GPU usage while on R&D screen

Villageidiot

I also see inordinate amounts of GPU overheat when viewing what should be basically a 2D background image - there's got to be something else going on behind the scene. But, since the time clock is stopped when viewing those screens, I don't sense any gameplay operations which should be ongoing during those scenes which need big GPU attention.

Maybe its a Unity engine issue - or KSP keeps all the other scenes active and live-rendering in the background.

I found the gui s to be a bit wierd with their lag, the lag is for all the space center guis (contracts, strategies, science, launch directly) but no lag for the vab or tracking station gui....

I suspect what happened is they did their own ui for the vab and tracking station, flight scene because they were still only making the core game. Then they bought one of those fancy asset store ui systems to make their ui easier.... I know they used an asset store ui thing for the rep bar at the very least, and indeed it did sound like some large, fancy thing.... I bet its the large fancy part that causes all the lag...

While I could be wrong about that, if I'm not, I'd suggest Squad start converting as much of their ui to the new unity 4.6 stock ui system for the laggy bits of ui....

edit: oh yes, it was WAYYYYYY worse when they first implemented career, its very much improved as it is....

It's because those GUIs are...just GUIs. They're drawn on top of the space center, they're not their own scenes. So your GPU has to render the whole space center scene plus the GUI on top.

Taken by speed.

This is also good for all the other SpaceCenter scenes like the Mission Control, Astronaut Complex, and Administration Facility scenes.

And here I was, thinking that unseen graphics would never get rendered in the first place ... I even have the distinct memory from years ago of reading that polygons behind other polygons do not get rendered ... ?

So maybe give the GUI a polygon as background - or let the camera point away from the planet while the GUI is opened?

And here I was, thinking that unseen graphics would never get rendered in the first place ... I even have the distinct memory from years ago of reading that polygons behind other polygons do not get rendered ... ?

So maybe give the GUI a polygon as background - or let the camera point away from the planet while the GUI is opened?

And it points right at the Mun, Minmus, or any other body visible from the KSC, still causing such rendering requirements. The only ideal choice would be to save that screen, and load the R&D screen separately, which would take time. Which is rather silly when it doesn't even add much more burden to the GPU to just add the GUI overlay. If your GPU is going to hyperventilate having to draw the R&D screen over everything else, it is time to upgrade or at least trim down your video settings.

There is bound to be more optimization of the game yet to come, so whatever burden is occurring now with your system is definitely going to be reduced. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Make sure your drivers are updated and keep your system well maintained and dust free, and you will be just fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.