Harv's 'Long Overdue' Feature?

Akinesis

It could also be thumbnails for craft. This would certainly fit with the "imagine you're a new player." It's alot easier to understand what a craft is when you can see a thumbnail of it.

Thumbnails were shown before Harv mentioned the new feature. It's not that.

Wonder how hard the reviewers will knock KSP for how bland it looks. I'm sure Squad must be ready for the mass influx of "where are the clouds?!" Threads.

And the stock skybox is complete crap as well.

Well KSP is still really fun game/great to teach astronomy/physics and stuff and at least I am not going to review it badly for missing lots of stuff, but still makes me angry what it's missing just seeing that Space Engine for instance only uses around 1 GB RAM on my machine. :/

So much fun for space exploration :)

Oh it's no problem for the established player. We all know we like the game. But to the new average Joe it's just ..."Wth is this? No clouds? And I can count the pixels in the night sky. Lol, fail."

LOL totally see it coming AAA gamer mentality :)

- - - Updated - - -

totally makes me laugh that we have a faster than light mod for ksp but no other star to go to.

That flying dust is just jaw dropping already. How cool that will look on the Mun.

Such things would look very different on the Mün (or any airless body) because the lack of atmosphere for the particles to hit would cause them to NOT billow into clouds...the dust would just stream out ballistically. So if Squad does try to use a billowing effect on airless workds, it will be seriously wrong.

I just have to say:

OH MY GOD THEY ADDED LAUNCH SMOKE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

Also, they may have done it better than hotrockets, as with hotrockets whenever your velocity was close to zero smoke started billowing out of your engine and it was a pain in the @$$ to see.

Such things would look very different on the Mün (or any airless body) because the lack of atmosphere for the particles to hit would cause them to NOT billow into clouds...the dust would just stream out ballistically. So if Squad does try to use a billowing effect on airless workds, it will be seriously wrong.

It'll go well with hearing explosions from your debris on Mun.

Looks like they nailed it. :)

Enjoy Mun landing FX in EnterElysium's YT vid - no billowing clouds :)

(But, all the usual sound FX... I like 5th's point: Movies and TV get us so used to sound travelling in a vacuum, that most (me included) don't even notice it as a Thing that shouldn't be there, unless someone points it out.)

EDIT: the Q&A on Reddit (link)

....The billowing clouds only appear in bodies with atmospheres. Otherwise, you just get the smaller surface wake and debris, as the dust cloud would immediately dissipate in a vacuum.
Edited by basic.syntax

What does this have to do with newbies?

Watching exhaust flames spew out of either side of the launch pad? I suppose it might have concerned newbies that their KSP launches didn't look like real launches in that respect.

BUT...Has Harv confirmed that this exhaust effect is indeed the "long-overdue" feature he was talking about in this thread? Or have people just assumed that?