[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I've not been using scatterer for a long time, so I cant really answer that. Also, yes. This is different than moire patterns, those happened to me when I was running with opengl or directX11.

Will try to upload a video now. Give me 10'

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here it is.

Never seen this before so I actually have no idea, will look into it when I can.

This is the same issue I reported. Thanks for making a video Dante80 and thanks for all the hard work blackrack!

If you need any information let me know. I never used the 0.151 version but I'll download it now and see if there issue is present there too.

Edit: Tried v0.151 there is still flickering but it is slightly different. If only occurs at certain camera angles and it flickers in checkered patterns. There's a lot different between the two so I'm not sure if it's the same issue or something else. I tired openGL mode and the issue is gone. Maybe something to do with directx 12 and windows 10?

Edited by mreadshaw

Aww, that is great news! Regarding multiple planets: Could two instances of Scatterer be active at the same time? Stock does not really offer that many possibilities for this apart from maybe Jool, but it would still be possible to make some great looking things together with Kopernicus.

This will be possible, though I won't enable it by default for Jool but it will be possible to enable it by making your own config or for mods.

This will be possible, though I won't enable it by default for Jool but it will be possible to enable it by making your own config or for mods.

Thats a good idea for those that don't quite have the cpu and gpu under the hood to handle it. But I would suggest maybe a readme with some info on how to enable multiple planets at once. Maybe.... "Maybe" limit the number of people asking "why doesn't mine do that" when the screen shots start posting.

So, a quick status update:

I've been really busy IRL lately but I finally had some time for the mod. I fixed the black sky bug (made worse on planets other than kerbin for some reason) and multiplanet support seems to be going well. There will be a short 1-2s "loading" time (similar to the one when you switch fullscreen mode) when approaching a planet but it's not too bad, there will be however a memory spike of about 250-300mb which may just crash your game unexpectedly, that same memory will be freed when you get far away from the planet and the atmosphere unloads. Mapview will only show effects on whichever planet is currently active to avoid memory problems.

I'm working on making the celestial objects and the stars actually scatter through the atmosphere instead of just being displayed "behind" it, this shouldn't make much of a difference for most of the planets but looking at Jool from Laythe should become completely spectacular, we'll see how it goes.

I'm also working on making the atmosphere height adjustable directly ingame, and on eliminating the artifacts/problems that appear when it's set to too high.

Overall it's going good but slow because of real-life.

A lot of good news!!

Take the time you need.

I've not been using scatterer for a long time, so I cant really answer that. Also, yes. This is different than moire patterns, those happened to me when I was running with opengl or directX11.

Will try to upload a video now. Give me 10'

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here it is.

That's the same effect I was seeing earlier! I wish I knew the cause :P

That's the same effect I was seeing earlier! I wish I knew the cause :P

It is quite annoying, hopefully it's an easy fix. In the meantime I've sort of cheated it away by messing with the nodes (?) so that at 70000m the post-processing alpha is at 0 so that it isn't noticeable in orbit. Then I've added the astronomer's atmospheric scattering layer for eve in so that you still get a nice orbital and map view. It works pretty well visually but it has required using the x64 hack so not the best (if you just used the scattering layer without clouds you'd be fine, but who wants no clouds).

Ahhh, the proverbial 'good landing'!

Reminds me of my first big mission to Jool and using Laythe for aero braking. I botched it badly and even though I wasn't yet using Deadly Reentry my ship broke apart from stress. Barely got the crew into their escape vehicle so they could make a safe landing on one of Laythe's islands.

Spent 3 real life days devising a ship that could land, rescue the crew then take off and reach orbit. Eleven parachutes to land an ungainly tail lander with 6 solid boosters.

Good times...

Ahhh, the proverbial 'good landing'!

Reminds me of my first big mission to Jool and using Laythe for aero braking. I botched it badly and even though I wasn't yet using Deadly Reentry my ship broke apart from stress. Barely got the crew into their escape vehicle so they could make a safe landing on one of Laythe's islands.

Spent 3 real life days devising a ship that could land, rescue the crew then take off and reach orbit. Eleven parachutes to land an ungainly tail lander with 6 solid boosters.

Good times...

