[1.0.4][Kopernicus]KerbolPlus v.2.3.9 - a planet pack that ads the legendary Gas Planet 2 and more.

amarius1

What should we add in future updates? (besides EVE, science and resources intergration)  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What should we add in future updates? (besides EVE, science and resources intergration)

• I want more planets/moons.
    • I want the existent content improved.
    • I want more optimisations.

Once you've installed Kerbol Plus, dig through your GameData folder before you start KSP. If there's no 'Kopernicus' folder, download and intstall Kopernicus.

You see, sometimes Kopernicus mods come bundled with Kopernicus itself, and sometimes they don't.

The current release of KerbolPlus is incompatible with the current release of Kopernicus, but KerbolPlus comes bundled with an old version of Kopernicus it does work with.

How do you make the grey normal maps?

That is easy to explain, though much harder to do. You'll need Photoshop and Nvidia's normal map plugin. Import your normal map in Photoshop then export it as DXT5_nm. There also seems to be a way to do it with GIMP, I'm currently trying GIMP so I'll let you know if it works.

That is easy to explain, though much harder to do. You'll need Photoshop and Nvidia's normal map plugin. Import your normal map in Photoshop then export it as DXT5_nm. There also seems to be a way to do it with GIMP, I'm currently trying GIMP so I'll let you know if it works.

Well, all I've been using is GIMP so here's what I do to do greyscale: open the image. On the bar on top, you should see, trough more options, an "image" tab. Click on it and it will show you some mkre options in a drop-down. Click on the greyscale option that appears the second after the RGB option in the dropdown oppened by clicking on the "image" button. Cheers! Next, if in a later session you paste an image and its grey, go to the same "image" button and select RGB to re-color it. Remember that the "image" button is on the top of the page.

Well, all I've been using is GIMP so here's what I do to do greyscale: open the image. On the bar on top, you should see, trough more options, an "image" tab. Click on it and it will show you some mkre options in a drop-down. Click on the greyscale option that appears the second after the RGB option in the dropdown oppened by clicking on the "image" button. Cheers! Next, if in a later session you paste an image and its grey, go to the same "image" button and select RGB to re-color it. Remember that the "image" button is on the top of the page.

I knew that I could grayscale an image with GIMP, but I used the normal map of Tekto from the Outer Planets Mod as example, and that map is semi-transparent, which isn't something I've been able to replicate with GIMP. Well, I 'sort of' replicated it, but Kopernicus doesn't like it. I'll follow the example of K+ and try to make a normal map that is only grayscaled, and I'll see what happens.

I knew that I could grayscale an image with GIMP, but I used the normal map of Tekto from the Outer Planets Mod as example, and that map is semi-transparent, which isn't something I've been able to replicate with GIMP. Well, I 'sort of' replicated it, but Kopernicus doesn't like it. I'll follow the example of K+ and try to make a normal map that is only grayscaled, and I'll see what happens.

Well, actualy, greysscale is just for reduced memory consumption.. Use this: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ to create normal maps and next to the Download button, there are opacity options. set it to 50% and donload. now turn that to greyscale and Kopernicus will ertainly like it!

Well, actualy, greysscale is just for reduced memory consumption.. Use this: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ to create normal maps and next to the Download button, there are opacity options. set it to 50% and donload. now turn that to greyscale and Kopernicus will ertainly like it!

Well, I make my planets a bit diffrently. You see, I make a 3D model of my planet/moon in the greatest detail my computer can handle, then export the color, height and normal map as 4096/2048 pixels .PNG images.

My maps worked just fine, the only problem was an annoying bug: the lighting on the scaledspace model was messed up. I managed to fix it this morning by only using GIMP. You see, I managed to find a plugin for GIMP that allowed me to export images as DXT5_nm, like Nvidia's plugin for Photoshop.

All I did was open my normal map in GIMP, then export it as DXT5_nm. This gave it a funky pink color, and apparantly Kopernicus loves pink, because it worked! I even managed to land on the planet I created, however, I'd placed it closer to Kerbol than Moho, so parts sometimes overheated on their own, but I managed to land nevertheless.

