[1.2.1] Spacetux - Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts, Rover Contracts, Grand Tours and Sprite Missions

linuxgurugamer

Hello, you have released a new version but I think you haven't seen this:

On 14/10/2015 17:31:08, jlcarneiro said:

[...]

I think I've found a glitch: the flags are showing completely blank!

I think the problem is in spacetux.cfg under ContractPacks/Spacetux/SharedAssets/Agencies/.

The path to the flags currently is spacetux/Agencies/, I've changed it to ContractPacks/Spacetux/SharedAssets/Agencies/ and it is working fine now...

Edited by jlcarneiro

• 4 weeks later...

The following is in regards to Unmanned Contracts, but it may be an issue present in other packs as well.

One thing I think should be reviewed for next release is the deadlines for some contracts, such as impactor probes to the outer planets. Take for example the FirstEelooImpact contract from Eeloo_unmanned.cfg, lines 134-268. I'd be hard pressed getting a probe to Eeloo in the 100 days the contract is up for offer plus the 100 days I have after accepting it before the deadline. Add Kerbal Construction Time, 64K and other mods I do/may use into the mix and I've got a real challenge on my hands!

I like the idea of deadlines as it motivates me to get the contract done rather than just sit in my log, but it has to be balanced to some extent. Sending a probe in advance and looking for the contract offering as it approaches the SOI of the body shouldn't be the only way to complete the contract.

Other than that minor grievance it's a great pack of contracts that I've enjoyed for several months across multiple installs. :)

3 hours ago, Gazpachian said:

The following is in regards to Unmanned Contracts, but it may be an issue present in other packs as well.

One thing I think should be reviewed for next release is the deadlines for some contracts, such as impactor probes to the outer planets. Take for example the FirstEelooImpact contract from Eeloo_unmanned.cfg, lines 134-268. I'd be hard pressed getting a probe to Eeloo in the 100 days the contract is up for offer plus the 100 days I have after accepting it before the deadline. Add Kerbal Construction Time, 64K and other mods I do/may use into the mix and I've got a real challenge on my hands!

I like the idea of deadlines as it motivates me to get the contract done rather than just sit in my log, but it has to be balanced to some extent. Sending a probe in advance and looking for the contract offering as it approaches the SOI of the body shouldn't be the only way to complete the contract.

Other than that minor grievance it's a great pack of contracts that I've enjoyed for several months across multiple installs. :)

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll take a look at it.

11 hours ago, Gazpachian said:

I just updated the mod, it now has reasonable deadlines.  I erred on the side of too long rather than too short.  I looked at a dV map, got all the transfer times, doubled them and added 100 or so.  

Let me know if this is good enough

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just updated the mod, it now has reasonable deadlines.  I erred on the side of too long rather than too short.  I looked at a dV map, got all the transfer times, doubled them and added 100 or so.  

Let me know if this is good enough

Im not using your pack at present, and I dont know how many folks this applies to, but there are very low delta v transfers available which use multiple planet flybys. They also take much longer (although they happen much more frequently than the normal transfers, depending on how little delta v you need it to use).

Whether that is a concern for your contracts though I cant say.

19 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

Im not using your pack at present, and I dont know how many folks this applies to, but there are very low delta v transfers available which use multiple planet flybys. They also take much longer (although they happen much more frequently than the normal transfers, depending on how little delta v you need it to use).

Whether that is a concern for your contracts though I cant say.

It's not.  This contract pack doesn't do multiple targets at this time.  I would need to learn or be told some of the multple transfer windows before I could even think of doing them

Thanks

No, I meant more about for your question on whether twice the transfer time for a direct hohmann would be sufficient for the contract. If users were relying on indirect transfers by using gravity assists, in order to open up their launch windows (a lot), they would likely have issues with meeting the contract time limits (acceptable launch windows go up, but so does the transfer time).

It was more about the reasonable deadlines thing rather than asking if you could add contracts to do that specifically.

18 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

No, I meant more about for your question on whether twice the transfer time for a direct hohmann would be sufficient for the contract. If users were relying on indirect transfers by using gravity assists, in order to open up their launch windows (a lot), they would likely have issues with meeting the contract time limits (acceptable launch windows go up, but so does the transfer time).

It was more about the reasonable deadlines thing rather than asking if you could add contracts to do that specifically.

Hmmm.  I'll have to think about this, I understand what you are saying now.

For now the fix provided is very sufficient, thank you! It seems you forgot to bump the version number in the .version file though, so AVC thinks there is an unapplied update available upstream. That's easy to patch for me or anyone else so I wouldn't worry about fixing it with all haste, but at least now it is documented! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is due to an issue in your pack, or in the configurator, but I've been having issues with contracts not completing even though I met the conditions.  Specifically, I was fulfilling the 'impact a probe on the Mun' contract and the altitude requirement was never triggered.  What log info if any, would you need to diagnose?

32 minutes ago, maculator said:

What's that benchmark-thing the scientist wants me to do while Im on a rover mission?

Are you running the latest rover mission release?

That "Benchmark" is a location name, you simply need to run all the science available on the rover

On 18/01/2016 at 4:46 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you running the latest rover mission release?

That "Benchmark" is a location name, you simply need to run all the science available on the rover

I have the "Benchmark" contract for my Minmus rover.  It expires in 49 days and I have other things to do so I was going to come back to it.

As I launch another unrelated rover, I get a message that I've failed the Benchmark contract and been penalised 90k funds.  Sorry, but I had to uninstall.

Sorry for the slow reply, I was doing the "other things" ie building a large ship in orbit.

Log here.  The nearest save I could find here.   You'll need KER, TAC LS and Scansat to load it I think.

The minmus rover was a re-purpose contract for an existing rover, and the mun contract was a fresh one requiring a new rover (although the "new" rover was already under construction via Kerbal Construction Time, it was an opportunity contract...)

Edited by Matt77

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.