Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

@wasml I haven't checked your code, mainly because my c# knowledge is pretty limited

What I do know, is how to get a list of all the stars and their luminosity

I will pm you later when i get soe time with more info.

Would you be interested in releasing this plugin as an expansion to kopernicus? I think this could benefit more than just GN, so it might be better to have it standalone :wink:

@Sigma88 I have no problem releasing the code - consider it Public Domain. It is just a proof of principal and will have some bugs to work out - I've already found one. While the panels turn towards the local star and exposure is to the local star the panel considers itself blocked if a planet is between it and the galactic core. This should be solvable with a bit of geometry - but does need solved to prevent some unexpected loss of power surprises.

1 hour ago, wasml said:

@Sigma88 I have no problem releasing the code - consider it Public Domain. It is just a proof of principal and will have some bugs to work out - I've already found one. While the panels turn towards the local star and exposure is to the local star the panel considers itself blocked if a planet is between it and the galactic core. This should be solvable with a bit of geometry - but does need solved to prevent some unexpected loss of power surprises.

Right now I am a bit busy to start working on this, if you have time and, more importantly if you are interested in working on it, I will be happy to give you all the support you might need.

If you don't feel like wasting time on this (I would completely understand) I may take some time when I am less busy to see if I can come up with a solution that uses that code.

Either way, since GN is "all rights reserved" I would rather keeping your code in a separate dll to better aknowledge your contribution, and also because there are other mods that can use it other than GN.

I've been playing with it this morning and have found a simple solution to the "blocked from the galactic core" problem and think I have something for the SOI change problem. The two things I'm missing are the local star luminosity and temperature - oh - and some testers. I'll see if I can get something up on SpaceDock this weekend.

21 minutes ago, wasml said:

I've been playing with it this morning and have found a simple solution to the "blocked from the galactic core" problem and think I have something for the SOI change problem. The two things I'm missing are the local star luminosity and temperature - oh - and some testers. I'll see if I can get something up on SpaceDock this weekend.

to select the luminosity I would do something like this:

use a loader to "read" the Kopernicus node

for each body, check these:

• does the body have a Template with name = Sun?
  • does the body have a ScaledVersion/Light/givesOffLight = True

if yes, then store in a dictionary:  | name of the body | ScaledVersion/Light/Luminosity |

this will give you a dictionary filled with all the stars, and their luminosity

since in GN I need to set the Luminosity of all these stars to 0

you should probably require a new parameter (example: StarLuminosity) so that kopernicus doesn't misread that value

as for the "Active Star" kopernicus already has a way to determine which is the active star, so you might take it from kopernicus itself

@Thomas P. should know which parameter is used to identify the active star, I don't remember right now and I am in a bit of a hurry so I don't have the time to check :wink:

let me know how this procedes, if you want I can write the loader for you, the one that creates a dictionary with all the stars and their luminosity by reading the kopernicus configs

Hey everyone, so I have Galactic neighborhood, OPM and a couple of other planet packs installed. Does anyone know what to do if you want the OPM planets to appear in their original positions in the Kerbol system? When I delete the folder OPMsystem from planet packs / configs, the OPM planets are now in orbit around the galactic core and I can't do anything else since both Kerbol and the galactic core use the template name 'Sun' in the .cfg file. So can someone please halp? 

I'm fine where everything else is.

Edited by tychochallenge

8 hours ago, tychochallenge said:

Hey everyone, so I have Galactic neighborhood, OPM and a couple of other planet packs installed. Does anyone know what to do if you want the OPM planets to appear in their original positions in the Kerbol system? When I delete the folder OPMsystem from planet packs / configs, the OPM planets are now in orbit around the galactic core and I can't do anything else since both Kerbol and the galactic core use the template name 'Sun' in the .cfg file. So can someone please halp? 

You could delete the OPM patch and then change the referenceBody for Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, and Plock to be StockSun, because GN's calactic core IS the sun, so the in-game object called Sun is in fact a different body in the config.

8 hours ago, tychochallenge said:

Usually I apreciate any kind of question and feedback, but one of the main features of GN is that each planet packs gets its own star and the stock system is left untouched.

In the past I have answered similar questions but I feel like these questions are getting a bit too frequent, and since this is a development thread, I would like to limit the conversation to feedback on the mod as it's supposed to be experienced.