And, something about Manai: I don't know if it's got it's ScienceDefs yet, but I think I've come up with a rather 'Kerballish' EVA report for Manai: "It's certainly hot here. You write down a reminder to take marshmellows with you next time.". And a crew report: "The crew tells mission control that they've found the excellent place for a barbecue. Heat included."

- - - Updated - - -

'ay here's Manay remade and the canyon moon, Levos!

http://imgur.com/a/WxBoF

Oh my Kerbal! Those moons look amazing!

Well, I make my planets a bit diffrently. You see, I make a 3D model of my planet/moon in the greatest detail my computer can handle, then export the color, height and normal map as 4096/2048 pixels .PNG images.

My maps worked just fine, the only problem was an annoying bug: the lighting on the scaledspace model was messed up. I managed to fix it this morning by only using GIMP. You see, I managed to find a plugin for GIMP that allowed me to export images as DXT5_nm, like Nvidia's plugin for Photoshop.

All I did was open my normal map in GIMP, then export it as DXT5_nm. This gave it a funky pink color, and apparantly Kopernicus loves pink, because it worked! I even managed to land on the planet I created, however, I'd placed it closer to Kerbol than Moho, so parts sometimes overheated on their own, but I managed to land nevertheless.

And, something about Manai: I don't know if it's got it's ScienceDefs yet, but I think I've come up with a rather 'Kerballish' EVA report for Manai: "It's certainly hot here. You write down a reminder to take marshmellows with you next time.". And a crew report: "The crew tells mission control that they've found the excellent place for a barbecue. Heat included."

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my Kerbal! Those moons look amazing!

Awesome! Thank you! THe moons have already gone trough many art passes and I'm running right now the next version of Levos terrain.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some changes!

http://imgur.com/a/sTYNb#0

Edited by amarius1

An easter egg, I see? :D

Also, do the planet and moons have science descriptions yet?

Well, they should generate science normaly and have blank/default description but no biome-specific things for now, since Olympic1 is working on that part of the update. We will merge branches when I finish the moons and finish tweaking and testing and fixing and updating and tweaking the rest of the current planet. Cheers! Also, I reealy need to improve existing planets because there already is a new GP2 unreleased mod, that looks many times better that this.

New things on checklist: Make Sarvin's rings HD and more complex and beautiful; make custom HD terrain textures (now Daphy will have smooth fluff and ice terrain textures; make all planet look better overaly, tweak orbits so they look appropiately to original GP2, remake some of the existing dwarf planets to be less boring; make texture packs for multiple performances: Low-1024x512, Medium-2048x4096, Hight-4096x2048. Groundscatter everywhere. Finish the farms on Kerbin [i still have to finish The textures cuz right now the farms appear pich black and they are too big (as big as the VAB)]

Edited by amarius1

Well, they should generate science normaly and have blank/default description but no biome-specific things for now, since Olympic1 is working on that part of the update. We will merge branches when I finish the moons and finish tweaking and testing and fixing and updating and tweaking the rest of the current planet. Cheers! Also, I reealy need to improve existing planets because there already is a new GP2 unreleased mod, that looks many times better that this.

New things on checklist: Make Sarvin's rings HD and more complex and beautiful; make custom HD terrain textures (now Daphy will have smooth fluff and ice terrain textures; make all planet look better overaly, tweak orbits so they look appropiately to original GP2, remake some of the existing dwarf planets to be less boring; make texture packs for multiple performances: Low-1024x512, Medium-2048x4096, Hight-4096x2048. Groundscatter everywhere. Finish the farms on Kerbin [i still have to finish The textures cuz right now the farms appear pich black and they are too big (as big as the VAB)]

Farms as big as the VAB, you say? Well, we are talking about a planet diffrent from our own, who knows how big the animals are? Perhaps on Kerbin the cows (known there as 'Kow') are as big as a building? Or do Kerbals farm rocket parts or something? That would explain why there is a seemingly endless supply of parts. :sticktongue:

