Boy Scouts of America - Compilation

Endersmens

On 12/10/2017 at 9:15 AM, Geonovast said:

I think as long as you complete everything before you turn 18, you're still eligible, correct?  Been so long, I don't remember how that worked.  I know my brother skirted the edge.

Everything except your board of review, assuming that there's no extenuating circumstances.

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, Dman979 said:

Everything except your board of review, assuming that there's no extenuating circumstances.

Buddy of mine, a year behind me, got diagnosed with a brain tumor just as he was starting the planning phase of his project.  He spent the next three years learning to talk and walk again.  He finished his project at the age of 20, and got his Eagle.    He finished college, and now runs a golf course.   Of course, he can't hit the ball worth a damn.  :) 

Just to check in, 25 yrs or so involved, I still get out to the local camp for workdays every now and then, I am part of an RC sailing club that sails there regularly and we are constantly working on the waterfront.   Got my Eagle in '94, Philmont 714s in '93 and about a week or so later, left for the Jamboree as QM of troop 332 from the NEO conference.  Did some adult work in my 20's, and I'd still be involved if I had kids.  When my nephew gets a bit older, I'll start back into it for him. 

Edited by Gargamel

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

692C3 '15. IWGB2P.

They apparently changed the crew nomenclature.   I have no idea what that means. 

Took a kite to the top of, and flew it off of the summit of Baldy. 

Edited by Gargamel

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

They apparently changed the crew nomenclature.   I have no idea what that means. 

My council was large enough to send like 9 crews at once. We were the third one in 2015.

Edited by Dman979
Damn! Got my years all mixed up! Twice!

I'm....actually getting close to Eagle.

I finished one merit badge (Personal Management), I have 1 req. left for Communications (That I'll be doing today), I have 1, 10 mile, and the 15/20 mile hikes for hiking (That we'll do before my birthday with time to spare), and I have 4 req. left for Emergency Prep.
I'm almost done with my project
I've nearly finished the last of the leadership role in my troop.

But I have 42 days to finish  :0.0:

34 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I'm....actually getting close to Eagle.

I finished one merit badge (Personal Management), I have 1 req. left for Communications (That I'll be doing today), I have 1, 10 mile, and the 15/20 mile hikes for hiking (That we'll do before my birthday with time to spare), and I have 4 req. left for Emergency Prep.
I'm almost done with my project
I've nearly finished the last of the leadership role in my troop.

But I have 42 days to finish  :0.0:

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished almost everything for my merit badges... I only have a couple things to do, then it'll be reviewing everything with my counselor before they sign everything.
I need to expand a bit and fix my project report (It's fine, and I have the signatures, just needs to be more specific here and there, and I need to re-arrange the hours).

So yeah... it's almost all done, I'm approaching the "Sign, everything!" phase, and then the Scoutmaster conference, and finally, board of review.

I'll keep you guys posted :)

Edited by Spaceception

On 4/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, Spaceception said:

So yeah... it's almost all done, I'm approaching the "Sign, everything!" phase, and then the Scoutmaster conference, and finally, board of review.

If you have the chance to do a mock BoR, do it. Very very helpful.

29 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

If you have the chance to do a mock BoR, do it. Very very helpful.

I've never heard of that.

I do remember looking at a list of questions that people on the BoR are likely to ask on my previous ranks, but not doing a mock-up.

Just now, Spaceception said:

I do remember looking at a list of questions that people on the BoR are likely to ask on my previous ranks, but not doing a mock-up.

What my troop does is get people to do a full walkthrough of the BoR. Sitting down, SM introduction, full battery of questions, etc. It's more stressful than the real one, and totally worth it if your SM can get one together.

Even if you can't get a full BoR together, treat it like you would a job interview for your dream job. Be Prepared!

12 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Even if you can't get a full BoR together, treat it like you would a job interview for your dream job. Be Prepared!

It's amazing the life skills that the scouts teach with out letting you know it's being taught. 

12 hours ago, Gargamel said:

It's amazing the life skills that the scouts teach with out letting you know it's being taught. 

That is very true. I had to keep so much paperwork in Scouts, and now that I'm living life, I obsessively save every receipt. :P

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, Spaceception said:

I was advised, for my Eagle BOR, that if they ask you why they should approve you, say that it's because you earned it. After all, you did earn it. Although BORs vary quite a bit from place to place...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Hey!! Nearly forgot to update you guys. I passed my board of review!! Paperwork is going through now. It wasn't nearly as stressful as I thought, and they liked my essay and everything.

Congratulations!