[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Hi,

I am new to using mods and have read the notices regarding the removal of Nom-O-Matics. I'm pleased to see that they are still available in a 'legacy folder', but I cannot find this folder nor understand how to put these back into my game. I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this, as I have a manned mission to Duna in progress (25 days out from Kerbin) and the ship will not load "because it had the following parts missing: USILS.Greenhouse.IL." The ship had the inline Nom-O-Matic and no longer appears in the VAB either so I cannot easily redesign it without starting from scratch. I use ckan for installation but cannot find this legacy folder in the latest USI-LS download from GitHub either (0.5.2.0). :confused:

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, Nori said:

So I updated to 0.5.2 and I'm getting a GUI error upon opening the life support screen.

Log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fayg46gc9dm2ssy/KSP.zip?dl=0

Oooh, I do hate to do this, but yep, me too - guessed relevant log lines in spoiler below:

Spoiler

[EXC 11:36:20.622] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_Editor.GenerateWindow ()
    LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_Editor.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[ERR 11:36:20.623] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

(repeated with ... terrifying fervor)

Tested with all other mods nuked such that just USI-LS 0.5.2.0 remained.

Also seeing an incremental addition to max crew capacity every time any part is clicked - repeatedly add and remove an (eg.) antenna (works with any part) from a single crew pod and max hab goes up by one on each click. Likely related, reverting a flight leaves a blank life support window in the vab, which appears to only reset upon re-loading the craft.

EDIT: Forgot to say - my little kerbin-system taxi shuttle thanks you from the bottom of it's solar sails to the tips of it's cute little stubby wings* for the recycler module fix - it really is a great little module, providing just the nudge to life support efficiency needed for in-system shuttles.

* may all who sail upon her enjoy delicious recycled nutrient paste

Edited by MiniMatt

11 hours ago, Nori said:

So I updated to 0.5.2 and I'm getting a GUI error upon opening the life support screen.

Log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fayg46gc9dm2ssy/KSP.zip?dl=0

Which scene?  I can't repro this...

2 hours ago, Jebaduna said:

Hi,

I am new to using mods and have read the notices regarding the removal of Nom-O-Matics. I'm pleased to see that they are still available in a 'legacy folder', but I cannot find this folder nor understand how to put these back into my game. I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this, as I have a manned mission to Duna in progress (25 days out from Kerbin) and the ship will not load "because it had the following parts missing: USILS.Greenhouse.IL." The ship had the inline Nom-O-Matic and no longer appears in the VAB either so I cannot easily redesign it without starting from scratch. I use ckan for installation but cannot find this legacy folder in the latest USI-LS download from GitHub either (0.5.2.0). :confused:

Thanks in advance.

They are completely gone with KSP 1.2 - you'd need to lift them from an earlier release and manually drop them in

2 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

Oooh, I do hate to do this, but yep, me too - guessed relevant log lines in spoiler below:

Hide contents

[EXC 11:36:20.622] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[ERR 11:36:20.623] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

(repeated with ... terrifying fervor)

Tested with all other mods nuked such that just USI-LS 0.5.2.0 remained.

Also seeing an incremental addition to max crew capacity every time any part is clicked - repeatedly add and remove an (eg.) antenna (works with any part) from a single crew pod and max hab goes up by one on each click. Likely related, reverting a flight leaves a blank life support window in the vab, which appears to only reset upon re-loading the craft.

EDIT: Forgot to say - my little kerbin-system taxi shuttle thanks you from the bottom of it's solar sails to the tips of it's cute little stubby wings* for the recycler module fix - it really is a great little module, providing just the nudge to life support efficiency needed for in-system shuttles.

* may all who sail upon her enjoy delicious recycled nutrient paste

The incremental crew issue is sorted in the next release.  And glad the mod is working out for you :) and your shuttle :)

6 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

FYI new release is up

Yay! Can confirm max-crew increment fixed!

