[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Flef said he was going to make one. If nothing comes of it, I'll probably end up making a config for KSPRC as its my visual mod of choice.

Nothing to come out.

I do pretty much what I want on stock planets but on OPM ones, it is an enigma for me. I tried a lot of things but... nothing ended up with a positive result.

Nothing to come out.

I do pretty much what I want on stock planets but on OPM ones, it is an enigma for me. I tried a lot of things but... nothing ended up with a positive result.

I have time over the weekend so I'll make a config for everyone then :)

I finally got around to updating the hi-res texture pack to 1.5.2. Be careful that this is for people with really good computers. These bigger textures take up a lot of memory. If you're already struggling with the default textures, then this is not for you. You can find it both in the OP and here:

High-Res Texture Pack (4K/8K)

Hello again, guys!

My computer had some memory problems and I had to uninstall OPM, but the last versions were so compelling I HAD to try it again. I reinstalled today and, to my dismay, the clouds were missing (I don't use AVP, only EVE).

Then I tried this suggestion and the clouds were back. But Tekto had no visible clouds (at least seen from the observatory). So, I tried the GUI (Alt+N) but now GUI showed up... I'm using 64-bit Linux, even tried RShift+N and... nothing!

What else can I do? Or Tekto's clouds only show under AVP?

Tekto should work with the EoO config I made. It's not as 'full', but it should still be visually excellent. I'll have another look through the config tonight, just to be sure.

Ok I just tested again as it seems my memory was a bit off. It will indeed save the PQS and load it as well. The problem comes when you try to export scaledmesh. It looks like the mesh only uses spheres or something, because the scaledmesh is still spherical in shape and not like what you see in the picture below.

http://i.imgur.com/tM0k6VM.jpg

Is this heightmap based or is it a PQSMod? Either way could you share it with me. Then I'll have something to work from, since it should be possible to extend weird shapes to ScaledSpace as Augustus' Qbic shows:

y0DmocT.png

Edited by CaptRobau

That's the PQSMod.

Add a PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate in Kittopia (observe results while being close enough with a vessel for the pqs to load) and try to update scaledspace in kittopia... Maybe Augustus used some other way though, or it is just that one PQSMod that gives kittopia trouble.

Edited by Tellion

Using Qbik as a base I've been managing to get more and more egg/oval shaped moons (both in map and non-map view) using height maps with gradients. The shapes aren't perfect yet, but I feel I can get to that point. I won't make any promises, but it's looking good.

Using Qbik as a base I've been managing to get more and more egg/oval shaped moons (both in map and non-map view) using height maps with gradients. The shapes aren't perfect yet, but I feel I can get to that point. I won't make any promises, but it's looking good.

Could you please explain which are the needed pieces?

I have the heightmap I think will work,

I think I have to add this right?

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap{

heightMap = myfolder/myheightmap.png

heightMapDeformity = 37.898

heightMapOffset = 0

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

}

where should I add it?

maybe like this?

@Kopernicus{

@Body[Ovok]

{

@ScaledVersion

{

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = myfolder/myheightmap.png

heightMapDeformity = 37.898

heightMapOffset = 0

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

}

}

}

}

Edited by Sigma88

You'll want to have a much higher deformity. Such low deformity means the height map is spherified. At least 10000

Here's the mod which has Qbik in it:

https://github.com/00Augustus00/Planet-Factory-Planets-for-KopernicusTech/releases

I put that number because of the formula I've found here, which is:

VertexHeightmap has a low order and goes early. Given the vertex's original position it will look up the corresponding texel in the heightmap. The vertex's new elevation will be original_elevation + heightMapOffset + heightMapDeformity * white_level_of_texel. That becomes the new elevation of the vertex and is passed on to the next PQSMod in order.

so for ovok, 13000+0+deformity*255=22600 (where 22600 is the maximum height I want, corresponding to the 255 level of white in the highest point of the map) baseline is zero since the lowest point is exactly at the planet radius

If this is not correct, is there a way to calculate the correct number or is it just a matter of trial and error?

PS: thank you for the link

Hi, do anyone else get stuck at loading slate_map? I installed it fresh and it worked perfect on version 1.4.0.

I removed the cache map in activemanager folder, but it still hangs on that specific file slate_map. And it hangs at the same time in 64 as in 86 version of ksp.

