[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

I can replace buttons and switches, but the screens are embedded into the internal model of the MK3 cockpit.

Plus we need a new prop in default RPM for the Action Groups. Currently its using the speed screen prop for AG buttons, which is quite ugly for this purpose. I wonder if I can borrow the B9 switches or Alexustas' Alcor buttons.

If you do use alcor if you can get the labeling working for them like ALCOR has for itself that would be really cool. Would be nice to have labels for action groups when you have a lot. Thanks for makeing RPM cfg for stock. IVA just isn't without RPM.

Hmm, I thought I had made a post here a few days ago but my history log seems to say Ididn't. Anyway, I am looking for updated/expanded/improved tutorials about how to setup RPM surfaces/transforms/??? and making them work. The existing part .cfgs are extremely terse and seem to just activate hard-coded functionality. I need to know how to slap arbitrary RPM screens on given surfaces.

Also, I'm trying to go crazy with JSITransparentPod. I have had mixed luck. I got Bargain Rockets to work. I have also tried it on a few parts from StanfordToruses, the EVA view is perfect but the furnature is rotated 90 degrees in IVA view but the kerbs are perfect... Any guidance on how to deal with this would help, thanx.

Hmm, I thought I had made a post here a few days ago but my history log seems to say Ididn't. Anyway, I am looking for updated/expanded/improved tutorials about how to setup RPM surfaces/transforms/??? and making them work. The existing part .cfgs are extremely terse and seem to just activate hard-coded functionality. I need to know how to slap arbitrary RPM screens on given surfaces.

Also, I'm trying to go crazy with JSITransparentPod. I have had mixed luck. I got Bargain Rockets to work. I have also tried it on a few parts from StanfordToruses, the EVA view is perfect but the furnature is rotated 90 degrees in IVA view but the kerbs are perfect... Any guidance on how to deal with this would help, thanx.

IVA props placement tutorial:

For more information see this thread.

I can replace buttons and switches, but the screens are embedded into the internal model of the MK3 cockpit.

Plus we need a new prop in default RPM for the Action Groups. Currently its using the speed screen prop for AG buttons, which is quite ugly for this purpose. I wonder if I can borrow the B9 switches or Alexustas' Alcor buttons.

Alexustas has a fairly permissive license on his buttons, fortunately. I'm a little reluctant to add too many props to the base RPM distribution, but the push buttons might be a good candidate. If you download the FASA Gemini link from my sig, you'll see a switch that's set up for action groups already. I'd be willing to incorporate that into the basic RPM distro.

... I need to know how to slap arbitrary RPM screens on given surfaces.

How do you mean? Adding an existing RPM MFD to a surface, or turning an arbitrary location into a screen? The former requires the use of Unity and PartTools (the easy way, at least); the latter is challenging at best, impossible at worst.

I can't provide much guidance - Mihara implemented that feature, and I've managed to fix the problems with it that cropped up in the KSP 1.0.x transition. You really need a part and IVA that were designed for transparency to have good results.

Oh, are the default screens not props? I'd always just assumed they were. My bad.

I'd think it's best to avoid using non-standard RPM props in the base config (obviously an upgraded Alcor/B9 config would be awesome if you want to go that way).

I am noticing that in ckan, "raster prop monitor core" is unable to install correctly. the url that ckan tries to download from gets an error 404. I tried manually installing, but while autodetect did find "raster prop monitor" it did not find "raster prop monitor core"

Alexustas has a fairly permissive license on his buttons, fortunately. I'm a little reluctant to add too many props to the base RPM distribution, but the push buttons might be a good candidate. If you download the FASA Gemini link from my sig, you'll see a switch that's set up for action groups already. I'd be willing to incorporate that into the basic RPM distro.

Yeah, it would be nice to replace the current AG buttons prop with the FASA one. But since original buttons have labels (the speed LCD), I wish this feature won't be omitted. If you incorporate them - I'll be willing to update all the prop patches with them.

ALCOR example:

4M3CjYZl.png

Secondly I find it a pain in the ... going through the colored buttons for SAS,RCS,Brakes,Light,Gears when they're not colored at all while switched off. I always find myself pushing the button on keyboard in the end, which spoils my IVA experience. Why not make images for those buttons?

This stuff.

Jovh9iA.png

P.S. Did you get the internal for the inline cockpit and the textures from my post on the previous page?

