[1.12.x] USI Life Support

RoverDude

Just trying to get something clear in my head with regard to recyclers (important when the radial one turns up).

"If you have multiple Recyclers running, their effects are cumulative. The vessel-wide consumption reduction is capped by the most efficient recycler - so if your most efficient Recycler is a Science Lab, you can't reduce your Supplies consumption by more than 70%, no matter how many Recyclers are running. "

Let's say you had a Science Lab (Capacity: 5 Kerbals, 70% recycler) and five radial recyclers (Capacity: 1 Kerbal, assuming a 25% recycler).

Does "cumulative" in this sense mean that the total is a 70% recycler, with a ten Kerbal capacity? If not then how does this work in combination?

(Incidentally, finally sat down last night and designed Duna Direct with regards to hab/home time. If we end up with inflatable modules then this will help a lot, but out and return hab times can be accommodated with a Hitchhiker pod + Cupola, and the surface stay with four of the inflatable surface hab modules).

Had a few ideas for USI-LS:

A penalty mode where Kerbals still work but have their levels effectively set to zero. Something "less" than grouchiness, but more than nothing. To me it would make sense for hab and home time depletion, as well as making "probe core on everything" a bit less encouraged.

Varying penalties depending on Kerbal type. I'm thinking things like pilots would still work, but scientists and engineers wouldn't. Might be too many options though.

An "adversity" feature that would allow suspending or extending timers in certain situations. I'm mainly thinking that mods like Dang It could trigger this. The oxygen tank blew up and suddenly you don't care much that three of you are crammed into the lander, that kind of thing. Or is it already possible for other mods to interfere with the USI-LS timers if they desire?

Edited by cantab

5 hours ago, Domfluff said:

Just trying to get something clear in my head with regard to recyclers (important when the radial one turns up).

"If you have multiple Recyclers running, their effects are cumulative. The vessel-wide consumption reduction is capped by the most efficient recycler - so if your most efficient Recycler is a Science Lab, you can't reduce your Supplies consumption by more than 70%, no matter how many Recyclers are running. "

Let's say you had a Science Lab (Capacity: 5 Kerbals, 70% recycler) and five radial recyclers (Capacity: 1 Kerbal, assuming a 25% recycler).

Does "cumulative" in this sense mean that the total is a 70% recycler, with a ten Kerbal capacity? If not then how does this work in combination?

(Incidentally, finally sat down last night and designed Duna Direct with regards to hab/home time. If we end up with inflatable modules then this will help a lot, but out and return hab times can be accommodated with a Hitchhiker pod + Cupola, and the surface stay with four of the inflatable surface hab modules).

With ten Kerbals, five radials, and one science lab:

5 x (1 / 10 * 60%) = 30%

1 x (5 / 10 * 70%) = 35%

Total = 65%

Small heads up.  I'd like to get a couple of volunteer testers - there's a new USI-LS version that includes two major changes.

1.  EC can now be configured with it's own timeout - so you can have EC kill your kerbals in a few hours or the default 15 days.

2.  EC is now part of the UI - and the UI no longer shows negatives - the countdown to zero includes your 'grace' period.

You can grab a replacement DLL at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9govyfau1uv3no/USILifeSupport.dll?dl=0

Please post any issues or (better yet) confirmation that it all works!

Seems to work perfectly.

Obviously you're running into the various stock problems with electric charge and high time warp - at the higher time warps it will show huge numbers, and at the highest level just the default value, but they're performing correctly (e.g., it may only show 1 day of electric charge on the life support panel and 0 EC on the resource panel at maximum warp, but that one day lasts until the reactor gives out, at which point they die as expected.)

(Tested with stock solar panels, your reactors and the reactors from NFE)

Hello, and thanks for the mod. I'd love to use it, unfortunately I'm experiencing a strange bug when I install it. When loading a scenario or game in progress, as soon as the ship appears on screen the camera shift to one side (usually to the left) and quickly (a fraction of a second) the ship disappear. Other times the ship does not show up at all, and the camera does not work. Sometime it is not possible to quit the game and I have to force quit it.

