Am I the only one who sees Jebediah and Valentina as rivals rather than a pair?

I play them as rivals. Kinda like Chuck Yeager and Scott Crossfield. Jeb breaks through the atmosphere, Val achieves orbit. Val flys by the Mun, Jeb lands first, Val lands on Minmus first. It will culminate with a joint mission to Duna.

I play them as rivals. Kinda like Chuck Yeager and Scott Crossfield. Jeb breaks through the atmosphere, Val achieves orbit. Val flys by the Mun, Jeb lands first, Val lands on Minmus first. It will culminate with a joint mission to Duna.

Me too. Jeb orbits the Mun first, so Val one-ups him and lands. So Jeb lands at Minmus first. So Val does the "ultimate 3" contract and lands at both Minmus and Mun on the same trip. Etc.

Friendly rivals for sure: higher, faster ... :)

That's kinda similar to how I see it, at least with the Jeb being old enough to have an adult niece part. He's just been around so long he's gotta be in his 40s, at least, while Val is in her mid 20s. So she's up and coming, and he's getting ready to retire

Since TextureReplacer received a kerbal head package that stuck with the community I would have to confess , that Jeb, Bill and Bob have aged quite a bit in my imagination.

To say it with the words of Raj Koothrappali: "I thought it was a bonding moment."

In my career Val has had to save Jeb's ass on three seperate occasions, so I'm very glad she's there.

The first time he got stuck on the Mun with not enough fuel to get back so Val had to mount a rescue mission.

The second time his rocket broke down on Minmus.

The third time he snuck on board an unmanned station that was destined for an eternal solar orbit, so we had to get Jeb off before it left Kerbin orbit.

I'm starting to think Jeb might be trying to get away from her. Overly Attached Val?

In my career Val has had to save Jeb's ass on three seperate occasions, so I'm very glad she's there.

The first time he got stuck on the Mun with not enough fuel to get back so Val had to mount a rescue mission.

The second time his rocket broke down on Minmus.

The third time he snuck on board an unmanned station that was destined for an eternal solar orbit, so we had to get Jeb off before it left Kerbin orbit.

I'm starting to think Jeb might be trying to get away from her. Overly Attached Val?

that third time is a frequent nightmare for me. I normally don't notice until I have warped out to the edge of the SOI :D

Rivals? Pair?

Neither. They're both just pilots in this space agency.

I don't attach any specific meaning to any of them. I'm probably going to start firing the lot of 'em and starting with three random pilots.

I see Val and Jeb as friendly rivals, who get along well but are constantly trying to one-up the other. I don't see this happening in a non-professional way, since they're astronauts. They're just both bad-ass pilots in the same program and that comes with a healthy dose of ego and competitiveness. I don't imagine they're romantically connected.

First thing I did was edit my savefile so Val is first in the pecking order and Jeb is fourth. He got bumped down a notch, but is now the leader of the second-string crew. Lucky for him though, Val, Bob, and Bill are currently on a long trip to Minmus, so Jeb is wrackin' up flight time.

I dunno, I kinda feel like there's some kind of competition between them. If it wasn't anything serious, Jeb would still probably take it more serious than Vall. In my current career, they're at equal level, though Jeb has been to the Mun. Now to see if Vall will get ahead of Jeb and get to Minmus before him.

If there was anything romance related here, I would say that Bob, the science nerd, would have a crush on Vall, and that Bill and Jeb would keep pressuring him to ask her out or something. :P

Jeb and valentina are not rivals : they are both useless. Bob is the real star : first in orbit, first on minmus, first on the mun, only kerbal to have landed on duna & ike.

I think pilots are useless : all my manned ships also have a probe providing SAS.

I can see Jeb planting a flag on Duna at the same time saying "Sorry, what was that?"

Meanwhile probes on the joolian system:

01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101011 01101110 01101111 01110111 00100000 01101001 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100110 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00111111

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.