Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

I'll look into making a PDF file, What should I put in there?? I'll put in how to use the IVA and launch profiles and stuff, what else?

Current list:

• Shuttle specs (delta V payload weight ect)
  • IVA controls
  • Launch procedures
  • Docking procedures
  • Reenty and deorbit procedures
  • Landing procedures
  • Possibly building if a prebuilt shuttle is not included
  • Tips FAQ ect

Well, she launchs ok. wants to roll and pitch a lot. So i used mech jeb and that helps, but still pitches and rolls some.

One thing I noticed, when in orbit and using RCS. The shuttle rolls, pitches and yaws extremely fast. Even with caps lock enables.

On rentry, as soon as i touched the atmosphere, the shuttle started to gain altitude and would not lose speed. I ended up over shooting KSP and going past it by to continents. Once I was able to slow her down, and went through the reentry heat barrier, the shuttle only wanted to pitch down until it was at -90 deg pitch and I couldn't recover.

All in all, minor things that can be fixed.

Anyone else have these issues?

Yea aero is way off again

Thanks for the heads up. It was way worse in todays first upload. Im suprised it flies at all haha.

It was a guess at wing volume, span and length for the firespitter configs

Can you try lower the rcs power to a hood level for me please and let me know what it is.

Did you get the second upload of today?

Adding a reaction wheel in the cargo bay helped a bit with orbital control im maybe the reaction control in the engine mount is off. It sure does love to roll over a lot. I am however loving the SRB sep its definitely a step in the right direction. It no longer "ejects" it up in the air and flips around. Other than than the areo issue with this separation abort to orbit is a lot safer.

Yes i got it.

Hit f12 when your flying and observe the forces if needed

- - - Updated - - -

I should also point out that the com on the boosters has been raised 11m to help with seperation. This could put off the shuttle ascent again

- - - Updated - - -

I should also point out that the com on the boosters has been raised 11m to help with seperation. This could put off the shuttle ascent again

Oh and the boosters gain thrust during flight. I think it should be the other way around.

Is it a constant gain all the way up or does it go up and down... I modified the cfg alot so I guess I did something wrong...

- - - Updated - - -

Adding a reaction wheel in the cargo bay helped a bit with orbital control im maybe the reaction control in the engine mount is off. It sure does love to roll over a lot. I am however loving the SRB sep its definitely a step in the right direction. It no longer "ejects" it up in the air and flips around. Other than than the areo issue with this separation abort to orbit is a lot safer.

Firespitter code is interesting. It has a single point of lift and the lifting calculations are centred atound that. I think. Wich may mean lift is in the wrong place... I rushed it literally minutes before I had to go to work

- - - Updated - - -

Have you testers figured out the pary variant switching thing yet? I didnt explain it sorry. Right click on parts in vab

Good news with the srb's. Maccollo the developer of them has allowed the use if his awesome booster. Not only that but has even redesigned a custom booster just for this shuttle. And to top it off he is willing do help with the development of the css! With some good ideas in mind too. Welcome to the team!

Good news with the srb's. Maccollo the developer of them has allowed the use if his awesome booster. Not only that but has even redesigned a custom booster just for this shuttle. And to top it off he is willing do help with the development of the css! With some good ideas in mind too. Welcome to the team!

This is how the development of this shuttle should be. Its great to see everyone working together. The Space Shuttle was one of the most important aspects of the space program. Im glad everyone working on this.

Crazy how its case sensitive.

- - - Updated - - -

One side of the airbrake dont work.

- - - Updated - - -

The aero needs put back like it was before this update. Is there a reason you changed it?

- - - Updated - - -

There is something wrong with the control surfaces on the wings. They are not working independently.

Crazy how its case sensitive.

- - - Updated - - -

One side of the airbrake dont work.

- - - Updated - - -

The aero needs put back like it was before this update. Is there a reason you changed it?