I'm experiencing this issue since a month or so and since then I am simply trying to narrow down which mod causes it. I suspect it is USI LS, but in general it seems to be related to one of your mods because the issue resolves when I delete the "UmbraSpaceIndustries" folder.

I run KSP 1.1.2 on a MacBook Pro Retina early 2013 and OS X 10.11.4

Any way could I help you in finding out what actually happens?

ps. My usual test is to add or remove a mod and load a training mission. The Docking and first Asteroid missions suffer this issue (ship disappearing and/or UI becoming unresponsive).

Edited by carlorizzante

1 hour ago, carlorizzante said:

Hello, and thanks for the mod. I'd love to use it, unfortunately I'm experiencing a strange bug when I install it. When loading a scenario or game in progress, as soon as the ship appears on screen the camera shift to one side (usually to the left) and quickly (a fraction of a second) the ship disappear. Other times the ship does not show up at all, and the camera does not work. Sometime it is not possible to quit the game and I have to force quit it.

I'm experiencing this issue since a month or so and since then I am simply trying to narrow down which mod causes it. I suspect it is USI LS, but in general it seems to be related to one of your mods because the issue resolves when I delete the "UmbraSpaceIndustries" folder.

I run KSP 1.1.2 on a MacBook Pro Retina early 2013 and OS X 10.11.4

Any way could I help you in finding out what actually happens?

ps. My usual test is to add or remove a mod and load a training mission. The Docking and first Asteroid missions suffer this issue (ship disappearing and/or UI becoming unresponsive).

Screenshot of your gamedata folder might help.  Also training and tutorial missions are a bad way to test mods as they are not mod friendly and are known to freak out at times with modded installs.

I just did a test of this Life Support mod.  Love it by the way - snacks seems to fit the setting better than any other life support.  I basically put Jeb in orbit - I also use MechJeb2 and set the calendar to human years and hours.  I give Jeb 500 units of Noms and he seemed to eat four units within two hours.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is Jeb just a pig?  From what I understand 500 units should last a Kerbal year so maybe having a different time scale is messing it up.  

Edited by ValleyTwo

4 minutes ago, ValleyTwo said:

I just did a test of this mod.  Love it by the way - snacks seems to fit the setting better than any other life support.  I basically put Jeb in orbit - I also use MechJeb2 and set the calendar to human years and hours.  I give Jeb 500 units of Noms and he seemed to eat four units within two hours.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is Jeb just a pig?  From what I understand 500 units should last a Kerbal year so maybe having a different time scale is messing it up.  

Default is ~16 supplies per day, based on a kerbal day, or 2.6 per hour.  Sounds like Jeb is holding back a little.

6 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Default is ~16 supplies per day, based on a kerbal day, or 2.6 per hour.  Sounds like Jeb is holding back a little.

Oh, okay.  So 500 is in fact 21 days (using 24 hour days).  Hmm..good to know. 

Edit : Good god, I am way off, more like 8 days (using 24 hour days).

Edited by ValleyTwo
bad math

Hi, RoverDude,

My Valentina became tourist while flying to Minmus and back. I understand it should mean that she ran out of supplies but it should work for 15 days, shouldn't it?

I'm attaching screen with life support stats.

Spoiler

UX3t4a9.jpg

Could you please clarify the current behavior of the mod, is this correct one?

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Show me your configuration screen as well.  Also are you using 24 hour or 6 hour days?

Well, as you can see it's 24 ours in life support screen. Configuration (if we're talking about LS module) I never changed anything.

@RoverDude When you came with this concept of 15d grace period, you conceived it as 15d of emergencial/extra supplies or 15d of lack of supplies? I always wonder if I'm letting my poor kerbals starve or if they are fine. Of course irt doesn't change anything fo the game, I'm just curious :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.