Fastest Runway To Island To Runway.

*Please be nit-picky here. If it's unclear, tell me*

Challenge: Build a single engined, single wing aircraft capable of getting to the island runway, taxiing to the second hangar, taking off from the first hangar and landing on the KSC runway the direction you started.

Size of the plane doesn't matter. Time and regulations do.

Here's The Catch: You cannot have horizontal wings apart from the main wing, and only up to 2 vertical fins, with or without a control surface, up to 2 degrees of rotation. The main wing can be made of as many wings as you want, but only up to 2 control surfaces.

Medals:

JebAlike - Under 1 minute and 30 seconds (Jeb difficulty) (if too hard with landing, fly through hangars)

Platinum - Under 5 minutes 30 seconds (very hard)

Gold - Under 7 minutes

Silver - Under 9 minutes

Bronze - Under 12 minutes

-BadS - Any of the ones above without wheel brakes and under 25 units of fuel.

-FlightATron - Fly through the hangars instead.

-Unique Design - A design that doesn't exactly look fit for the task it was built for :wink:

Epic design award - Awarded to those by popular vote who have an epic looking craft.

I have gotten my time down:

T+6:15 on the clock.

The HyperEdit button in the top right was there only because I was testing a mod I'm developing.

Top times so far:

Aphobius - 1:46 Platinum, FlightATron (parachute landing)

Nanobit - 1:52 Platinum, FlightATron (parachute landing)

Xannari Ferrows - 2:40 - Platinum, FlightATron (parachute landing)

klesh - 2:59 - Platinum, Unique Design

t3hJimmer - 3:34 - Platinum

Triop - 5:21 (Incorrect Landing) - Platinum

Avetho (Me) - 6:15 - Gold, BadS

Edited by Avetho
Times and Extra Medal

Ok why not, sounds fun.

PkLqtOL.png

aL4G5VA.png

5x7txmO.png

Did some runs T+/- 4 minutes, but before I go recording it...Is this plane legal ?

ACNQrnt.png

The 2 front wheels really helps steering !

Edit : LOL SINGLE ENGINE READ TRIOP READ ! ! ! ;P

Ow well, still could show off my cewl pinky plane.

Edited by Triop

The Catch: You cannot have rear elevators as in the flaps at the back or front of the craft, just one horizontal wing in the center, and up to 2 tailfins, with or without a control surface, up to 2/24ths rotation.

Can you clarify this?

Isnt an elevator and a tail fin with a control surface the same thing?

Also: lol @ that 10/10 landing :D

Edited by t3hJimmer

Triop that plane looks cool though :cool:

Edit: In fact, both planes look cool. Small and very fast :)

Edit 2: And there was one mistake. You didn't land the way you took off. In the video I showed off the approximate flight path, just with like 4 mistakes. Silly me.

Edited by Avetho

Nice run Trio, your first plane looks a lot cooler tho :cool:

I think you're supposed to land on the KSC runway from the other direction. Can you clarify Avetho? Also, I hate to be nit-picky, but are those tail planes okay? From the OP I was under the impression you couldn't have them angled like that, they were supposed to be mostly straight up and down.

Anyway, this is my submission:

Challenge Stats:

Time: 5:34

Aircraft Specs:

name: "I cant X-plane"

parts: 19

weight: 7.2 t

length: 9.8 m

wingspan: 9.9 m

http://pastebin.com/J9qfz0a9

t3hJimmer yeah the landing. Lol. Oh, and what I mean by no elavators is, well, you know most planes have 4 major horizontal wing surfaces, like the 2 large wings, and the small tail wings at the back? The ones at the back aren't allowed here. Something like a delta wing design works well here.

- - - Updated - - -

t3hJimmer oh yes, I was replying before 6 but my internet dropped until like 10 minutes ago. The back control surfaces I hate to say are illegal, but I'd say the vertical control surfaces are ok. My plane had them like that too.

Edit: And as well, that plane looks fast. Were you going for the Platinum here as well? I went for the basic turbojet for the BadS medal.

Edit 2: Saw the end, that landing was clutch right? I was like: "No, he's going for another pass? No, he's not, but he might not make it! Yess! He made it." Very close landing. About 50m from the end.

Edit 3: I have updated the challenge description. Thanks for being nit-picky. I wouldn't have clarified otherwise :confused:

Edited by Avetho

"Edit 2: And there was one mistake. You didn't land the way you took off. In the video I showed off the approximate flight path, just with like 4 mistakes. Silly me."

Lol, if I did a 180 roll and turn while landing my time would only have improved because of losing speed.

