[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

I finally sent a manned mission to Tekto, but unfortunately I underestimated what it would take to reach orbit from Tekto, and my lander design just wasn't up to it.

ABvW7Pv.jpg

VW6Jdxa.jpg

jU1Tufo.jpg

The lander was partially based on the the Rangers from Interstellar. I'm really happy with the design, and I may work on developing it further.

I finally sent a manned mission to Tekto, but unfortunately I underestimated what it would take to reach orbit from Tekto, and my lander design just wasn't up to it.

I'm planning on performing a Tekto return mission in an SSTO and I know your struggle. Tektos atmosphere extendes so far up that your engines need to fire for ages... Still, I think I can get back to Kerbin using a slate gravity assist.

I will be making a video about it considering getting an SSTO that far is somewhat of an achievement :P

I'm working on some tutorials about the installation of different cloud-packs for Outer Planets Mod. At the moment there is only a pdf for download and I hope this doesn't violate any license (I'm new to this stuff) but if it does please tell me and I'll correct/remove it.

The tutorial for KSPRC is based on the instructions I found on the forum and I tested it but doesn't work correctly. I see all the clouds and auroras around the stock bodys but for the Outer Planets there is only a strange aurora on Sarnus. What am I doing wrong?

I'd like to add a tutorial for Better Atmospheres but I can't find a config in this thread. KGas, Inc posted one on page 76 but I can't download it.

These are my first tutorials and there is still much to learn for me so feedback is appreciated :)

Did it manually.

OPM devs, this post contains some data you might find interesting.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104160-Kron-series?p=1781127&viewfull=1#post1781127

Thanks

Yes, try using OpenGL. I wrote the configs for the OPM AVP files (and EoO) with tgyoo7 and I can't even run AVP without OpenGL :/

Edit: CaptRobau - did you want to add the Edge of Oblivion cloud file from my post on page 72 to the OP?

In the future I will/should

Hey folks,

I'll be streaming the Outer Planets Mod shortly on Twitch. stop on by if you want to chat:

http://www.twitch.tv/spaceman_spff/

Today I'll be sending a new vessel out to Sarnus. I'm also up for any challenges that are sent my way.

All the best

Cool as always. Hope you had fun.

I'm planning on performing a Tekto return mission in an SSTO and I know your struggle. Tektos atmosphere extendes so far up that your engines need to fire for ages... Still, I think I can get back to Kerbin using a slate gravity assist.

I will be making a video about it considering getting an SSTO that far is somewhat of an achievement :P

I'd see that video.

I'm working on some tutorials about the installation of different cloud-packs for Outer Planets Mod. At the moment there is only a pdf for download and I hope this doesn't violate any license (I'm new to this stuff) but if it does please tell me and I'll correct/remove it.

Most things are allowed by the mod's license, including this.

How high does Sarnus' atmosphere end? I'm running Deadly Re-Entry, and completely failed to check before I did my probe's transfer burn.

Roughly 303.9 km. Unlike Eve, data in the map view for Sarnus is identical to the actual experience. Check out my flagship mission at the banner link, there is actual flight data you'll find useful.

Hey, just to tell you guys, this works perfectly with Opengl so far! (Since I am on 32bit Windows and it's the only way I can run my expansion packs for OPM...)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Captain! Can you give me some tips on making ocean planets? I am days from the next update for K+ butthe only thing still not working is oceans. I have surface, atmosphere, seafloors but no oceans! My configs for the ocean planet are not different from you Teckto...

Not seeing anything out of the ordinary there either. I can recommend only two things at this point:

1. Redownload the mod and reinstall it, preferably get it from another source as you used before (so if you used KerbalStuff, use Curseforge and vice versa)

2. See how the mod works without any other mods installed. If it works then, then one of the mod in the list that you showed is incompatible

We didn't much interesting things (since ocean's a tricky to mod). We just used Laythe's ocean and used heightmapoffset to lower or raise the moon's terrain so that it would match the ocean.

Oh.... thank you Captain!!! So that's the trick... when I was testing my ocean planet *surprise* no oceans, only seabeds but I could still see some king of water if I clipped with the camera a bit... thank you! In a week or so I'll have it working...

Does anyone know what the planetary alignment (Relative to Kerbin) has to be for a Kerbin-Jool-Sarnus-Urlum-Neidon Voyager style flyby "string" trajectory?

Probably almost perfectly lined up, at least for Sarnus, Urlum, and Neidon.

I modified the OPM KSPRC (1.5.5) config from the OP to make it work with only OPM and EVE installed.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download here.

Installtion: Install OPM, EVE and extract the GameData folder to your KSP installation directory.

Note: The glow effects around the gasgiants are stored in a seperate file so they can be easily removed (stock bodys dont have glow). Also there are no auroras.

My goal was to use only textures provided by EVE to keep memoryload as low as possible. OpenGL barely broke the 2GB mark and even directX9 wouldn't crash (no ATM installed). Though dX9 used 3GB of RAM and for some reason screwed up clouds on Tekto (last picture).

Edit: Fixed clouds on Tekto.

Edited by Eleusis La Arwall
New DL link

Does anyone know what the planetary alignment (Relative to Kerbin) has to be for a Kerbin-Jool-Sarnus-Urlum-Neidon Voyager style flyby "string" trajectory?

It is impossible to tell without crunching numbers (just like what Voyager 2 was doing after scientists realized the alignments seemed to be acceptable). Each flyby changes the inclination so by the time you get far as Neidon, you might be going steep normal or antinormal. In experience, Jool will disrupt the orbit so badly you won't enter even Sarnus' SOI.

Unless you rely on lots of delta v to constantly do corrections, chances are basically zero you'll make a grand tour just by inertia. It was pure luck Voyager 2 had the opportunity to do what it did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.