What should the first Mars City/Colony be called?

Fr8monkey

I don't think that what we name the colony is the big issue (Leap for mankind), but rather what we should really re-name is Mars to Water of course, just to keep the theme Earth started.

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2015 at 10:03 PM, Tommygun said:

Capricorn One

Caprica 1 :P

but seriously, i'd call it Caprica 1 or Cydonia Base

On 4/28/2015 at 1:29 PM, Deadpangod3 said:

New Terra

Hey! I'm typing a short story and the main world is called Neoterra :D

Edited by Ogcorp Squirrel

I'd go for "Campus Martius".

It means: "field of Mars" in Latin.
Apparently it was a very crowded place in old Rome, so being the first settlement, it's bound to be on Mars as well.

Edited by T-Bouw

On 5/5/2015 at 8:11 PM, Swede said:

Of course the first 2 cities are going to be called Elon city and Musk city.

Urgh, no way. I would consent to selling a fragrance in the Mars gift shop called "Elon's Musk" though.

On a similar vein, there could be a mountain/hill called "Tim's Peake".

The first city will be called London, naturally, followed by a renaming of Mars to England.

Beidha. Named after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beidha_(archaeological_site)

One of the oldest known human settlements.

I think that's a good general criterion for Mars city names: Name them after ancient, no longer occupied, settlements on Earth. Keeps it relatively apolitical and not tied to any particular modern person or nation.

BTW how do they plan on having enough toilet paper on mars missions. That is one of those things I imagine they cannot manufacture on mars... Or will they be wiping their bums with clothes and washing them.(Also using up water!) How will they wash their clothes?!

If they are dropping supplies it only takes one failed drop and it will be one excrementsty experience!! (Why is the forum auto changing what I type?! Particularly the world exrementsty. That is not the word I typed...)

Edited by Arugela

5 hours ago, Arugela said:

BTW how do they plan on having enough toilet paper on mars missions. That is one of those things I imagine they cannot manufacture on mars... Or will they be wiping their bums with clothes and washing them.(Also using up water!) How will they wash their clothes?!

If they are dropping supplies it only takes one failed drop and it will be one excrementsty experience!! (Why is the forum auto changing what I type?! Particularly the world exrementsty. That is not the word I typed...)

They'd probably use water to clean themselves, as its probably easier to get on Mars.

On topic, it would probably be officially called something like "Permanent Mars Exploration and Settlement Station", or PMESS, so it would probably just be called The P-Mess (or the equivalent word for whatever acronym they come up with)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.