1.0 Creative Part Usage

asialsky

With the release of 1.0 rumoured to only be a few days away, it begs the question of how we'll USE the new parts in a more kerbal manner.

In example: the new radial orange chutes will be nice for landing large aircraft, and the utility bays seem kerbal storage-friendly enough.

I believe Maxmaps mentioned Xenon getting a buff in the screenshot Squadcast, so perhaps sail boats and solar gliders can become easier?

Ideas?

those fairings - especially with the way we'll be able to 'build' the shape through anchors - it should be possible to do all kind of things with them.

custom diameter boosters - possible :P stack a few SRB's inside, adjust their thrust, and you'll get a custom SRB's tailored for your needs :P (you could even give those SRB's various thrusts, so you'll have a modular thrust curve)

custom nozzles - should also be possible :) (both for SRB's and for upper stages)

depending on the range of possibilities of the fairings, spherical tanks might be a possibility too :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Actually, we (as in us forumers) don't know what the new parachutes are like yet, but it looks like they reused the orange radial model.

Knowing Squad, it seems like a safe bet that the orange radials behave the same as the orange nose chutes.

If you mean 1.0 aerodynamics-wise, it should still be less stressful than blue radial parachutes in the souposphere.

Well the 1st thing when i though procedural fairings was instant customizeable hull shape for capital ships and sci-fi craft. Still wish we got procedural wings, as that would be nice to have around.

Then when i saw the kerbal-wheels, the 1st thing im doing is spawning nothing but a wheel, kerbal beside it, putting kerbal inside said wheel, close ddors, and see if i can walk around in a hampster wheel styled vehicle. As for serious uses for these hampster wheels is most likely going to be bomb/missile storage, lets me use them as a sleek inline internal weapons bay on circular hull craft (cargo bays work nice, but they dont quite look right on 1.25m or 2.5m hulls.

So, everyone has pretty sane ideas about part usage (excluding the fingernails.) Anyone going to use the fuel cells for anything?

To generate power :)

Now wings, fairings and even the cargo hulls will be useful as heat shields.

We tend to have plenty of radially mounted stuff on our ships. Landing legs, radially mounted LV-N, the new drills, this might be protected with an skirt make of an fairing.

Another option for landing legs might be the small control surfaces.

More if you want an tanker going the Minmus - LKO route it will be smart to make it from Mk4 parts as they will be able to handle the aerobraking into LKO, If you make your tanker like an space shuttle you can even use the wings to adjust trajectory in atmosphere during aerobrake.

mmh :) if the fairings are solid enough, i guess they'll be able to be used as stock bearings for reaction wheels based engines :) (especially with the new aero)

those engines lost a bit of their power when the current control surfaces were released - but the new aero might give that power back :)

I'm also excited to try out the new fairings - to make custom cockpits for SSTOs, which was clumsy at best with the 0.90 parts.

The new intakes look also gorgeous, I just hope there are some new bigger jet engines to power the heavier planes.

I was considering the possibility of using the fairings to make replica craft. The saucer of the Enterprise, for example, could be done with a single fairing rather than a mess of wings and structural panels.

Funnily enough that was one of my first thoughts for the fairings too... Enterprise saucer section.

Great minds think alike!

With a bit of tweaking I built a true scale Enterprise saucer from Procedural Fairings. Just don't except a collider mesh on concave parts.

I really hope the behaviour of PF has been duplicated, right now you can fix the shape of a fairing piece and install it somewhere else.

What I would do with it? If they have proper collider meshes on the straight parts, use fairings to build cylinders and pistons, and upgrade/rebuild my turboshaft en turboprop engines, helicopters and airplanes.

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.