Aero Idea

#LolAero or #NolAero?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. #LolAero or #NolAero?

• Heck yeah! I want to #Lolaero!
    • I'd like it, but it wouldn't break my heart & soul if it doesnt get put in
    • Meh! don't care!
    • I'd rather not have this.

What if.... instead of having to use an entirely different and old version of KSP (when 1.0 comes out ofc) we had an option to switch between aero systems! so whenever the #lolaero mood hits us we can hit a button and be all happy and lolaero like and stuff...

Basically here's my point dumbed down even more:

Put a button in the settings to change the aero system so we can #lolaero whenever.

What do ya'll think? I'll put in a poll here in a sec to see what ya'll think.

What is #lolaero?

The old aero system allowed you to do INSANE things that would not be possible in the new aero, creating krakeny things that still fly, literal hammers that fly, that kind of thing, thus #lolaero

The old aero system allowed you to do INSANE things that would not be possible in the new aero, creating krakeny things that still fly, literal hammers that fly, that kind of thing, thus #lolaero

In that case I say no. The current model has no basis in reality. I see no reason to keep around something that was just a place holder put into an early version of the game.

In that case I say no. The current model has no basis in reality. I see no reason to keep around something that was just a place holder put into an early version of the game.

Then why are there legacy packs for old parts?

I wouldn't be surprised if a legacy pack for old aero came around, too.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a terrible idea. Why would you retain old, outdated code?

Tell that to NASA...

They still use FORTRAN. FORTRAN. Code that was written in the 80s or even earlier (like OTIS). It's just great at what it does, and it's not cost effective to switch over to other languages and make new code.

Plus, the aerodynamics can be improved and still be the "old" aero.

And to answer your question: As a memory, or a plethora of other things. Things such as taking advantage of it to see things. Document the history of KSP, so newbies can experience what older KSP was like.

Tell that to NASA...

They still use FORTRAN. FORTRAN. Code that was written in the 80s or even earlier (like OTIS). It's just great at what it does, and it's not cost effective to switch over to other languages and make new code.

Plus, the aerodynamics can be improved and still be the "old" aero.

And to answer your question: As a memory, or a plethora of other things. Things such as taking advantage of it to see things. Document the history of KSP, so newbies can experience what older KSP was like.

Why not make old versions available? Or have an official mod that brings back the old aero? It would be to much trouble to have both IMO.

Tell that to NASA...

A government agency supporting outdated but functional computer systems that are cheaper to support than replace is vastly different than a game company supporting a broken aerodynamics model that has already been replaced in their working code.

If someone who is capable wants to mod it in, then go for it.

I for one don't want Squad wasting any time on the old aero system.

Agreed.

I'm more on the indifferent side, but both have advantages and disadvantages. One is funny and very inaccurate, while the other is more intuitive (to a degree) and is pretty accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

A government agency supporting outdated but functional computer systems that are cheaper to support than replace is vastly different than a game company supporting a broken aerodynamics model that has already been replaced in their working code.

Just an example. A statement of the fact that old code is ok, it's the actual MODEL of the aerodynamics that's the problem, not the age of the code.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not make old versions available? Or have an official mod that brings back the old aero? It would be to much trouble to have both IMO.

Because that's essentially the same thing as making it an option in-game...

Tell that to NASA...
NASA as an organization needs to maintain communications with systems that are often old enough to warrant that, there is no valid or direct comparison to a modern game development company there.

E: and while old code may work perfectly fine, this is not a case of old code that works perfectly fine, it is a case of now useless placeholder code.

Those are all very poor justifications for bloating a codebase with what is essentially a useless placeholder (even HarvesteR has admitted that the only thing the old aero model was good at was existing). If you must give in to nostalgia, it is far better to let users have a copy of 0.90 along with their full copy than keep that placeholder code going forward.

E: To address the ninja'ing, no, it is not the same as making it an option in-game. The code is deprecated and bringing it to a new version implies support for it, which means making new systems work with it, which means time wasted on old placeholder code. Leave it in the past where is belongs.

Edited by regex

Then why are there legacy packs for old parts?

I don't know anything about that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a legacy pack for old aero came around, too.

If somebody wants to write an old aero mod, then go for it. However, I think retaining an old aero option in v1.0 is a really bad idea.

The code is deprecated and bringing it to a new version implies support for it, which means making new systems work with it, which means time wasted on old placeholder code.

Very much this. Anything that gets added in the future would need to be tested with both aero systems, balanced against both of them, etc. That includes all the rebalancing of all the parts that they're doing in 1.0 Keeping both Aero systems would mean having to balance them all twice.

I voted to have the choice. Choice is good. I won't cry however if they don't have an option since all you have to do (what I have already done) is copy the KSP folder to somewhere safe so you always have a '#lolaero' model. I done it especially so I can make flying boxes and what not.

I'm sure at some point I will want to launch that pancake or great big fat onion into space for fun. I just won't be using it that often.

Tweety

I honestly thought people would want this more.....

While the old aero wasnt great, you don't have to go bashing it on the forums for how "horrible" it was, i mean come on!

You still bought the game! even though the aero system wasn't amazing you still bought it, still had fun, and still built amazing things!

If you don't want the old aero option, ok, but please, don't try and convince others that it shouldn't be here at all.

While the old aero wasnt great, you don't have to go bashing it on the forums for how "horrible" it was, i mean come on!
I most certainly can and will. When the developer of the game says it was really only good at existing I can feel comfortable saying exactly what I feel about it, especially now that Squad are adding a new system. Not like I didn't make fun of it before...
If you don't want the old aero option, ok, but please, don't try and convince others that it shouldn't be here at all.
Sorry, what? The old aerodynamic system was terrible, it shouldn't take convincing anyone around here of that. Quite frankly I'm baffled that people want it kept in the game at all. Squad have put in the time to make a much better simulation in lieu of what is, at best, a placeholder; we should be thankful for that.

Nope. Option makes the old model an official system which needs official support, so now you're running two different aero models in parallel. That's just nonsense.

That's what i thought. If demanded so much, the could release the source or at least the specification so others could re-implement it as a mod.

hold on, by making this thread aren't you just trying to convince people that it should be left in..?

seems only fair that some one else can try and convince people otherwise.

I guess regex could create another thread to convince people the old aero should be destroyed and forgotten, but the mods would probably merge it with this thread...

I guess regex could create another thread to convince people the old aero should be destroyed and forgotten
Eh, why? I shouldn't need to convince the denizens of a forum that prides itself on the general intelligence and scientific knowledge of its denizens that an unrealistic placeholder system should be retained.

hold on, by making this thread aren't you just trying to convince people that it should be left in..?

seems only fair that some one else can try and convince people otherwise.

I guess regex could create another thread to convince people the old aero should be destroyed and forgotten, but the mods would probably merge it with this thread...

While yes I would love the old aero system to stay, I'm not trying to make others want it to stay, It could be taken that i am based on what i've posted, but honestly, I just want it so I can "#lolaero" when the mood hits and not have to reload an old version of the game

- - - Updated - - -

And i want the new parts :P

Having the old aero option is as inane as having an option to start the game without maneuver nodes or patched conics.

Oh wait... ;)

But seriously, aerodynamics is one of the oldest placeholder systems in the game. It did it's job perfectly in that it was just good enough to allow them to ignore it until the rest of the game was done.

It's like a crappy $1000 car. Sure it gets 15 miles to the gallon and won't start unless it's rolling down a hill, but for the most part it got you to work and back for those 3 years when you were really poor. But now you're not poor, and you can actually buy a car that doesn't kick a cloud of smoke out its rear end every time you accelerate, and it's time to let that old piece of garbage go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.