The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

Hey CKAN peeps, I've got a question regarding the handling of optional third-party components in an add-on.

Context of the Problem

I'm currently working on the FusTek Station Parts pack, which I did not add to CKAN as there is no stable release (yet).

The Station Parts pack includes a ModuleManager patch to allow texture switching for the various station modules; this feature uses the Firespitter plugin, which will (hypothetically) be listed in the metadata as supported but not required - no drama there.

I currently have a special AltTexturePacks subdirectory under GameData/FusTek/Parts - this directory is usually empty, but users would be allowed to add alternative texture sets. Thanks to the magic of ModuleManager, the assets from each texture set are automatically added to the main texture switcher patch, and the system is robust enough to deal with texture sets installed/uninstalled in different orders and combinations.

The crux of the problem is that this essentially means that one of my add-on's subfolders is freely modifiable by users, and my understanding is that CKAN would refuse to uninstall/update FusTek if it finds that a user has "meddled" with the existing installation.

The alt-texture makers and I originally tried moving the alt texture set out of the FusTek folder, but this often causes issues with ModuleManager, as the patches may not be loaded in the correct order to build the texture switcher options properly (in layman's terms, FusTek's original texture switcher patch needs to be loaded into the game first, while the alt-texture pack config entries are appended afterwards).

What are you guys' thoughts on this?

When I installed CKAN, I already had a few mods in my gamedata folder. These were autodetected by CKAN. How do I transform these to proper ckan-managed mods? The mods in question are modulemanager, remotetech, waypoint manager, kerbal alarm clock, comcat mission menu.

Deleting the folders and forcing a check crashes ckan.

I suggest you be more specific about what happens when you try; quote the precise error message, delete half and see what happens, etc.

I suggest you be more specific about what happens when you try; quote the precise error message, delete half and see what happens, etc.

Fine. I deleted the folders for remotetech, triggertech (alarmclock & tranfer window planner), and waypointmanager. I then started CKAN and clicked "refresh". CKAN crashes with the message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit, the application will close immediately.

Exception of type 'CKAN.InconsistentKraken' was thrown.

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
The following inconsistencies were found:
ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech requires RemoteTech but nothing provides it at CKAN.SanityChecker.EnforceConsistency(IEnumerable`1 modules, IEnumerable`1 dlls)
at CKAN.RegistryManager.Save(Boolean enforce_consistency)
at CKAN.KSP.ScanGameData()
at CKAN.Main.UpdateRepo()
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/ckan.exe
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Transactions
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
CodeBase: file:///D:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 

Hey CKAN peeps, I've got a question regarding the handling of optional third-party components in an add-on.

Context of the Problem

I'm currently working on the FusTek Station Parts pack, which I did not add to CKAN as there is no stable release (yet).

The Station Parts pack includes a ModuleManager patch to allow texture switching for the various station modules; this feature uses the Firespitter plugin, which will (hypothetically) be listed in the metadata as supported but not required - no drama there.

I currently have a special AltTexturePacks subdirectory under GameData/FusTek/Parts - this directory is usually empty, but users would be allowed to add alternative texture sets. Thanks to the magic of ModuleManager, the assets from each texture set are automatically added to the main texture switcher patch, and the system is robust enough to deal with texture sets installed/uninstalled in different orders and combinations.

The crux of the problem is that this essentially means that one of my add-on's subfolders is freely modifiable by users, and my understanding is that CKAN would refuse to uninstall/update FusTek if it finds that a user has "meddled" with the existing installation.

The alt-texture makers and I originally tried moving the alt texture set out of the FusTek folder, but this often causes issues with ModuleManager, as the patches may not be loaded in the correct order to build the texture switcher options properly (in layman's terms, FusTek's original texture switcher patch needs to be loaded into the game first, while the alt-texture pack config entries are appended afterwards).

What are you guys' thoughts on this?

CKAN tracks files not directories, so long as the files being "meddled" with aren't part of the actual mod install, CKAN won't touch them or care about them.

CKAN tracks files not directories, so long as the files being "meddled" with aren't part of the actual mod install, CKAN won't touch them or care about them.
it does indeed. Just clarify further. A good idea is to look inside the CKAN / Downloads folder. If a mod is there it being managed by CKAN. So don't delete it from the working copy in the gamedata folder. If you have a mod installed that is not there. It should be appearing in CKAN marked "AD". Deleting those marked mods will not affect CKAN at all.

This next bit will be as clear as mud because I am one tired and sleepy puppy right now :blush: . So please jump in a correct me folks...

