Favorite new feature?

Dman979

Aerodynamics and all it implies (re-entry heat, fairings, proper gravity turns, having to think about how you'll push your ship up through the atmosphere, having to think about how you'll get whatever you're returning to Kerbin back in one piece).

If we're doing 2nds and 3rds, 2nd is all the bugfixes. Memory leaks and patched conics not noticing SOI changes need to never ever be a thing. And the radial decouplers not properly decoupling. Or docking ports not undocking. Kerbals sliding off ladders or being ejected from them with force. All these, assuming they all made it in, are great "features."

Don't know what 3rd would be. Lot of good runner ups to the runner up slot. Female Kerbals. New (and easily moddable) tech tree. Actually balanced parts. The list goes on and on.

I'm in a bit of an interesting position in that my favorite new feature is actually the multitude of bugfixes. Most of the neat new features I've experienced in some capacity via mods, and I've played this game in its pre-final state since late 2011. As such, the long-standing bugs being fixed is easily the most exciting part of the update.

I have to say the best feature (assuming that squad actually fixed the majority of them), would be the bugfixes. Mem leaks, decoupler crap, map view bugs, kraken attacks, ect ect ect. While i am very happy for every single feature theyre adding, nothing beats actually FIXING whats broken!

Im also hoping (there was a hint of this somewhere) that they actually made some performance improvements especially to loading times, memory useage, ect. Perhaps if we are very luvcky the entre game will run a little faster with more parts too, as my biggest annoyance is the utter unplayeability of over 1000 parts within the draw range. I do what i can to make all my ships below 400 parts, but its very tough to actually make a battlecruiser without going into 1000+ pats if only for the sheer size and amount of structural panels for the outer hull.

Still, of the actual new features (i doubt bu fixes are technically a feature), i have to say the aerodynamics makes me most excited. While i was never big on making real world replicas oir realistic craft, i never understood why i could survive a 50km/s reentry straight vertical? Same with the atmo behavior being mass based drag (i can have a giant WALL of structural panels and itll fly fine provided enough lift/wings), so im hoping it at least makes the game more plausible, but at the same time doesnt necessarily limit absurd stuff, just makes them use more fuel to beat drag ect.

As for the rest, its just additional stuff that i never thought would actually be in game, stuff like mining, not a feature i plan to go all out and abuse (i enjoy designing stuff for insane ranges without any refuel needs), is still welcome and something i have to try (and the 1st thing for mining is testing if its possible to mine a fuel tank or a kerbal even). Then there are female kerbals which will SO come in handy for my lunar corporation replica base. Given they only used female clones or something as soldiers, the maleish kerbals just dont fit there at all. And of theres the new landing gear, wings, ect. WIngs are most likely going to end up as low part count capital ship hull armoring, given that right now regardless of what you choose, be it wings, structural panels, or whatever, you just cant make low part count starship hulls in the scale that it can actually be called a starship when beside a fighter replica. landing gear is also nice, and perhaps we will get some way to actually work with largeish planes now both the landing gear as well as the wings.

All in all, aside from aerodynamics and bugfixes, everything here is at least in my opinion free extra stuff i never expected to get in the game stock.

All of them. I feel as if Squad was implementing my personal wish list (aero, heat + shields, bigger wings which hold fuel, and hopefully some delta-V info during construction), except that they add a few things I didn't even know I want but am looking forward to (service bays will make everything I ever built obsolete - what comes now will look better than ever).

Thrust correction. Female Kerbals are a close second.

What is this thrust correction thing? I didn't find any info about it so far.

EDIT: my favourite thing in this update are new wings and new landing gears.

I'm actually really happy about the IVA's, but my second favorite part is the speeding up of loading times. If some people have toasters for computers, I have more of a 1980 microwave oven. I'm kind of surprised I can even play KSP... but hopefully the fixing of RAM leaks will help me run a little faster than I am right now.

What is this thrust correction thing? I didn't find any info about it so far.

If I remember correctly, as engine's Isp will be the same regardless of atmosphere density, but the thrust will change. Now it's the other way around.

Looking forward to female kerbals a lot more then I thought I would.

Other than general bugfixes I'm looking forward to, hopefully, no more savebreaking after 1.0 so I can get a really long and modded career going over multiple versions of the game.

If I remember correctly, as engine's Isp will be the same regardless of atmosphere density, but the thrust will change. Now it's the other way around.

currently: thrust is the same, ISP varies with atmosphere-pressure and fuel consumption varies in order to keep up the same thrust.

reality and ksp 1.0: thrust varies, ISP varies with atmosphere-pressure, fuel consumption stays the same (unless you throttle up/down).

I guess, first stage SRBs will be even more important, as they add a high thrust at surface pressure, with medium weight, and can be discarded during gravity turn, when the gravity loss is no longer a problem.

for me, one of the biggest features will be the resource map, as it should be easily usable by mods, then of course the bugfixes and better aerodynamic. I'm not so sure about the usage of the resource-name "Ore", as ore is already something different in modded ksp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.