It was changed mainly to have one piece wings and tailfin (I couldnt make the cfg with stock and accomidate control surfaces and airbrake also.. And to work on it for better aerodynamics from firespitter which seems to go well with FAR. It is placeholder atm and I will do the calculations tonight.

And yeah I know the airbrake is fynny. I havent finished it yet. I just wanted to release it anyway.. I did get both working somehow with action group but will fix.

Edited by Mike-NZ

Welp, I've run it through some tests and thus far the aero is the biggest issue. Seems to me like the figures are reversed.

Reason I say is because the orbiter itself flies semi-reasonably if I fly it belly up. It'll stay straight but its hard to get it to pitch. I pulled up the COM/COL orbs in the VAB and the SPH and its listing the COL as being ahead of the COM.

With the Boosters and ET attached, it does nothing but roll and pitch down. Likely due to the COL/COM being problematic. As powerful as the wings are (even when aero was correct I did have to turn the CS' until I was ready for reentry), its likely that this relationship is screwing up launch just as much as its screwing up in-atmosphere flight.

Had to cheat it into orbit because I just couldn't power through the aero mess. Works fine in orbit, though roll using RCS only is SUPER weak. And not only is that an issue for on-orbit activity, its an issue for reentry as well. While torque does take care of the job, its more realistic to use RCS only to control the orbiters movement in space. Seeing as this is a replica, the orbiter should be able to turn off SAS and still be capable of roll.

On that topic, the RCS is slightly unbalanced between the front and back. Up and down translation causes the orbiter to pitch up and down a bit, which indicates one of the thruster sets isn't set to the same strength as the other one and/or that they aren't properly spaced compared to the COM.

Also, I have no idea what did it or what conflict caused it, but my first loading it actually broke my test save completely with the "VesselName" bug. I went to a full stock + CSS install and everythings working fine now. But I should report it because my mod install was very stable until I introduced CSS. Again, no idea what caused it.

Welp' date=' I've run it through some tests and thus far the aero is the biggest issue. Seems to me like the figures are reversed.

Reason I say is because the orbiter itself flies semi-reasonably if I fly it belly up. It'll stay straight but its hard to get it to pitch. I pulled up the COM/COL orbs in the VAB and the SPH and its listing the COL as being ahead of the COM.

With the Boosters and ET attached, it does nothing but roll and pitch down. Likely due to the COL/COM being problematic. As powerful as the wings are (even when aero was correct I did have to turn the CS' until I was ready for reentry), its likely that this relationship is screwing up launch just as much as its screwing up in-atmosphere flight.

Had to cheat it into orbit because I just couldn't power through the aero mess. Works fine in orbit, though roll using RCS only is SUPER weak. And not only is that an issue for on-orbit activity, its an issue for reentry as well. While torque does take care of the job, its more realistic to use RCS only to control the orbiters movement in space. Seeing as this is a replica, the orbiter should be able to turn off SAS and still be capable of roll.

On that topic, the RCS is slightly unbalanced between the front and back. Up and down translation causes the orbiter to pitch up and down a bit, which indicates one of the thruster sets isn't set to the same strength as the other one and/or that they aren't properly spaced compared to the COM.

Also, I have no idea what did it or what conflict caused it, but my first loading it actually broke my test save completely with the "VesselName" bug. I went to a full stock + CSS install and everythings working fine now. But I should report it because my mod install was very stable until I introduced CSS. Again, no idea what caused it.[/quote']

Yeah sorry this is re new start for the more advanced aerodynamics. It will take more than the rush around gues work I put in so far... I will put aside work to focus on this.

Also did you keep your error log when it crashed? U would lime to see it if possible to find the fault

- - - Updated - - -

I rekon with fireapitter its easy to cheat the aero. I believe lift is generated wherever you place the node while editing. I could raise it up and forward maybe.... I will have a play

Well it didn't crash the game' date=' just left it completely bugged and unusable.[/quote']

Hmmm. Any extra infonwill be helpfull. Ksp log if available or how it bugged out