[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Are you adding a triton analogue to neidon

I can already imagine it:

#1. The Atmosphere would be very thin just a small band of light on the horizon, And it's color would be a pale purple (Because Eve's atmosphere is composed mostly of nitrogen and so is triton's.)

#2. And maybe with astronomers visual pack installed you'd be enveloped on the surface by a white mist that slowly gets blown around the planet by light winds.

Please add this, I just love worlds like that :D

You can post it here if you want. All I care about is getting a look at that height map. Are there settings you changed? Never mind, just get me all relevant stuff.

this is the base I used, I just took an almost black sheet (RGB: 15,15,15) and added the white (255,255,255) spot with a round paintbrush with low hardness

then I subtracted the negative of your heightmap from my base in order to "carve" the craters

this is the result

and this is all you need to change Ovok to an Egg Shape (sadly I couldn't do it without overwriting the ovok file in the kittopia folder)

it also changes the rotation of ovok in order to make it tidallylocked (which seems reasonable to me since one side is much heavier)

If you don't like this feature you can just delete the cfg inside OvokFIX

I didn't try to land on it, but it's 3AM, it can wait untill tomorrow :D

Edited by Sigma88

I've managed to get your method working (great idea), but for some reason when I HyperEdit to a stable orbit, it immediately changes the orbit to a highly eccentric one (aka one that will make me collide with the surface). Does it work like that on your end?

Best planet pack I've used so far (I'm actually keeping it installed!). It all looks so nice.

Plans for an Iapetus styled moon at all?

Perhaps ;)

And thanks, I know we don't release our moons very quickly, but unlike other mods our moons are not 2 minute exports from space engine or rips off of other online forums.

I try to have a proper creative process from start to finish, beginning with a piece of concept art before carefully craft the terrain from scratch using photoshop, procedural terrain gen programs and other tools. I think the end result suits the KSP style a lot more than our competitors so in my eyes its worth investing the time and effort to do it right.

Perhaps ;)

And thanks, I know we don't release our moons very quickly, but unlike other mods our moons are not 2 minute exports from space engine or rips off of other online forums.

I try to have a proper creative process from start to finish, beginning with a piece of concept art before carefully craft the terrain from scratch using photoshop, procedural terrain gen programs and other tools. I think the end result suits the KSP style a lot more than our competitors so in my eyes its worth investing the time and effort to do it right.

Absolutely. Please keep taking your time and come up with original and creative ideas. I know I and many others here are glad for it. Too many people think exporting a spaceengine texture and calling it a day is proper planet creation. Quality over quantity always.

I've managed to get your method working (great idea), but for some reason when I HyperEdit to a stable orbit, it immediately changes the orbit to a highly eccentric one (aka one that will make me collide with the surface). Does it work like that on your end?

I didn't try it yet, I will have the time this evening so I can tell you.

Can you show a picture of the problem?

-edit-

I don't know if this is your problem but, since the moon has such a weid shape ksp calculates it like this:

link

The inner circle is the moon's radius (at sealevel), the egg is the surface and the outer circle is the lowest possible orbit.

If you are editing your craft at a lower altitude it could look like an eccentric orbit

But If you had already thought of that I'll need to enter ksp to check.

(I know planet making is supposed to be an art more of a science, but I'm not really good at art, I can do science tho :D)

Edited by Sigma88

I didn't try it yet, I will have the time this evening so I can tell you.

Can you show a picture of the problem?

-edit-

I don't know if this is your problem but, since the moon has such a weid shape ksp calculates it like this:

link

The inner circle is the moon's radius (at sealevel), the egg is the surface and the outer circle is the lowest possible orbit.

If you are editing your craft at a lower altitude it could look like an eccentric orbit

But If you had already thought of that I'll need to enter ksp to check.

(I know planet making is supposed to be an art more of a science, but I'm not really good at art, I can do science tho :D)

I haven't tried it either yet, but I feel like you probably hit the nail on the head here. It likely means Ovok will need a slightly larger SOI so that you can get into a stable orbit and still have wiggle room without smashing into the ground. Actually kind of cool if you think about it because it can act as another challenge of trying to get and intercept and land without crashing. Or I guess you could just come in on a heavy inclination.

I haven't tried it either yet, but I feel like you probably hit the nail on the head here. It likely means Ovok will need a slightly larger SOI so that you can get into a stable orbit and still have wiggle room without smashing into the ground. Actually kind of cool if you think about it because it can act as another challenge of trying to get and intercept and land without crashing. Or I guess you could just come in on a heavy inclination.

on a side note, you could hyperedit a rover on the surface and ride your way into orbit :D

I tried to get you pictures of what happened, but I couldn't recreate it. It's stable now. Very, very strange. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting with this even more, finetuning it and testing it to see if any bugs pop up. Thanks for all the effort.

I tried to get you pictures of what happened, but I couldn't recreate it. It's stable now. Very, very strange. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting with this even more, finetuning it and testing it to see if any bugs pop up. Thanks for all the effort.

Don't mention it :)

I have fun doing those things, I've also made an alternative color scheme for the gas giants and the kerbal version of the saturn's hexagon

Now I am thinking about creating some antennas for remote tech that can reach the planets, so you don't need to modify the existing one.

If you know where to find decent antenna models let me know :)

KSPRC Compatibility

Here's a config for the people asking for compatibility with KSPRC

Includes Tekto and Gas Giant cloud layers

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Important:

These configs will not work if:

• The EVE mod .dlls are out of date
  • The RSS .dll is out of date
  • The Texture Replacer mod is below version 2.2.5 (this breaks the OPM mod if its an old version)
  • Planetshine is out of date

KSPRC Compatibility

Here's a config for the people asking for compatibility with KSPRC

Includes Tekto and Gas Giant cloud layers

http://imgur.com/a/fJkf3

Important:

• The Texture Replacer mod is below version 2.2.5 (this breaks the OPM mod if its an old version)

Yay! KSPRC is by far the best compilation pack available for KSP, Proot is a master! I thank you so much for these configs!

KSPRC Compatibility

--- SNIP ---

Important:

Nice! I have a question, though: I don't use RSS, so I haven't been interested in KSPRC (although I think its gorgeus!). Will these config show clouds on Tekto in my computer?

Nice! I have a question, though: I don't use RSS, so I haven't been interested in KSPRC (although I think its gorgeus!). Will these config show clouds on Tekto in my computer?

RSS in the KSPRC mod is used to modify the atmosphere gradient in flight mode, and nothing else.

Technically the absolute essential mods that have to be up to date are EVE and Texture Replacer. I just wanted to be safe with my instructions.

So if your EVE mod and TR mod is up to date, it should run.

Edited by Eudae55

RSS in the KSPRC mod is used to modify the atmosphere gradient in flight mode, and nothing else.

Technically the absolute essential mods that have to be up to date are EVE and Texture Replacer. I just wanted to be safe with my instructions.

So if your EVE mod and TR mod is up to date, it should run.

EVE 7-2 or EVE Dev? They are not showing on Tekto for me for some reason (at least not at all from orbit like your image).

Edited by Ignath
misspelled Tekto

can someone suggest me which is the least RAM intensive cloud mod that goes well with OPM?

I'd like to try out one, but my laptop has some limitation (mainly the limitation is I don't want to install linux so I have to run ksp at 32bit which is frustrating)

EVE stand-alone is the least RAM intensive. But I'm not sure anyone's made a config for that yet...

yet :)

which is the second best? Is it much more RAM consuming? or is it worth a try?

-edit-

wait, on the forum it sais [0.24], does it even work in 0.90?

Edited by Sigma88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.