Farms as big as the VAB, you say? Well, we are talking about a planet diffrent from our own, who knows how big the animals are? Perhaps on Kerbin the cows (known there as 'Kow') are as big as a building? Or do Kerbals farm rocket parts or something? That would explain why there is a seemingly endless supply of parts. :sticktongue:

Eh I gotta complain to the other part of the comunity, the grumpy one whk would say *THIS PLANET IS RIDICULOUS, TO MANY COLORS! I DON'T WANT IT! OPM IS BETTER! THOSE FARMS ARE COOL, BUT AREN'T REALISTIC! OH THE LAVA TEXTURES! WHY CAN'T THIS SICKER MAKE THEM TILE LIKE IN OPM?*

Welp, that was the scope... trying to kake the dwarf planets more interesting but I don't have any ideas... we already have 2 dwarf planets rotating around a barycenter.

Ideas? I'm pretty good at brainstorming, let's see...

Perhaps a heavily clouded desert planet with high black mountains?

Ideas? I'm pretty good at brainstorming, let's see...

Perhaps a heavily clouded desert planet with high black mountains?

Maybe... now lets see how do we make clouds without EVE... for this I may be waiting for Kopernicus Expansion to release the planetary clouds update...

Maybe... now lets see how do we make clouds without EVE... for this I may be waiting for Kopernicus Expansion to release the planetary clouds update...

I can make High, Medium and Low-res E.V.E clouds in the meantime if you'd like.

Hold on, Kopernicus will eventually include clouds? I hope those clouds' effects aren't neutralized by rings like E.V.E clouds do.

I can make High, Medium and Low-res E.V.E clouds in the meantime if you'd like.

Hold on, Kopernicus will eventually include clouds? I hope those clouds' effects aren't neutralized by rings like E.V.E clouds do.

Naw naw, I was talking about the Kopernicus Expansion add-on. The creator, also a firend of mine, said that he has planetary clouds and under-ice-sheet oceans, on his list!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and with a tiny bit of luck here's some more things in the next version:

Subterranian ocean under Daphy's surface, accesible trough crevasses.

A new moon around keelong, apparently booring, but trough a north-pole hole, gives access to a molten core.

Also, if I get enough experience, we may alsl get small Krackens in Daphy's oceans, with specific AI. They will want to follw your submarines... >:)

Edited by amarius1

Naw naw, I was talking about the Kopernicus Expansion add-on. The creator, also a firend of mine, said that he has planetary clouds and under-ice-sheet oceans, on his list!

- - - Updated - - -

A new moon around keelong, apparently booring, but trough a north-pole hole, gives access to a molten core.

Also, if I get enough experience, we may alsl get small Krackens in Daphy's oceans, with specific AI. They will want to follw your submarines... >:)

Holy.....mother of........

HOW?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

*CRITICAL ERROR*

*System 'The White Guardian' has stopped working. Reason: awesomeness overload. Rebooting...*

Hey, I tried your mod, and first off: Great work! Lots and lots of new places to visit, with a nice amount of variety. I have, however, encountered 2 bugs that make the planet pack rather unusable:

1. All atmospheres lack a pressure curve, and are thus sea level density, even high up. E.a. I entered Pergas' atmosphere with a spaceplane, and as soon as I entered, the pressure-bar on top of the screen rose to sea-level and my plane collided into the thick air and burned up. Tried the same with other atmospheric planets and moons and the exact same happens, no atmosphere curves.

2. I used HyperEdit to orbit another spaceplane around Pergas and safely de-orbit, and landed it in one of the craters. The plane interacted with the ground correctly, but when sending a kerbal on EVA, it acted as if there was no ground and stayed in the 'falling' position, despite laying there still on the ground. Doing a EVA report revealed that the game seemed to think the kerbal (and the plane) were flying, while they had in fact landed and were standing still.

Just a head's up I guess, I haven't heard from anyone with this problem yet. I'd love to play with your mod, but the atmosphere-thing breaks it for me unfortunately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.