Am still getting null ref exceptions in the logs - I *think* it's only happening now upon scene change from flight to editor after a revert, when the life support window was open in both:

Spoiler

[LOG 18:47:58.270] *****Adding icon for LifeSupport
[LOG 18:47:58.281] Untitled Space Craft loaded!
[WRN 18:47:58.334] HighlightingSystem : Framebuffer depth data is not available and can't be used to occlude highlighting. Highlighting occluders enabled.
[EXC 18:47:58.351] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 18:47:58.352] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

(for testing - nuked game data folder fresh USI-LS 0.5.3.0, naught else but that installed)

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Which scene?  I can't repro this...

@RoverDude @MiniMatt

It's the Toolbar mod interacting negatively with USI LS. Possibly related to this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/55420-120-toolbar-1713-common-api-for-draggableresizable-buttons-toolbar/&do=findComment&comment=2770188

Anyway, removing the toolbar mod "fixes" it.

Edited by Nori

4 minutes ago, Nori said:

...It's the Toolbar mod interacting negatively with USI LS...

Curious, I'm getting it on a bleached fresh install with naught else installed. Clearly it's something specific to my setup then, I'll try digging further.

Edited by MiniMatt

6 minutes ago, Nori said:

@RoverDude @MiniMatt

It's the Toolbar mod interacting negatively with USI LS. Possibly related to this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/55420-120-toolbar-1713-common-api-for-draggableresizable-buttons-toolbar/&do=findComment&comment=2770188

Anyway, removing the toolbar mod "fixes" it.

@MiniMatt - please give me exact repro steps on an install with only the latest USI-LS

Fresh KSP 1.2.0.1586 Win x64
GameData folder nuked (save the Squad stock folder)
USI-LS 0.5.3.0 installed

Create new sandbox save, default settings (no flights in progress - thought, haven't tested with a fresh save)
Open SPH
Select MK-1 inline cockpit
Open LifeSupport status button
Launch
When loaded on runway, open LifeSupport status button
Revert flight to SPH

Autosaved ship loads up, with a blanked LifeSupport window - it seems whilst this blanked window is displayed, the log file fills up with null ref exceptions. Closing/reopening the LifeSupport window doesn't help, starting a new craft works fine (ie the LifeSupport window displays data as expected).

Full log file at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzCQMKilmnyaUXRyN1pCWkVyWVU

Holler if there's anything else you need, but clearly just drop it if it begins to look like something unique to my setup.

Edited by MiniMatt
tested with a fresh default settings sandbox save

I'm getting null refs when I want to open LS settings window in space center.

Clean KSP install, only USI-LS 0.5.3.0 installed. Doesn't matter, if it's x32 or x64 version of the game.

[LOG 21:15:20.950] Loading Config
[EXC 21:15:20.951] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportPersistance.SetupSettings ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportPersistance.GetSettings ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GuiOn ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GenerateWindow ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)

27 minutes ago, maja said:

I'm getting null refs when I want to open LS settings window in space center.

Clean KSP install, only USI-LS 0.5.3.0 installed. Doesn't matter, if it's x32 or x64 version of the game.

[LOG 21:15:20.950] Loading Config
[EXC 21:15:20.951] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportPersistance.SetupSettings ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportPersistance.GetSettings ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GuiOn ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.GenerateWindow ()
	LifeSupport.LifeSupportMonitor_SpaceCenter.OnWindow (Int32 windowId)

Can confirm using 5.3. Well it happened once in a new career save but I was unable to replicate it. Tried Sandbox, Science, and Career.

Edited by Tarheel1999

1 hour ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Can confirm using 5.3. Well it happened once in a new career save but I was unable to replicate it. Tried Sandbox, Science, and Career.

Did some tests. It seems, that this is happening only after the game start. I can replicate it every time, when I try to open settings window first time I'm in space centre. The error is gone after a scene change and return to space center.

I can replicate @MiniMatt's error.

