Scott Manley's 1.0 Rocket-Powered Surfboard (Airboard?)

lincourtl

This is really not a big deal. Games get released all the time from major studios with little funny issues like this. This isn't game breaking, it's not going to corrupt save data or hard lock the system. I work as a tester for a very major game studio with very rigorous testing standards, and every now and then something like this slips by. Either we find it in the last few days of testing and they just say "we'll get it on a post-release patch" so they don't have to move the release date, or it doesn't get found until someone posts a video of it on reddit, and then I get to do the work of actually researching it properly and making sure it's fixed. And you know what, our games still get stellar reviews.

I swear, it's like some people think that if a reviewer happens upon a single quirky little bug in 1.0, SQUAD will get shut down and there'll be no more KSP. Little things get by, and very often releasing on time and doing a patch is a better business decision than changing the date to fix something less than 1 in 100 people will find.

I wonder, did 100 people miss it or did it just go on the "nobody will notice this" board?

I mean, the non-critical-bug board.

This is totally unrelated but I figured it was worth noting. This is my 5,000th post.

- - - Updated - - -

And to bring it back on topic...

Kind of a hard bug to find. Or rather rare, how often do you do this? XD

100% of the time while iteratively testing a new system, like a proper QA team should do.

They should have a list of all new sytems and all things you can do with them to make sure there are no bugs. I suspect instead Squad says "Hey, here's 1.0 give it a try!"

They should have a list of all new sytems and all things you can do with them to make sure there are no bugs. I suspect instead Squad says "Hey, here's 1.0 give it a try!"

Should be: "Here is 1.0, try to break it as much as possible, we don't care how much damage you do as long as you document it well."

well Das just managed to launch into orbit with the launch clamps following along behind.

I've been shouted down before for saying how important user testing is vs QA testing, but I'm gonna say it again; as a developer I love getting QA team reports, 'cos they never cause me as much work!! QA teams just don't find the odd things that users do. User testing is hard to deal with, but so important.

This isn't game breaking, it's not going to corrupt save data or hard lock the system. I work as a tester for a very major game studio with very rigorous testing standards, and every now and then something like this slips by.

Except it kind of is. This bug means you can't launch stuff inside a cargo bay that is designed to be aerodynamic. I can just imagine launching an ion powered probe/plane destined for Eve, inside a space plane, to get it to orbit, only to find out it didn't work after transferring it there. I know I'd be upset about that. If there is a patch within a week, then it's not be a big problem. If we need to wait 1-6 months, then there is a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

well Das just managed to launch into orbit with the launch clamps following along behind.

I've been shouted down before for saying how important user testing is vs QA testing, but I'm gonna say it again; as a developer I love getting QA team reports, 'cos they never cause me as much work!! QA teams just don't find the odd things that users do. User testing is hard to deal with, but so important.

Same. QA testing generates almost no issues for me and my development team. Users though are a different story. Last Saturday I was up at 4am to fix an issue users discovered that QA didn't. It wasn't a typical scenario, but common enough that it was classified as severity 1. It would likely affect 20% of the user base.

Same. QA testing generates almost no issues for me and my development team. Users though are a different story.
+1 Even if user testing is a bit more tedious for all parties, users find a much wider variety of bugs. QA testing is often quite regimented as opposed to the free-form usage you find in the wild.

This is not a new bug. Had that a few times over the last versions. It's rare and i can't reproduce it. Has something to do how you place your clamps and some unknown effect while loading the craft.

Oh god, I don't want to hear this. That exact bug made me completely give up on something I was trying to do way back in .19. I was told it was related to some of the mods I had, and so I've been putting off my project, as well as playing KSP for the most part, until some of the mods I was using were going to be stock (at the time it seemed we would get them around .20-.21).

Hello guys. I did not have the time to watch the stream. So what is the problem ? I read something about cargo bays problem ? So what happened ? We will be unable to launch satellites from MK3 Cargo bay ? Or what is this bug ?

Thanks for clarification.

Hello guys. I did not have the time to watch the stream. So what is the problem ? I read something about cargo bays problem ? So what happened ? We will be unable to launch satellites from MK3 Cargo bay ? Or what is this bug ?

Thanks for clarification.

The first post in this thread explained the bug succinctly. Also, Harv has said that the bug was quickly fixed, but the fix won't be in version 1.0.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.