Yeah, it would be nice to replace the current AG buttons prop with the FASA one. But since original buttons have labels (the speed LCD), I wish this feature won't be omitted. If you incorporate them - I'll be willing to update all the prop patches with them.

ALCOR example:

There are two parts there - the button part, and a plaque that displays the AG. What we may consider doing - stick to a fairly vanilla cockpit using what's already in the RPM distribution, and make a separate, enhanced version that uses some of the ASET props. RPM was originally intended to be a toolkit for IVA makers to use. After I think about it for a while, I really don't think I want to be adding a lot of props, particularly if they're duplicates of props that are already out there.

P.S. Did you get the internal for the inline cockpit and the textures from my post on the previous page?

I have not grabbed them yet - I've been busy working on an IVA to use for testing some new RPM features, and working on those new features. I'll grab your stuff tomorrow.

RPM was originally intended to be a toolkit for IVA makers to use. After I think about it for a while, I really don't think I want to be adding a lot of props, particularly if they're duplicates of props that are already out there.

And it turned out to be a standalone enhancement on 99% KSP installs, cause tweaking the props is very hard for an average user. I've seen the JSIActionGroupLabelButton# being used only in he MK1 Pod and nowhere else. Cause it's really not fit for this purpose, might as well be replaced without notice. We can repurpose another stock prop for this mission.

I like this button type.

2qAIxrq.jpg

Here's what stock labels look like:

NoJMgZ8.png

Edited by Enceos

And it turned out to be a standalone enhancement on 99% KSP installs, cause tweaking the props is very hard for an average user. I've seen the JSIActionGroupLabelButton# being used only in he MK1 Pod and nowhere else. Cause it's really not fit for this purpose, might as well be replaced without notice. We can repurpose another stock prop for this mission.

I like this button type.

The problem with the stock props is two-fold: first, a lot of those switches don't have colliders in their meshes, which means that you can't click on them. That's why we use those light-up buttons for things like SAS - they're about the only thing that has a collider that a player can click, and a way to animate it to provide feedback. I like the first switch, too - I'd see it as a "pull out / push in" plunger switch, but we'd need a modeler to create one that has a collider and an animation before it can be used.

The problem with most of the labeled instruments is that the label is built into the texture, so someone would have to take the original texture, edit that one little part, and export it as a new texture. That can add up pretty quick if it's being used extensively. The beauty of the ASET props is that they're designed to take advantage of RPM features, which is why you can have over a dozen push buttons that need only a single texture sheet for labels.

I am trying to implement getting science readings through RPM. Is there a way and/or tutorial that would help me out?

VesselView can access any part on your vessel and activate it.

I've posted a dev build of RasterPropMonitor v0.19.4 on DropBox. This is an unofficial release to get a few features out in the wild for IVA makers. A fairly complete changelist of what's new is on the GitHub wiki (scroll down to the Upcoming Changes section). Amongst the changes - new IVAs courtesy forum member Enceos (many thanks for taking the time to put these together), and a new background handler option for monitor pages that'll allow IVA makers to do things like this:

UO79Ts.png

(no, the current MFD doesn't use this yet. This is an MFD I'm working on to test out these features)

I've posted a dev build of RasterPropMonitor v0.19.4 on DropBox. This is an unofficial release to get a few features out in the wild for IVA makers. A fairly complete changelist of what's new is on the GitHub wiki (scroll down to the Upcoming Changes section). Amongst the changes - new IVAs courtesy forum member Enceos (many thanks for taking the time to put these together), and a new background handler option for monitor pages that'll allow IVA makers to do things like this:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/905/UO79Ts.png

(no, the current MFD doesn't use this yet. This is an MFD I'm working on to test out these features)

Beautiful, now we get even closer to what they had in Shuttle.

frontc1.jpg

@MOARdv Does anyone except for Alexustas make MFDs? The configs are a jungle for many people and it's easy to get lost. The default MFDs haven't had a significant change since Mihara made them. I'm still hoping someone would implement all these cool features you have added over past months.

Edited by Enceos

@MOARdv Does anyone except for Alexustas make MFDs? The configs are a jungle for many people and it's easy to get lost. The default MFDs haven't had a significant change since Mihara made them. I'm still hoping someone would implement all these cool features you have added over past months.