Rarely it is possible to have CKAN installed mod with dependency on a pre-existing non-CKAN mod. However once the folder is deleted and the mod reloaded via CKAN all will be good. Also uninstalling and reinstalling a mod in CKAN checks for other required mods. So it will work it self out by loading the missing mod. So it all works out fine in the end.

Edited by nobodyhasthis

That is true, but problem arise when you uninstall such altered mod trough CKAN. You may think that you have uninstalled mod, but since there is files inside mod folder that was not handled by CKAN, whole mod folder still remains inside gamedata, but only partly, with those additional config files generated after first install.

That would not be problem on it's own, but when MM patches add some alterations in config files based on condition if some other mod is installed or not, it looks only for existance on mod folder, not if there is core mod files inside that mod folder or not. If you are not aware of this and not wipe out whole folder by yourself after CKAN finish it's own uninstall procedure it can lead to unexpected events.

I have reported this in this post, so you can read all about it there if you need more info.

Other people also reported similar things, so until better solution is provided trough CKAN, just pay attention for this and you will be more-less safe.

Just don't report bugs in developers thread before you checked if you are actualy properly installed/uninstalled mods trough CKAN, no one want to chase ghost bugs.

So its not explained too well on the wiki, but how do I get access to the command line in CKAN? The wiki just lists commands to enter in "your terminal" but looking around the client I dont see an option to bring one up. Does it mean the windows command prompt or something?

So its not explained too well on the wiki, but how do I get access to the command line in CKAN? The wiki just lists commands to enter in "your terminal" but looking around the client I dont see an option to bring one up. Does it mean the windows command prompt or something?

Yes, the Terminal is essentially the Command Prompt, just CMD is the Windows console, whereas Terminal is the Linux and Mac console. They use the same commands concerning THIS program, but not usually with most things. Directory styles are different, so take that into consideration when entering commands. Also remember to either cd into the directory of the CKAN exe or reference the whole directory.

EDIT: Further clarification.

Edited by ArceusMI

CKAN has gone rogue and started writing temp files in places it has no business. I have a very small partition on my Windows side that is actually a sub-partition of a Linux install. In any event it has a measly 256MB on this (since it is effectively a placeholder), but CKAN seems to think this is an excellent place to dump its temp files, so predictably when trying to download Realism Overhaul it pukes when it runs out of temp space.

Bug submitted into GitHub for this one. It's a show stopper for me.

When trying to install multiple mods at once I get the following error:

Unhandled exception:

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Caneb\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp8C0B.tmp' because it is being used by another process.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)

at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader.ModuleDownloadsComplete(NetFileCache cache, Uri[] urls, String[] filenames, Exception[] errors)

at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader.<DownloadModules>c__AnonStorey2.<>m__1(Uri[] _uris, String[] paths, Exception[] errors)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

I'm guessing a thread is trying to access the file before another thread has released its lock?

Finally had a chance to check this out, and it's epic awesome. I would like to request a feature to 'favorite' a mod without installing it, so that mods I use or am interested in can be marked visibly in the list for easy access.

Thanks, guys.

Hey this is probably just something temporary, but i have to ask anyway. When i go to settings and i try to add a new repository i guess its called (i want to add the mechjeb-dev branch) CKAN hangs when i press New, and then eventually pops up a new window with "Failed to fetch master list". Am i doing anything wrong? Thank you.

There is lack of dependenicies/relation between ModuleAnimateEmissive and SolverEngines. You can't install Solver engine because some of its files are listed to belong to ModuleAnimateEmissive mod and if you try to install ModuleAnimateEmissive first, you can't install SolverEngines because some files already exist in it's folder.

About to install...

* ModuleAnimateEmissive v1.5 (cached)

* SolverEngines v1.5 (cached)

Module "Animate Emissive Module" successfully installed

Oh no! We tried to overwrite a file owned by another mod!

Please try a `ckan update` and try again.

If this problem re-occurs, then it maybe a packaging bug.

Please report it at:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/issues/new

Please including the following information in your report:

File : GameData/SolverEngines/SolverEngines.version

Installing Mod : SolverEngines v1.5

Owning Mod : ModuleAnimateEmissive

CKAN Version : v1.10.0-0-gb447380 (beta)

Your GameData has been returned to its original state.

Another example of issues when CKAN try to be overprotective when comes to preventing faulty installs. Such feature to be protective has backfired to CKAN once again, preventing user to install mods at all.

Hey this is probably just something temporary, but i have to ask anyway. When i go to settings and i try to add a new repository i guess its called (i want to add the mechjeb-dev branch) CKAN hangs when i press New, and then eventually pops up a new window with "Failed to fetch master list". Am i doing anything wrong? Thank you.

Just came here to report the same issue with CKAN this morning.

