[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2015 at 11:33 AM, RoverDude said:

Actually it goes about 16x lightspeed currently... explain to me the case for making it go even faster please :wink:

I found the case.

I got the Galactic Neighborhood mod, and I found this while looking for a way to actually get to the other systems. Unfortunately... at maximum warp it's gonna take me half an hour to get to my target, and I can't time warp. I found this out a few minutes into the journey, and I decided to go through with it. Fuel isn't a problem, but I've been browsing the forums for a while and I'm halfway there... MechJeb tells me I'm 5.250 Tm from my target as I type this.

My question is, is it safe to increase the WarpFactor in the Config? If it is and I do, would this make it unusable for in-system exploration? If so, would it be possible to get another part which gives us a separate part for interstellar voyages? Or would it just be possible to enable time warp to work with the bubble?

Btw, I'm impressed with this mod. The visual effects are great and it feels very balanced. I'm also a fan of the Exploration Pack and USI Life Support. Thanks for all your excellent work!

I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to make the Warp Field Bubble size tweakable? Where a larger bubble would require more power? There's been on occasion instances where my ships are just a tad bigger than the biggest bubble, and I'd prefer to not be editing the config files (I feel that's a bit too cheaty).

• 5 weeks later...

quick question: what is the xenon used for? i've been flying around but it's not getting used up, or used up extremely slowly. i thought it was for RCS but i think i'm wrong

2nd: is there a tutorial somewhere for doing a warp leg transfer? i was looking at http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_interplanetary_warp but the part about using mechjeb (which i use) doesn't quite make any sense. any youtube vids or better help? 

dank!

I like this news. I would indeed like massive Warp Drives. Maybe a weird Inline one that has a cool animation for the ring to appear

On 6/21/2016 at 7:47 PM, Toonu said:

Is still planned 3.75 or 5m ring? I don't need it now. But I think it will be usefull in future. Don't take it as request, just asking if it is in todo or not...

Thanks... Ave!

Toonu

On 6/21/2016 at 8:05 PM, RoverDude said:

Eventually :wink:

Sorry if not posting in the right place. Total forum noob here. Not really sure how to make this work. Been playing ksp 1.1.2 for about 4 mths. I cannot for the life of me get this craft to warp. Tried so many combinations of components and not one of them seem to do anything? I know it's pretty vague to go with, any insight to those successful at this would be greatly appreciatied. I have tried IXS mod, warpdrive and countless others to see a warp bubble appear and....... Nothing!

Thanks folks

Edited by JohnBoyKerbal

@JohnBoyKerbal The thing that most new folks run into is not being in a high enough orbit. It's 1 planetary radius, so for Kerbin 600km. You need to be located above this altitude ASL, not just have your apoapsis there. If you want to change that value I explain how with module manager a page or two back.

I agree I must be doing something wrong. Just wondering if any of the warp drive mods actually work on KSP 1.1.3. Spent countless hours using any of the mods out there. Does anybody have any images or downloads of crafts so I could do a comparison on what is needed to what I have at this time. Running FAR, Mechjeb and interplanetary mods.

Thanks again

48 minutes ago, JohnBoyKerbal said:

I agree I must be doing something wrong. Just wondering if any of the warp drive mods actually work on KSP 1.1.3. Spent countless hours using any of the mods out there. Does anybody have any images or downloads of crafts so I could do a comparison on what is needed to what I have at this time. Running FAR, Mechjeb and interplanetary mods.

Well KSPI-E Alcubaire drive certainly works, and get you to any star.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/21/2016 at 6:23 PM, dresoccer4 said:

quick question: what is the xenon used for? i've been flying around but it's not getting used up, or used up extremely slowly. i thought it was for RCS but i think i'm wrong

2nd: is there a tutorial somewhere for doing a warp leg transfer? i was looking at http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_interplanetary_warp but the part about using mechjeb (which i use) doesn't quite make any sense. any youtube vids or better help? 

dank!

Placeholder so I can use the throttle controls :wink:

On 7/29/2016 at 10:04 AM, JohnBoyKerbal said:

Thanks again

Everything for this mod is bundled with it - show us your craft, show us a screenshot of your GameData folder as well.

On 7/29/2016 at 10:53 AM, FreeThinker said:

Well KSPI-E Alcubaire drive certainly works, and get you to any star.

The rub being you get all of the baggage that is KSPI-E.  Probably best to just help the user sort his install issue since, as indicated on the tin, this mod works perfectly fine in 1.1.3

On 2016-07-31 at 8:54 AM, RoverDude said:

Placeholder so I can use the throttle controls :wink:

Everything for this mod is bundled with it - show us your craft, show us a screenshot of your GameData folder as well.

The rub being you get all of the baggage that is KSPI-E.  Probably best to just help the user sort his install issue since, as indicated on the tin, this mod works perfectly fine in 1.1.3

Was able to get `er going :)  Was nothing but an altitude issue and wrong information. Thanks all, been most helpful. Now if I can only figure out how to get Outer Planets to go.

Have a great day all.

2 hours ago, Vilfix said:

for some reason no matter how many chargers and xenon gas canisters I put on the engine just turns off please help!!!:confused:

You have to be high enough in my orbit. Which is the usual cause of what you describe. And also happens to be referenced and talked about right above your post already. 

So I came across what might be either a bug or a mod conflict. So I got 1.1.3, and installed the larger warp drive on a spaceplane. Though, when I try to escape Kerbin in warp, the orbital map freezes my position. (i.e. Im near Eeloo, but the map shows that Im still next to Kerbin.) Then, once I enter the influence of Eeloo, the game spawns me back to where I was on the map. Leaving the bubble outside of Kerbin influence does not update the position on the map.  Stuck in a constant loop.

What do?

I'm confused here, I am using NEAR nuclear reactors to generate power, I have full exotic matter, but when I click activate engine nothing happens. The warp bubble just appears for a second and then shrinks and I don't go anywhere. I did everything in the OP tutorial but nothing is happening. Help please! I really want to try this out!

1 minute ago, Gman_builder said:

I'm confused here, I am using NEAR nuclear reactors to generate power, I have full exotic matter, but when I click activate engine nothing happens. The warp bubble just appears for a second and then shrinks and I don't go anywhere. I did everything in the OP tutorial but nothing is happening. Help please! I really want to try this out!

Are you high enough in orbit?

3 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

What altitude is "high enough"

I'm at 100,000 meters right now

I don't recall off hand.  But it is way higher than that.  It is the most common issue in this thread so it should be easy enough to find.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.