What do you use RCS for?

jarmund

Which of the below do you use RCS for?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the below do you use RCS for?

While RCS isn't strictly required, it's of course convenient for various uses. Which uses do you use RCS for? Not just RCS fuel, but the system as a whole, including vernor engines and any mods that provide functions linked to the RCS.

EDIT:

Crap, missing option: Fine tuning orbits. Any others I missed?

Edited by jarmund

I don't use it at all. I'm too daft to remember to put thrusters on :)

For unexplained reasons, it actually took me quite a while to actually learn what RCS was for. "Huh, there's no difference with it enabled? Why use it?" (I of course didn't have any RCS thrusters on, or monoprop). This resulted in me managing to dock two vessels using main engine only. Never again.

I tend to put a small amount of RCS on every craft that might require docking/station keeping/precise manuever corrections. I also slap one or more of the O-10 monoprop engine/s on the craft, so that if the mission does not requiring docking, the RCS isn't all that useless (they are massless, have better thrust and Isp than RCS ports and are just generally nice).

I built a few escape pods consisting of a Mk1 capsule, docking port, parachute and a couple of O-10 engines or RCS thrusters. There's enough propellant in the capsule's own store to bring a single kerbal from the space station back to Kerbin for whatever reason.

RCS also comes in handy for making fine orbital adjustments- particularly for things like Kerbin-Minmus transfers, where a small velocity change makes a big difference.

Docking is obvious, rcs for rotating massive ships is less of an problem in later ksp versions with the large reaction wheels, mostly useful now if something is wrong like then my Jool base was off balance and had lost an LV-N then I took it from Pol to Bop.

I tend to use it for tiny correction burns like changing Pe from 150 to 20 km halfway to Duna, also found it very nice then combined with mechjeb landing autopilot to do pinpoint landings.

Mechjeb landing has an error of around 50 meters on Minmus, with rcs correction you can get this down to 5 meter, close enough to connect with an kas pipe without hitting the base.

Attitude control (except my big rockets usually have gimbaling rocket engines - there aren't many engine packs out there with outboard verniers!), and precision translation during rendezvous (including landing on small bodies). Deorbit usually requires a spacecraft's main rocket engines, but those are generally just big glorified RCS thrusters.

Yay for pressure-fed hypergolics!

Docking is obvious, rcs for rotating massive ships is less of an problem in later ksp versions with the large reaction wheels, mostly useful now if something is wrong like then my Jool base was off balance and had lost an LV-N then I took it from Pol to Bop.

I tend to use it for tiny correction burns like changing Pe from 150 to 20 km halfway to Duna, also found it very nice then combined with mechjeb landing autopilot to do pinpoint landings.

Mechjeb landing has an error of around 50 meters on Minmus, with rcs correction you can get this down to 5 meter, close enough to connect with an kas pipe without hitting the base.

I've built some miniscule stack probes out of an OKTO2, .625m RCS tank and 4 thrusters (plus batteries, comms, science, solar, etc). It's capable of landing on any of the low gravity bodies and work great for missions to Jool for those low gravity moons. For these probes, RCS is used for everything (except docking, these are disposable probes). Other craft use it primarily for docking, and large craft use it to assist with turning as well.

It's also useful for small moon exploration craft. I call them "puddlejumpers" in my save games, but they're simply a rover type assembly with small landing struts instead of wheels, and RCS thrusters to jump/hover across the surface of places like Minmus, Bop, Pol, and Gilly (although Gilly it's hardly needed, lol).

On the rare occasions that I bother with RCS, it's only used for final docking maneuvers and orbital insertion trimming. Most of the time I don't use it, because KSP is exceptionally forgiving in how it models rocket exhaust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.