[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

I have a funny litttle bug:

Mission: Extract ore from Sonnah and deliver it to Serran.

Aquire 400 units of fresh ore from Sonnah...

is there a way to detect which planet actually allows ore extraction? ;-)

that's fixed in the next update :wink: was something i overlooked previously, my bad!

Sorry if I'm being impatient, but do you have any estimate on when the update is coming?

And is it savegame compatible?

it's all good bro, I'm pretty impatient about getting the update out too! doing a lot of rework with textures and having difficulty with the .dds conversion distorting the textures (as you can see here). The dds conversion only actually saves about 70mb of RAM so I'm debating what to do...

gimme a couple days to finish up and it'll be good to go! (work is keeping me pretty busy atm)

that's fixed in the next update :wink: was something i overlooked previously, my bad!

no problem, I just thought I should mention it.

by the way, aptur is a PITA to fly to. ;-) (I love it). I hope I'll find a low delta-v trajectory to access that low hanging rock.

no problem, I just thought I should mention it.

by the way, aptur is a PITA to fly to. ;-) (I love it). I hope I'll find a low delta-v trajectory to access that low hanging rock.

haha well i didn't want it to be easy :wink:

if you burn from kerbin when aptur is at it's peri/apo thn it takes a lot less detlta-v. Usually i get there for about 750-800m/s

Ash, if you want me to poke around with any of the new textures just let me know.

Thanks dude, managed to solve it last night thanks to Sigma88! turns out it was a case of tunnel vision where i overlooked an extremely obvious solution.

There is a bug that as soon as I touch the atmosphere of any of the new planets that I "overheat". any way to fix this?

Hmmm thats a little weird, does it happen at all planets? does it make you explode? what speed are you going when you hit the atmospheres?

There is a bug that as soon as I touch the atmosphere of any of the new planets that I "overheat". any way to fix this?

"Any" or specifically Sonnah? The Sonnah one is a known issue - and it's also blowing up things trying to aerocapture at Jool, and therefore not really KillAshley's fault and probably beyond his ability to fix. Short version is gas giants suck you into a very high entry speed, and the density curve in the upper atmo is too steep so its like hitting a wall of heat.

I had no problem diving into Serran's atmosphere and had a probe do multiple passes for aerobraking without so much as a high temperature warning. I'm planning to do a little bit of delta-v mapping in the near future, so I'll take the chance to see if I get any issues around other planets :)

I'm planning to do a little bit of delta-v mapping in the near future, so I'll take the chance to see if I get any issues around other planets :)

just let me know if you find any problems, I haven't actually had time to play the game so have only been able to test when I make changes. The more bugs people report the faster I can fix them :wink:

Heating is proportional to v^3.

Entry at 10km/sec is much, much, much deadlier than Munar reentry on Kerbin (3km/sec).

Just for the interested, there's the reason why hitting Sonnah (and Jool, as in the thread that's from) is lethal :) Gas giant atmo studies are basically a dead science... and I can't say I'm not concerned about how this might affect the return trips to Kerbin in NH :S

*edit* Not sure if it's possible to affect the atmo pressure curves with Kopernicus, but if so, then there's an option to play with very, very low densities in the top band. Not sure if you'd be able to get an aerocapture out of it though, or whether it would be just a degree of braking assistance. If the curves are untouchable, then atmo height is another option. Stretching it to 1000-2000km might help.

Edited by eddiew

Well actually the curves are made and put into the mod by me. It's fairly simple as I made a calculator to automatically create the curves based on the stock curves which is used by a few people. The main problem I have is that the radical change to atmospheres in KSP1.0 means that gas giants are crazy to enter. I for one like the challenge, however I can see how it puts people off....

The thing is: should I overwrite stock curves just to allow for easy gameplay? The curves for my 3 giants match Jool to within 0.000001% so I'd have to change Jool too if I changed my own just for consistency. You can understand my hesitation at doing this, as I like the stock game, that's why I left all stock planets alone instead of replacing them which was one of my original plans for New Horizons.

