"There is nothing concerning about this vessel"

SpacedCowboy

Yeah it doesnt seem to understand what i'm trying to achieve half the time. There are a couple of warnings that are genuinely useful. I've been playing a long time, something in the order of 2500 hours and I just dont forget most of this stuff anymore. Like others above me however, removing RCS from the pods was never my strongpoint. Hatch blocking warnings are....odd. Im still firmly ingrained into the habit of putting nothing anywhere near the hatch, time was even an antenna stuck on the door blocked it opening. Nowadays you can get away with that, but I just dont feel inclined to push it and find out at what point it becomes 'blocked' under the new logic. So business as usual.

I try to ignore it most of the time and only briefly scan it right before I hit launch. I still wish the ER had been implemented as more of a bare-bones KER, or that we had gotten that mod rolled into an engineer experience tier or something. Still never really played a true vanilla install, because while I can do all the required math, I dont see the point when someone has scripted it for me.

When I saw the "There is nothing concerning about this vessel" for the first time I stared at it for a moment, then looked at my ship and laughed for a while...

The engineers report has pointed out some mistakes a couple of times.

Meh. Lights are a resource hog, so I hardly ever use them except for planes (they're a useful indicator for how close you are to the ground, which is important when you don't have ground scatter enabled). I just make sure to land on the day side.

If I've nothing else to hand, I tend to use the wee batteries to help align when docking in the dark. Otherwise I use glowstrips. For vertical landings I tend to use a pair of spotlights; unless whatever I'm landing has aircraft undercart (am still playing 0.9 here, as PC cant quite handle 1.0), as the light from aircraft undercart works well for landings too.

The ER is useless. It ALWAYS shows alerts. Like, "you have monopropellant but not RCS thrusters" - that monopropellant is in any manned pod even if I don't need it. "You have batteries but not chargers for them" - I didn't unlock any solar panels yet. "The command module is placed upside down" - lolwut? It's always yellow, I never pay attention to it.

And then my first Eve probe approaches it's destination and SUDDENLY appears to be antennaless. Thank you little ER boy, for crying wolf when it actually was a wolf, too. Unfortunately now I don't just dislike you, I HATE you. Please die painfully, thank you in advance.

The ER is useless. It ALWAYS shows alerts. Like, "you have monopropellant but not RCS thrusters" - that monopropellant is in any manned pod even if I don't need it.

It's actually a very helpful hint. If you'll remove it from all these parts that got it - you'll save some weight. Sometimes it's just several kilograms, sometimes it might add to a tonne or two.

"You have batteries but not chargers for them" - I didn't unlock any solar panels yet.

Doesn't mean that you need to have solar panels unlocked... you just have to remember about power management, for example - firing off engines now and then when in space to charge up batteries.

"The command module is placed upside down" - lolwut?

upside down = inverted controls = mess. Though obviously sometimes you might want that in your design.

And then my first Eve probe approaches it's destination and SUDDENLY appears to be antennaless. Thank you little ER boy, for crying wolf when it actually was a wolf, too. Unfortunately now I don't just dislike you, I HATE you. Please die painfully, thank you in advance.

lol :D

Or the reverse challenge. Build one with the most amount of issues that still works ;)

Yea... that's what I was expecting when I opened this thread.

I find it useful,

" 'You have batteries but not chargers for them' - I didn't unlock any solar panels yet." - a Fringe case, after you have Ox-stats... its certainly something you'd want ot be reminded of. As already pointed out, its at least a warning to be careful with power consumption

" 'you have monopropellant but not RCS thrusters' - that monopropellant is in any manned pod even if I don't need it. "

-So its a useful reminder for you to remove it. In general its usefull to see if you're carrying dead weight.

My biggest annoyances:

-Docking port used as a decoupler.... yea... i know... I just need to train myself to see this and remember to disable fuel feed, I hate when I decouple a craft... and then find its dead in the water because it was at the top and all the fuel drained out of it long ago...

- RCS consumers and limited stores.... uhh.... thanks, but those 15 units in the lander can are more than enough for me to dock, the fuel depot I'll be docking with can replace whatever i use.

or....

I just added 2 RCS blocks so I can make use of the "free" RCS fuel tank (although, now that they aren't massless, I need to start considering that... but I think it's still a net gain)

One thing I think it could use: a warning that TWR is less than 1.0 when the launch clamps disengage.

I usually forget to check the Engineer Report before taking my craft out for the first test launch. It seems like half the time when there's a problem, it's usually some knuckleheaded noob mistake that I would've caught had I checked the report. When I do have the sense to check the report, it's usually because I also had the sense to build a rocket right this time. Sigh.

*ahem* delta v reading *ahem*

Amen, brother. That's the other half. It feels like I always underbuild my rockets.

It's only missing one thing...

*ahem* delta v reading *ahem*

In the run-up to 1.0, and given certain comments by Squad, I wondered if we might see messages like "This rocket should be able to achieve orbit" or "This rocket should be able to reach Mun if flown well". "This rockets battery will last 12 hours depending on SAS usage", maybe. "This rocket doesn't have enough thrust to get off the pad"?

I appreciate being reminded that my parachute is going to open upon ignition though! I've been playing for years and still do this all the time...

My only problem is that now instead of forgetting to fix all the problems with staging, that before Kerbals have ever invented RCS thrusters they feel the need to include their fuel in all command pods, and disabling crossfeed on docking ports, I forget to check the report before launching and have all these problems anyway.

Honestly I'd like to be able to tag certain alerts as critical so I actually get a popup on every launch. I don't want it forced on me, but I'd sure appreciate the choice.

It's actually a very helpful hint. If you'll remove it from all these parts that got it - you'll save some weight. Sometimes it's just several kilograms, sometimes it might add to a tonne or two.

Hmmm... maybe. Never had (edit: never noticed) a problem with it before.

Doesn't mean that you need to have solar panels unlocked... you just have to remember about power management, for example - firing off engines now and then when in space to charge up batteries.

I just want to be able to say to this little piece of UI: I know, I know, now shut up.

upside down = inverted controls = mess. Though obviously sometimes you might want that in your design.

The problem is, this particular pod definitely wasn't upside down.

And yes, sometimes I use multi-core designs in which some probe cores are placed upside down. It just takes some additional attention to make sure the ship is always controlled from the proper core.

lol :D

:( It's good to be you, kind sir. It's always good to be someone other than poor and silly me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.