You without DRE??? That's shocking!

Btw, every landing you can walk away, it's a succesful landing in KSP. Thanks Blackrack to share those beautiful images.

This is a great day because I just fixed the "lines in the sky" bug for OpenGL permanently (forceOff aniso or not), also OpenGL performance may just have improved a bit. Now just a few more OpenGL bugs to fix and we're good to go.

Looking at the game running at half the memory usage with no pesky lines and anisotropic filtering working I almost can't believe it, and what's more, I just read that SQUAD is teasing full 64bit support for the next version.

Seems like this is indeed a good time to fire up the hype train.

Oh... my... kod.... <3

Ship it. Ship it now. XD jk

All it needs is your fancy waves! xD

Don't worry, let me polish off this one first and you'll get them waves ;)

Edited by blackrack

This is a great day because I just fixed the "lines in the sky" bug for OpenGL permanently (forceOff aniso or not), also OpenGL performance may just have improved a bit. Now just a few more OpenGL bugs to fix and we're good to go.

Looking at the game running at half the memory usage with no pesky lines and anisotropic filtering working I almost can't believe it, and what's more, I just read that SQUAD is teasing full 64bit support for the next version.

Fantastic! Thanks so much for all your hard work blackrack; this is easily one of my top must-have mods!

Don't worry, let me polish off this one first and you'll get them waves ;)

Hooray! :D

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to blackrack again." < This is an outrage :D

Woohoo! Laythe! That's gonna be awesome when i go back to Stock-scaled KSP. Can't wait to see Duna and Eve get the treatment. And I guess Jool too.

But, eh, what about a RSS config. Does such a thing exist and is available for use? RSS with stock graphics looks kinda dumb.

PingoPete is experimenting with it for the dev RVE, as I understand it.

Woohoo! Laythe! That's gonna be awesome when i go back to Stock-scaled KSP. Can't wait to see Duna and Eve get the treatment. And I guess Jool too.

But, eh, what about a RSS config. Does such a thing exist and is available for use? RSS with stock graphics looks kinda dumb.

to see Scatterer work in RSS enviroment you need to let Blackrack to fix opengl bugs, then let him remove Kerbin name from his code & pray gamescene load to work, but my 1 cent bet it will have same bugs like Eve have & that is something what is not easy to fix :) First step to see RSS in full glory is need EVE to be fix then Scatterer to be prepare for RSS needs soo all need to be patience :)

PingoPete is experimenting with it for the dev RVE, as I understand it.

yes Pete he was test or try to use Scatterer in his test but he was seen / undestend he need to set on hold that project :)

ok i've read around and i'm having a bit of trouble.

i have lines in my sky :( i know i have to turn off the filtering thingy but i don't see a "button" or where i can find my "drivers" on a linux 64 build...

i think this is more towards tech rather than mod based but if you guys could help that would be great :D

ok i've read around and i'm having a bit of trouble.

i have lines in my sky :( i know i have to turn off the filtering thingy but i don't see a "button" or where i can find my "drivers" on a linux 64 build...

i think this is more towards tech rather than mod based but if you guys could help that would be great :D

The "button" is in the UI. The UI can be toggled with Alt F-11 or Alt F-10

And the "drivers" are the setting for your graphics. Are you using onboard graphics, or a video card? Nvidia, AMD, Intel?

The "button" is in the UI. The UI can be toggled with Alt F-11 or Alt F-10

And the "drivers" are the setting for your graphics. Are you using onboard graphics, or a video card? Nvidia, AMD, Intel?

i'm running ubuntu and running the game on steam. alt F-11 does nothing and alt F-10 just brings up my steam list of recently played steam games...

Nvidia.

i'm running ubuntu and running the game on steam. alt F-11 does nothing and alt F-10 just brings up my steam list of recently played steam games...

Nvidia.

Nvidia X server settings is probably what you want then. You will have to add an application specific override where you add an entry for anisotropic filtering, turning it off. It is not exactly intuitive to use but it should be doable with a little googling. Or you just wait for the next version in which that issue is fixed.

On a less cumbersome note, have you tried shift (left or right, I don't remember) + F11 for opening the ingame gui?

Edit: aand too slow ._.