Cheers for your work

If you're using ATM and this is the first time you've loaded OPM, when you load the game go and watch a TV program. It may look likes it has crashed and hanging, but it hasn't. It just takes a loooooong time. If it does crash, then reload. And keep reloading until the game runs. It will eventually.

I think i got it after making a new map and pasting it in there, my guess is that windows 8.1 prob messed with the settings for admin and so on .

I wanted to say that this mod made my interest in interstellar flights in ksp peak again so thank you Cap Robau =)

Thx

Ed

I mean, wth, could play fine . BUT after i quit and trying to play now it crash during loading again. I get a lot of data not found for all the planets, and i was playing 5 minutes ago. I guess a troll lives in my harddrive

Edited by ahappydude

Nope it isnt the first time, as i wrote it worked perfect with v 1.4.0 =) And the two files arent write protected, nor are the folder they are in either. Thx anyway

It doesn't give me any problem, try downloading the mod from another source, I've read that people had problems with one or the other mod site

I downloaded it from kerbalstuff (which was the one giving problems to the other guy, so I don't really know what to tell you :D)

so for ovok, 13000+0+deformity*255=22600 (where 22600 is the maximum height I want, corresponding to the 255 level of white in the highest point of the map) baseline is zero since the lowest point is exactly at the planet radius

If this is not correct, is there a way to calculate the correct number or is it just a matter of trial and error?

You're gonna need larger numbers for deformity. The larger the deformity, the larger the difference in the shape you'll see. Just use trial and error. type in numbers and hit rebuild over and over until you get something that looks good. There is a lot of trial and error in planet making to find what looks right. It's more of an art than science right now.

Also you're putting that in the wrong config. Don't put it in kopernicus config, you want it put it in the kittopia config inside SaveLoad folder

- - - Updated - - -

My picture is using a PQS mod like Tellion said, but as you've also found out using gradient heightmaps can also result in egg shaped planets. This is harder to get right though as the texture needs to be seamless or you get ugly borders where they meet.

Well, looking forward to giving this a shot, just hope my ram usage doesn't shoot up to much from 2.6gb after getting avp as well.

Edit: welp, gonna have to spend a week trying to get the dang thing working......

Edited by Itsdavyjones

I think i got it after making a new map and pasting it in there, my guess is that windows 8.1 prob messed with the settings for admin and so on .

I wanted to say that this mod made my interest in interstellar flights in ksp peak again so thank you Cap Robau =)

Thx

Ed

I mean, wth, could play fine . BUT after i quit and trying to play now it crash during loading again. I get a lot of data not found for all the planets, and i was playing 5 minutes ago. I guess a troll lives in my harddrive

That is very strange, working one minute and not working the next. Answer these questions:

1. Do you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of KSP installed?

2. Could you PM me a picture of your GameData folder. Maybe it's an incompatible mod.

That formula is fine for normal bodies, but an egg-shaped body is not exactly normal is it. Kittopia allows you to trial and error it quite easily through its in-game menu (ctrl+P I think).

CaptRobau, I can't start KSP anymore. I've pinpointed OPM as the problem. Mods are ok, stock files have been validated. I have plenty of RAM available. It just crashes.

Can I send you error logs over private messages?

Sure.

My picture is using a PQS mod like Tellion said, but as you've also found out using gradient heightmaps can also result in egg shaped planets. This is harder to get right though as the texture needs to be seamless or you get ugly borders where they meet.

Boris could you PM me the config file with that PQSmod? Height maps are possible, but ablate PQS seems to give better results. It looks good, but only need to make it work with ScaledSpace. I want to see if that's possible.

Well, looking forward to giving this a shot, just hope my ram usage doesn't shoot up to much from 2.6gb after getting avp as well.

The default textures will bump it up about 500 MBs, at least without AVP. There are lower res textures in the forum OP that you can use if it won't work otherwise. AVP also has lower res versions I believe.

my egg works fine, but it has an odd "hole" at the north pole going very deep (I suspect to sealevel, but I'm not sure)

do you know where the north pole is stored? I thought it was the first line(s) of pixels on the top of the image

---

anyway I decided to remake the map, obviously I put the egg in the wrong position, it should be with the "bottom" pointing to sarnus

---

btw, it works only if I edit the .cfg file directly.

I tried using a separate cfg with some module manager code, but didn't work for the height.

even if it works for the color map

Edited by Sigma88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.