Has anyone else noticed the Nom-o-Matic 5000 running a lot slower than it used to? I had a mid-career station around the Mun with two of them, both configured for agroponics, and they couldnt keep up with the mulch generated by only two kerbals. Plenty of fertilizer and EC.  I'm away from the computer atm, so no logs - just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

37 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Has anyone else noticed the Nom-o-Matic 5000 running a lot slower than it used to? I had a mid-career station around the Mun with two of them, both configured for agroponics, and they couldnt keep up with the mulch generated by only two kerbals. Plenty of fertilizer and EC.  I'm away from the computer atm, so no logs - just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Is it possible you've got some recycling going on too, and it's not a case of the Noms being unable to keep up with mulch processing but rather them shutting down & not processing the mulch because your supplies are full? I'm 99% certain that recycling will reduce your supplies consumption but won't reduce the quantity of ....err... kerbal droppings / mulch stacking up. Ie, the recyclers don't turn ~70% of kerbal droppings into supplies, they just reduce your supply consumption by ~70% and leave the droppings to pile up in a corner.

Remember also that the supply consumption rates have been significantly tweaked for 1.2.

That said, I haven't started my 1.2 LS/MKS/Konstruction/Karibou career in earnest yet, just messing around in sandbox testing and theorycrafting.

17 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

Is it possible you've got some recycling going on too, and it's not a case of the Noms being unable to keep up with mulch processing but rather them shutting down & not processing the mulch because your supplies are full? I'm 99% certain that recycling will reduce your supplies consumption but won't reduce the quantity of ....err... kerbal droppings / mulch stacking up. Ie, the recyclers don't turn ~70% of kerbal droppings into supplies, they just reduce your supply consumption by ~70% and leave the droppings to pile up in a corner.

Remember also that the supply consumption rates have been significantly tweaked for 1.2.

That said, I haven't started my 1.2 LS/MKS/Konstruction/Karibou career in earnest yet, just messing around in sandbox testing and theorycrafting.

Recycling should reduce both supply consumption and mulch production - they should always be 1:1.

I do think I remember something from the release notes about the nom-o-matics not producing as much as they did before.  (I'm still on 1.1.3 myself, until NFC updates.)

11 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

Supplies are definitely not full.  I have an MPL doing recycling, but it was my understanding that this simply reduced the consumption rate of the noms. Each NOM 5000 on my station has only used about 2 units of fertilizer in 60 days of operation.

1 minute ago, Norcalplanner said:

Supplies are definitely not full.  I have an MPL doing recycling, but it was my understanding that this simply reduced the consumption rate of the noms. Each NOM 5000 on my station has only used about 2 units of fertilizer in 60 days of operation.

Plus lots of mulch just sitting there waiting to be converted.

Ahh, my apologies, you're correct

Just double checking in game, the Nom 5000 in agroponics mode is expected to eat 0.43 mulch/hour and produce 0.48 supplies/hour.

Meanwhile a kerbal eats 10.8 supplies/(6 hour) day, or 1.8/hour.

This means I've either misunderstood something badly (very, VERY likely - I get most things wrong on first glance) or I'm going to need to re-plan.

edit: Ahh, the recycler efficiency of the MPL has changed quite a bit - from ~70% in 1.1 to 50% (up to 4 crew) in 1.2.
So 2 kerbals with an MPL recycler would be eating 10.8 supplies per day total under 1.2. In 1.1 I'm pretty sure this could be covered by one Nom 5000 greenhouse, but clearly not under 1.2 - the changes Dstaal mentions are clearly worth noting here.

The changes do kinda make sense of course, I could definitely not grow enough food to keep me alive on a daily basis in a space smaller than my car.

edit 2: So it looks like the Nom 25k producing 2.38 supplies/hour (14.28/six-hour day) will do the trick for your 2-kerbal MPL recycled station - this coming at a cost of 1.148t and 1.32/s electricities; or four Nom 5ks, at a cost of half a ton, and 1.04ec/s will produce 11.52 supplies/six hour day.

Edited by MiniMatt