So we have to back to the question: should I overwrite stock curves just to allow for easy gameplay? I personally say no, however seeing how insistant people are about the topic of being able to enter gas giants at 10+km/s then I can always make a optional patch to thin the atmospheres out a little, but it won't be the default for the pack. :wink:

Edited by KillAshley

Hmm that's a little odd, do you have any other mods installed? And what's it heating up to...like what's the temperature reading of the affected parts(you can make the readout appear on the right-click menu by enabling it on the alt+f12 menu)

Quite a few mods I am not familiar with, fixing _PRATTERER_'s link in case anybody else might recognize something.

Wxu52Vb.png

There are some known heating bugs in 1.0.4 but it is strange it is only for the New Horizons bodies, have you tried deleting Kopernicus/New Horizons and trying a fresh copy of the mod?

Edited by Tynrael

OK, so it turns out that my testing game wasn't actually running on 1.0.4 as i though, and somehow was running with the old 1.0.2....Just sorted it out and tested it and yes, you are all right. Atmospheres appear to be bugged somehow. I understand now where you are all coming from, this shouldn't be happening and I'll make sure it's fixed ASAP. I was so confused as to why people had been talking about the entry heat so much, and as of right now, i cant even drop vertically into an atmosphere from a stand-still with hyper edit, i just insta-explode as soon as i touch the border. I'll get this sorted soon as possible for you all, just remember that the current version was actually made for ksp 1.0.2 and seems to be bugged in 1.0.4 for some reason.

Sorry everyone!

Edited by KillAshley

So we have to back to the question: should I overwrite stock curves just to allow for easy gameplay? I personally say no, however seeing how insistant people are about the topic of being able to enter gas giants at 10+km/s then I can always make a optional patch to thin the atmospheres out a little, but it won't be the default for the pack. :wink:

I would certainly be inclined to give Sonnah a top atmo band in which one can aerobrake when returning interplanetary... Kerbin/Serran will not always be in good places. While the layout of NH is really interesting, it makes for a lot of unknowns re the required delta-v to go anywhere/come home. Knowing that you can, worst case, capture and stabilize around the parent body and send a refuelling mission to meet the ship would be a nice-to-have from a play perspective, and would make it less intimidating to plan return trips.

IMHO :)

I would certainly be inclined to give Sonnah a top atmo band in which one can aerobrake when returning interplanetary... Kerbin/Serran will not always be in good places. While the layout of NH is really interesting, it makes for a lot of unknowns re the required delta-v to go anywhere/come home. Knowing that you can, worst case, capture and stabilize around the parent body and send a refuelling mission to meet the ship would be a nice-to-have from a play perspective, and would make it less intimidating to plan return trips.

IMHO :)

Yes the safe return was a good headache gone in alternis back in the day.

but still have been enjoying the hell out of New Horizons and cant wait for the new release. :D

The atmospheres are pretty strange in 1.0.4, it seems squad has ramped up the heat factor a lot. I'm still balancing the atmospheres properly but as of right now I have managed to aerobrake at 8.5km/s properly at Sonnah and the other gas giants...protection is still required though as things heat up really fast, I had to go engine first to survive. I'll keep t tweaking it...there goes my plans to release the update today :(

8.5km/s with a heat shield sounds reasonable - although I guess Sonnah might decide to make it a lot more by the time you get to it. Still, sounds pretty viable, especially since you said you'd looked at lowering Sonnah's gravity. The most likely requirement for an aerobrake+capture is going to be early on, coming back from Laythe, Eve/Gilly, and wherever the heck Duna is now. Beyond that, I suspect most NH players will be running Near Future or similar, so eventually science will give them the ability to do the long hauls without aerobraking :)

Separate lander-orbiters are really quite desirable though, so that you don't have to carry two heatshields to the ground. Probably a space for Infernal Robotics too, since it raises the possibility of laterally mounted engines that could move out beyond the heatshield for use, and then be retracted for braking...

(And of course, players can always hack the save file and turn down heating if it's being a mare. Stock's heat model is designed for a stock solar system. If NH fares better down at 50% heating, then that's fine - as long as the insta-explosions are gone :) )