Given what he wrote here, I would be surprised if Alexustas does not include some of these GREAT NEW FEATURES in his ALCOR props. Perhaps some will make their way into std RPM MFD's. Your work is showing a LOT OF PROMISE TOO. Keep it up! Your contributions are greatly appreciated.

Just a curious question, is there any specific reason RasterProp isn't using .dds images? It would save a good chunk of memory (I'd be happy convert them if you need them). :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Just a curious question, is there any specific reason RasterProp isn't using .dds images? It would save a good chunk of memory (I'd be happy convert them if you need them). :)

I'm curious how big that chunk would be? :D

RPM needs careful mipmap generation for .dds, with Mitchell filtering and sometimes soft sharpening. You won't save much memory unless you manually select between DXT1/DXT3/DXT5 compressions, RGB/RGBA depending on what each image contains.

I made some DDS files for RPM already, they're 2 pages back, I hope MOARdV includes them with the release.

The mipmaps I made for these .dds will remove the pixelation of props:

5U1p7ix.png

I have not been able to smooth out the pixelation of fonts. RPM seems to be hardcoded to use only the orignal image layer on it's screens and doesn't use mipmaps.

The Squad's speed font on LCD uses mipmaps, that's why you don't see it pixelate when zooming out.

@MOARdV I see you fixed this issue:

• Can no longer EVA when the Astronaut Complex is level 1. Issue #183.

There's another similar RPM issue. Tourists can go EVA using props, a feature which breaks the purpose of USI Life Support mod.

Edited by Enceos

I have a bug that seems to have appeared when I installed RPM (may or may not be related to RPM). The IVA appears outside the vessel. Anyone have any info about this bug and how to fix it. http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/37497482124955885/D6308AA4099A3CD0AED3C944F67DB329A696E2F7/

i have it too is started overheat and is crashed my game

I'm curious how big that chunk would be? :D

RPM needs careful mipmap generation for .dds, with Mitchell filtering and sometimes soft sharpening. You won't save much memory unless you manually select between DXT1/DXT3/DXT5 compressions, RGB/RGBA depending on what each image contains.

I made some DDS files for RPM already, they're 2 pages back, I hope MOARdV includes them with the release.

The mipmaps I made for these .dds will remove the pixelation of props:

http://i.imgur.com/5U1p7ix.png

I have not been able to smooth out the pixelation of fonts. RPM seems to be hardcoded to use only the orignal image layer on it's screens and doesn't use mipmaps.

The Squad's speed font on LCD uses mipmaps, that's why you don't see it pixelate when zooming out.

• Can no longer EVA when the Astronaut Complex is level 1. Issue #183.

There's another similar RPM issue. Tourists can go EVA using props, a feature which breaks the purpose of USI Life Support mod.

Oh haha. I optimized them myself just now. :P mipmaps and DTX5 too :P.

I have a bug that seems to have appeared when I installed RPM (may or may not be related to RPM). The IVA appears outside the vessel. Anyone have any info about this bug and how to fix it. http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/37497482124955885/D6308AA4099A3CD0AED3C944F67DB329A696E2F7/

I was having this about 6 months ago. I and figured out that it was caused by a certian combination of to mods. One of them wasn't very important to me so when I got rid of it, I haven't had the "external iva problem" since. Sorry I cannot remember the specific combination, but if you list all your mods, it might jog my memory.

(Sorry for a messy reply - I am traveling the next couple of days, and I am fumbling with a tablet instead of my normal computer)

I wanted to try out the DDS files before I committed them to make sure they looked okay and they had mipmaps generated. They do and they did, so I'll get those up end of this week when I am back home.

I don't know what's special about tourists that allows them to go EVA. I guess I need to do some research when I get back home.

As for screens - don't bother trying to DDS-ify the fonts and stuff - the way RPM works is it draws to a render texture which is used as a replacement for a texture on the prop (which is why the props have a small emissive texture or something like that). I tried setting the flags on the rentex to generate and use mipmaps, and it looked like it worked for DX, but OGL mode didn't - the screens were all blank. I may have to jump through extra hoops for the OGL path (assuming I can identify which renderer is in use), unless someone knows the secret Unity handshake to get rentex mipmap generation to work in the OGL case.

I have one more very small request.

got a need in variable containing the difference between the current height and the height of the top edge of the atmosphere:

... = ORBITBODYATMOSPHERETOP -ALTITUDE