But I will try again ;P

Edited by Triop

This plane is kinda ugly, but its stupid fast. I was able to complete the challenge in 3:43 3:34. Hello Platinum :cool:

[apologies for the strange audio at the end, I had autoplay running on youtube]

Aircraft Specs:

name: "Puddle Jumper"

parts: 16

weight: 4.8 t

length: 6.5 m

wingspan: 4.5 m

http://pastebin.com/aPfhH68a

UPDATE:

Dropped the elevons completely and abused the power of reaction wheels. Got a complete lap in 3:34 :sticktongue:

Edited by t3hJimmer
updated with faster run

hehe....cewl. (but you did use breaks ;) ) That will be hard to beat....but I will try as soon as I have the time, maybe rapier engine ...

Congratz !

Ugly ?

It did the job and looked beautiful doing it.

Yeah that was weird, at first I thought it was you...

In the video @ 1:45 You bumbed and corrected in a strange way.....did you use mods ?

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I hope when you said that you took drag physics into account :rolleyes:

Pulling up (or down while upsidedown) fast while you storm in to the direction to the runway can slow you down fast if your craft is capable, so yes.

And now I have to prove my big mouth...

Edited by Triop

In the video @ 1:45 You bumbed and corrected in a strange way.....did you use mods ?

If you look close you can see I have 2 reaction wheels stacked at the back of the plane. They are strong enough to turn the plane even when its not rolling forward.

Cheap? Yes. Cheating, I don't think so. :wink:

Wanderfound I'm not limiting the wings to deltas, it was just a suggestion because they don't need the separate elevators at the back of the craft.

- - - Updated - - -

t3hJimmer yeah, it isn't cheating. It is still well within the regulations that have been set.

If you look close you can see I have 2 reaction wheels stacked at the back of the plane. They are strong enough to turn the plane even when its not rolling forward.

Cheap? Yes. Cheating, I don't think so. :wink:

Learning kerbal stuff everyday, thanks, I'm going to test me some reaction wheels (I'm a noob)...

When I have the time I will have another go, hope more people will compete.

That is quite true Aphobius. When you burn the plane by reentry heat below 5km, that is a truly fast speed. Jack would be proud. Also, Jeb loved it :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Wanderfound, I have updated the description stating that you can use as many wings for the main wing, but only 2 control surfaces for it. I hope that clarifies my original plans :)

• 2 weeks later...
This plane is kinda ugly, but its stupid fast. I was able to complete the challenge in 3:43 3:34. Hello Platinum :cool:

Aircraft Specs:

name: "Puddle Jumper"

parts: 16

weight: 4.8 t

length: 6.5 m

wingspan: 4.5 m

http://pastebin.com/aPfhH68a

UPDATE:

Dropped the elevons completely and abused the power of reaction wheels. Got a complete lap in 3:34 :sticktongue:

How did your control surfaces not brutally explode at 900 m/s because when my planes fly at those speeds in those altitudes the control surfaces explode/fall off

I just completed this on stream in 2:12, but i'm not sure if i managed to save the recording or not...

I decided to make an account just to post about this tbh.

EDIT 1:

Got one at 2:16, though my landing wasn't quite as good cause I hit it early..

Stream doesn't appear to be saving videos correctly, so i'll just record it like a normal person I guess.

EDIT 2:

Got 2:12 Successfully recorded.

Craft name: TurboJetTest Mk.2 (Not creative, I was testing designs and got excited with this one working and forgot to rename it, ahaha.)

You may notice it's a similar design to Aphobius's design, I didn't use that for design influence at all, it just sorta turned out that way. Probably because it's hard to improve it much further than that for this challenge. However I could have used ~50 less units of fuel (~150 Total), and probably could have flown much better. Wheels? We don't need those. Hopefully this still counts as landing in the same direction I took off from, since it is. Technically.

Ignore my talking, I did this on stream. c:

Mods Installed, but none that are illegal to use for this challenge.

Craft Specs:

iJNcW.png

Moderation note: video includes a bit of swearing. Do not click on it if that sort of thing offends you.

Max temp turns out to be 2389K (Did I cut that close enough?)

EDIT 3:

Apparently the videos I did first (from the same stream, but that I had trouble with before) ARE saving now, it's just taking a very long time for them to post.

They're at my channel (linked above under edit 2), under the videos tab if you want to watch my design process and failures.

At one point I DID have RCS on the craft, but they're not on the Mk.2 (The one i recorded and entered)

Edited by Vanamonde
Language.

That was very fast Nanobit, and we had our first speech in this thread :)

Although you didn't land the direction you took off, but rather turned that way on landing, that was an amazing run :D Marking down 2:12 right now.

And Xannari, that was cool to see, both of you didn't land to taxi around the hangars, but rather you both flew through them, a very hard thing to do, so I'm going to make a new secondary medal to go under the BadS one :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.