I believe you will understand this.

if you want to play on a modified GN I am fine with it, just understand that any feedback coming from a modified system would be completely useless for me and would not add anything to the conversation of this thread

I hope this didn't come out too harsh :D

cheers

Nah mate, I just wanted OPM around the stock sun since you get the 'feel' that the solar system is complete. I just didn't feel like scrolling through 30 pages to find a solution. 

Other than that, i've downloaded 5 other systems and they're all awesome around the new stars! 

As a suggestion, it'll be nice to see a couple of brown dwarf stars, perhaps relatively close to Kerbol and some neutron stars near the galactic center.

5 minutes ago, tychochallenge said:

As a suggestion, it'll be nice to see a couple of brown dwarf stars, perhaps relatively close to Kerbol and some neutron stars near the galactic center.

If I recall correctly there is only one brown dwarf and one red dwarf and in fact I usually try to convince modders to choose those, but ultimately I leave them the decision (unless it goes against some kind of GN rule)

regarding adding stuff next to the galactic core I usually avoid doing that on purpose. The galactic core is the most boring object in the mod by design, this is because I want to avoid people going there, the mod is about the Neighborhood rather than the Galaxy :wink:

I've posted a version of a fix for solar panels here. This is an alpha version and all the cautions apply - Don't use on a game you care about/don't want to lose. Put this on a new thread so as not to clog this one up with trouble reports and such.

32 minutes ago, wasml said:

I've posted a version of a fix for solar panels here. This is an alpha version and all the cautions apply - Don't use on a game you care about/don't want to lose. Put this on a new thread so as not to clog this one up with trouble reports and such.

awesome!

I'll check it out as soon as I get some time

A completely random thought regarding overheating in GN due to reparenting kerbin

What would happen if didn't reparent Kerbin?  Instead made Kerbin a dark body orbiting the core - I know you want the core to be boring, but then created a newKerbin that is parented to stockSun, with the Mun and Minimus reparted to newKerbin and the KSC moved the newKerbin?

I would try it out right now, but won't be able to until later tonight.

18 minutes ago, sentania said:

A completely random thought regarding overheating in GN due to reparenting kerbin

What would happen if didn't reparent Kerbin?  Instead made Kerbin a dark body orbiting the core - I know you want the core to be boring, but then created a newKerbin that is parented to stockSun, with the Mun and Minimus reparted to newKerbin and the KSC moved the newKerbin?

I would try it out right now, but won't be able to until later tonight.

you cannot move the KSC to a planet that's not called Kerbin :wink:

you can mask the planet to look like it has another name, but ultimately KSP recognises it as "Kerbin" anyways

Edited by Sigma88

I just installed this, and found the following:

SdPN6lk.png

There is exactly one asteroid orbiting Kerbin, and a bunch of them orbiting the galactic core. Is this intended, or did you know about it at all? It doesn't bother me, I never do anything with asteroids anyway, but I thought I'd let you know this happened.

28 minutes ago, ruiluth said:

I just installed this, and found the following:

SdPN6lk.png

There is exactly one asteroid orbiting Kerbin, and a bunch of them orbiting the galactic core. Is this intended, or did you know about it at all? It doesn't bother me, I never do anything with asteroids anyway, but I thought I'd let you know this happened.

I'm guessing you loaded an existing save.

If this is the case it is normal for crafts (and asteroids) that were orbiting the sun to be now orbiting the galactic core

this is the result of how KSP works, and there's nothing I can do about it, but:

1- new asteroids will spawn around the sun correctly

2- if you stop tracking old asteroids they will disappear after a little time

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm guessing you loaded an existing save.

If this is the case it is normal for crafts (and asteroids) that were orbiting the sun to be now orbiting the galactic core

this is the result of how KSP works, and there's nothing I can do about it, but:

1- new asteroids will spawn around the sun correctly

2- if you stop tracking old asteroids they will disappear after a little time

Thank you, you were right, that was exactly what happened.

Also, since I realized what was happening, I was able to use hyperedit to transfer all the ships I had in kerbolar orbit back into kerbolar orbit, so thanks for the tip! :) Now I don't have to restart my save and I can get to exploring these new worlds :D

16 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Is there a way to keep this from moving certain planets? I want to keep Saru in the Kerbol system but have a new star system elsewhere.

it's not an option built in GN and it will never be

but it should be simple to write a modulemanager patch to move the planet from his star to the stock sun

A generic approach ought to be a module manager patch that, for any body orbiting the Sun and not in a list of GN's stars, change that body to orbit StockSun. I don't know how to implement that but I believe MM is powerful enough to do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.