There is lack of dependenicies/relation between ModuleAnimateEmissive and SolverEngines. You can't install Solver engine because some of its files are listed to belong to ModuleAnimateEmissive mod and if you try to install ModuleAnimateEmissive first, you can't install SolverEngines because some files already exist in it's folder.

This issue is now resolved.

Just came here to report the same issue with CKAN this morning.

This is a hosting issue currently, but it also made us aware that CKAN shouldn't just stop when it can't reach certain servers.

Is there any way to flag mod files offered on KerbalStuff as incompatible, not found or not working?

Since KSP 1.0.4 I get a lot of mods that are not compatible with that version but claim to be compatible in CKAN, and a few mod files that end up 404 when I try to download them.

This issue may already be addressed, but I am having a problem trying to install the Astronomer's Visual Pack with CKAN. It gives me this error: Screenshot%202015-07-06%2012.40.55_zpsecjdhr8j.png

At one time, I did have the BoxSat mod on my system through CKAN, but decided I didn't like it. I deleted it through CKAN. This morning, I was going to add some elements to the Astronomer's Visual Pack and now cannot do anything with it. I even tried uninstalling it through CKAN, but boy, was that a mistake - now I cannot download any of the AVE mod... :mad:

This issue may already be addressed, but I am having a problem trying to install the Astronomer's Visual Pack with CKAN. It gives me this error: http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah79/alansimmons1/What%20happened/Screenshot%202015-07-06%2012.40.55_zpsecjdhr8j.png

At one time, I did have the BoxSat mod on my system through CKAN, but decided I didn't like it. I deleted it through CKAN. This morning, I was going to add some elements to the Astronomer's Visual Pack and now cannot do anything with it. I even tried uninstalling it through CKAN, but boy, was that a mistake - now I cannot download any of the AVE mod... :mad:

Yep, it was reported by myself and several other users as well. Most probably after you have removed BoxSat, CKAN was not deleted whole BoxSat folder due to remains of config files or such written when you have run the game.

You should wipe out mod folder by yourself when CKAN detects file leftovers in it. After that new install should work fine. Hope it helps.

Yep, it was reported by myself and several other users as well. Most probably after you have removed BoxSat, CKAN was not deleted whole BoxSat folder due to remains of config files or such written when you have run the game.

You should wipe out mod folder by yourself when CKAN detects file leftovers in it. After that new install should work fine. Hope it helps.

I thought that was the case. I actually deleted everything out of my GameData folder (and made backups of key files), then reinstalled everything using CKAN. Am dreading the whole loading KSP because now the ATM will probably take forever. Guess the laundry will get done after all! Thanks for the advice.

hi all can you believe it I have just now discovered this piece of rare jem.

its increased my mods folder from 6 to about 20 lol

so first off awesome thank you a F&^% ton for developing this.

secondly I would like to ask is there a way to create a favorites group in this soft wear for uninstalled mods so I can keep the mods I like in a specific group so when a new patch comes out I don't have to wright them all down before uninstalling them

yours in respect and admiration

the hawk from za

There is no favorite group, but there is export file. You can use *.ckan file to install your favoriter mods on new instance of KSP, share it with your friends or you can use export file from someone else to install exactly same mods.

Don't know how it will behave when new KSP verion comes out, will it alow to install older mod versions, will it install only compatible mods, updated versions of same mod, etc.

Plenty of unknown variables with export feature.

When I try updating Realism Overhaul its says:

The following inconsistencies were found: HotRockets 1.0.4.1 conflicts with RealPlume v0.0, can't install both.

but I don't have RealPlume v0.0 installed only hotrockets.

Also when I try updating far its says:

Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Kerbal Space Program (realism overhall)\Ships\@thumbs\SPH\FAR Blitzableiter.png'.

even though this path appears to work fine.

Finally had a chance to check this out, and it's epic awesome. I would like to request a feature to 'favorite' a mod without installing it, so that mods I use or am interested in can be marked visibly in the list for easy access.

Thanks, guys.

I also would like to track updates of a selection of mods without installing via having favourites.

I also would like a `force install` option. Very much. Also a `force wipe` to delete the folder even if there are files/folders left in it.

I also have the `System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\*my user name*\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp8C0B.tmp' because it is being used by another process.` error.

I would also like to have CKAN display a list of all the updated mods, not just the ones I have installed, although not at the expense of a separate list of updated mods that are also installed.

These are my +1s

EDIT :

Remove Hotrockets. RO requires RealPlume.

Is it possible for Realplume to not require RO? I`d love to have real plumes in my install without having to go the full RO route...

Edited by John FX

Remove Hotrockets. RO requires RealPlume.

Thanks that worked. I'm not sure why I had hotrockets installed instead of real plumes though, did this dependency change?