enough, but it looks like the springs busted!  I'm thinking this is related to two different (yet related) problems:

1.  The hang-low problem probably has to do with some hidden object like collider mesh or something I am not knowledgeable about.  My guess is whatever that hidden object is probably isn't being scaled like the visible mesh.

2.  Well, actually I don't really have a theory about the weird spring (or lack there-of).  Maybe the smaller scaled item needs an increase in gravity resistance?!?!

@PART[PackRat_MiniWheel]:BEFORE[RealismOverhaul]
{
	%RSSROConfig = True
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 0.55, 0.55, 0.55
	}

// @node_attach = 0.3, 0.322, 0.00, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1    // Original conf
	@node_attach =    0.26, 0.222, 0.00, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1
	// @node_stack_top = 0.3, 0.322, 0.00, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0 // Original conf
	@node_stack_top = 0.26, 0.222, 0.00, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0

@scale = 0.55
	@rescaleFactor = 0.55
	@mass = 0.020
}

I can shoot some screen-shots later tonight if my ramblings above aren't making sense.  :)

Thanks in advance!