Just found some awesome way to land on low-g worlds with KAS

cicatrix

I'm feeling dumb right now because I have no idea WHY didn't I think of that earlier. It's fairly obvious, after all. I've been using KAS for months and 'invented' this simple solution only just now.

Here, just fire these hooks at touch down, no matter how unstable your station is now it's safe and secure:

aHLw9Rw.png

I'm feeling dumb right now because I have no idea WHY didn't I think of that earlier. It's fairly obvious, after all. I've been using KAS for months and 'invented' this simple solution only just now.

Here, just fire these hooks at touch down, no matter how unstable your station is now it's safe and secure:

http://i.imgur.com/aHLw9Rw.png

Wow...that is TRULY creative! As a fellow KAS user...I commend you for that idea! Have some rep!

Brilliant, the good old shark fisherman's solution. However, accidentally retracting the cables might crush your lander. Would it be possible to grapple onto the underside of, say, one of the arches in the R&D Facility?

An excellent idea. I used to do the same thing with my old Munar Kethane refineries, but they were never intended to take off again. Just don't retract the cables by accident! Or at least quicksave before you do! :D

An excellent idea. I used to do the same thing with my old Munar Kethane refineries, but they were never intended to take off again. Just don't retract the cables by accident! Or at least quicksave before you do! :D

Actually that was the first thing I tried :D Still on the launch pad though. Just to see what happens. The Kerbal way! Since I didn't have an action button for retracting all of them at once, I did it one by one. I managed to blow the thing up finally, but only when the fourth one started retracting the cable.

Anchors tear off at some point.

I should play with KAS, looks like a really sweet mod. Cranes would be uber useful for base construction. Do a lot of you use KAS? I am thinking when 1.0 is out I will start my new save with it. Fuel pipes should be put in stock!

I should play with KAS, looks like a really sweet mod. Cranes would be uber useful for base construction. Do a lot of you use KAS? I am thinking when 1.0 is out I will start my new save with it. Fuel pipes should be put in stock!

KAS is awesome, I strongly recommend it, and almost always have it installed. It, or similar functionality, should really be stock (especially as glitchiness is better addressed from Squad's side of the fence than ours, I've heard that the modding API is..limited).

How do you "fire" the cables?

If you have the claw-part (I forget the name; shown in the OP screenshot) attached, "eject" should cause it to shoot out and grab the nearest thing in front of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.