Backseat Moderators Anonymous

Starwhip

Scratch that last. We know who you are. :P (Not really)

Are you guilty of backseat moderating? Symptoms include:

• Use of the "Report Post" button
  • Enforcement of forum rules
  • Requesting users to change things in their posts
  • Not being a real Moderator
  • And many more!

I have been known to do a little from time to time. But not too often

Remember, kids: Everything in moderation!

*badum-tisssss*

Don't shoot! It wasn't that bad!

for me, I usually give the OP a heads up before reporting the OP to the mods regarding a misplaced thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I've done some backseat moderation too :( I need help guys.

Hey, given that you ARE a mod, doesn't that technically give you an excuse to do your job?

Scratch that last. We know who you are. :P (Not really)

Are you guilty of backseat moderating? Symptoms include:

• Use of the "Report Post" button

Isn't that, like, the exact opposite of backseat moderation?

Hi my name is Red and I'm a backseat moderator. I have been clean since January 9, 2015.

You're doing it for free as well then.

We all do it for free, moderator is not a paid position, it's a volunteer one. (Except for KasperVld, but he does a lot of other stuff, too.)

Well i have an infraction for it.

thanks RIC

I believe mentioning your infraction falls under rule 3.4, "Open discussion of staff decisions". I know that you are not supposed to discuss infractions and warnings because I have received a warning for posting a thread contesting an infraction I received. Oh drat, now I've gone and done it too.

(I was being ironic, be gentle mods)

I never did backseat moderation.

No report at all(*), nothing.

Now, I frontseat moderate since february 11th.

yes, I remember the date of my addition to the moderation team.(the cool thing is that I can use wolfram to know how much time I'm being a mod.(one month and 28 days so far(yes, I like to put several parenthesis in other parenthesis in the same sentence.(I don't think it's grammatically correct but I do it anyway)))).

(*)well, apart one to request a close of one of my thread

Look at these fancy guys, remembering when they became a real moderator. I haven't the foggiest smidgen of a clue what day it was when I got a PM asking me if I'd be alright being a moderator. I said yes, and about five minutes later I discovered some new forum functions to play with. About fifteen minutes after that I got my proper intro. But what date it was? Who knows. Long ago, in the mists of time.

But anyone who's been around long enough to know me before I was a moderator knows full well I walked the line of backseat moderation many a time before that.

I only reported once to remove a wildly off-topic post on a forum game. Actually it wasn't REALLY off-topic, it was just kinda weird and potentially offensive and I have no idea how that would work under the games context an- (stops rambling)

And another to get rid of another off-topic thread in the wrong forum (but it was removed before I hit "submit" :o )

Oh, and another time to get mods to close a thread that had been requested to be clos- oh gawd I need help

In my defense, I *was* a moderator on another forum once.. (not that I was awfully good at it)

Edited by Norpo

Let's see, I've:

• Reported Posts.
  • I've requested users to change things in their threads.
  • I've received an infraction for backseat moderation. (Later got reversed.)
  • I often tell people their threads are in the wrong forum.

I'd say I'm guilty.

I've almost never have used the report button, but I've mentioned edgy threads to the mods a couple times.

My most rule-breaking era was right when I joined and had no idea how online forums even worked, since this was the first one I ever have been devoted to. I think a few of my threads were locked and others simply not taken too well. I've even gotten two rule infringements over the years, and trust me getting a letter from the mods is worse than failing a semester final. :(

Two infractions on this forum for me so far.

:blush:

Also, keeping with the title of the thread, I have never backseat moderated.

7 warnings and 7 infractions for me. my first was, incidentally, a warning for Backseat moderation. me saying "inb4 lock" was mis-interpreted as backseat moderation.

I do backseat moderation from time to time... Sometimes I feel the need to let the real moderators know when something's up that I see.

EDIT: I've received one infraction and one warning... Felt super guilty both times.

Edited by Maximus97

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.