Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

35 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

It's not my place to judge the "aestetics" of a planet pack.

the requirements to get included in GN are:

1- the mod needs to be relatively finished (I don't want to go back and fix compatibility every time you add something)

2- the mod needs to work properly (I don't want to get bug reports because your mod doesn't work)

3- the mod needs to be relatively easy to add to GN, and it needs to fit in a sphere with a 2e12 meters radius (I usually exclude galaxy mods for this reason)

I leave opinions about aestetics to the players, if they don't like a pack they are free to not install it.

Okay.

The mod adds 1 brown dwarf with about 1/10 the mass of Kerbol/Sun called Serious, and it's not going to add any other stars. It currently has 3 planets.

The furthest planet is about 1/2 the Kerbin-Sun distance.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

@Sigma88 Question, can I use Sigma Dimention to scale up Galactic neighbourhood to increase distances between stars?

In that case you're probably better off writing a mm patch that changes sma (or inclination) of the stars only.

Should be pretty simple

(Pm me if you need a hand)

On 28-7-2016 at 2:11 PM, Sigma88 said:

In that case you're probably better off writing a mm patch that changes sma (or inclination) of the stars only.

Should be pretty simple

(Pm me if you need a hand)

Could you please make some configuration file which allow you to scale all Stars (excluding it's planets) thereby effectivly increase the distances between stars?

7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Could you please make some configuration file which allow you to scale all Stars (excluding it's planets) thereby effectivly increase the distances between stars?

you can use something like this:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body,*
	{
		@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Sun]]
		{
			@semimajorAxis *= 1
		}
	}
}

put whatever multiplier you want in place of the 1

3 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

you can use something like this:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body,*
	{
		@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Sun]]
		{
			@semimajorAxis *= 1
		}
	}
}

put whatever multiplier you want in place of the 1

Thank you , perhaps it's an idea to add this to SigmaDimentions as an advanced config setting

Edited by FreeThinker

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Thank you , perhaps it's an idea to add this to SigmaDimentions as an advanced config setting

you can already do this with the planet specific changes (but it would have the same effect of using the code I just wrote)

it would look something along the lines of 

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]
{
	@Body:HAS[@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Sun]]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale *= 1
		}
	}
}

but since Rescale is used for other stuff other than the SMA I would advise anyone who wants something like this to edit the SMA directly using :BEFORE[SigDim] rather than editing the Rescale parameter

there are just too many variables to keep into account when rescaling a system, SD is a great tool but it will always require a certain amount of customization if you want some non-uniform changes

Edited by Sigma88

On 5-8-2016 at 0:55 PM, Sigma88 said:

you can already do this with the planet specific changes (but it would have the same effect of using the code I just wrote)

it would look something along the lines of 

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]
{
	@Body:HAS[@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Sun]]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale *= 1
		}
	}
}

Yes I know, but if it becomes a config setting like Resize, it allows me and other mods use readout this variable to modify other variables in their game, like the speed of light on KSPI-E

Edited by FreeThinker

On 9-8-2016 at 5:53 PM, JsJa said:

One question, how can I edit distance between stars?

Lol, I just asked the same question in a few post above your question

@Sigma88 At least this signifies that I'm not the only one with the desire to have an easy way to configure the distance between stars. I'm my opinion this comes with the nature of this mod, not everyone wish  to have the same distance, some like it shorter, others like it longer

Edited by FreeThinker

People following my mods probably have noticed that I haven't been very active lately. This is because I am seriously burned out of modding KSP.

The whole process feels more like a chore than an hobby and it's definitely something not worth wasting my limited free time at the moment.

This is expecially true for GN, since it seems like I cannot get any kind of useful feedback about the mod, making the process of sharing it basically pointless.

This is why I have not been very active lately and won't be very active in the nearest future as well.

It is most likely a temporary phase, motivation will probably come back in some weeks or months. I have also arranged for other people to take over in the very unlikely scenario I decide to abandon the mods, so don't worry, nothing will be lost.

I will also keep reading the threads of my mods and reply to people, the only thing I won't do is add stuff to the mods themselves.

Have a nice summer everybody :wink:

probably the toughest part about GN feedback is that it's a very end-gamey thing for people to use since it involves a lot of advanced play and tech (KSPI is no easy feat to master in itself) so very few ppl actually use it much I would think. I do plan to eventually play with multiple star systems but I also admit I may never get to that point...

10 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

probably the toughest part about GN feedback is that it's a very end-gamey thing for people to use since it involves a lot of advanced play and tech (KSPI is no easy feat to master in itself) so very few ppl actually use it much I would think. I do plan to eventually play with multiple star systems but I also admit I may never get to that point...

GN was never intended to be played in career mode, It would require a lot of balancing and a lot of modding to make that a complete experience.

I went for a more friendly approach, that allows players who have already finished multiple career games to have some interstellar travel goals.

Also, KSPI is not required to play GN, you can choose any of the FTL mods out there, or even build a gigantic stock ship (if you are up for it)

Are the other stars meant to be visible in the sky from the Sun system? If not is that a known issue? Also, I imagine there isn't any way to have solar panels generate power from stars other than the stock Sun, given that it hasn't been done yet?

56 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

Are the other stars meant to be visible in the sky from the Sun system? If not is that a known issue? Also, I imagine there isn't any way to have solar panels generate power from stars other than the stock Sun, given that it hasn't been done yet?

The super big sun "flares" in the sky are the only bug I managed to fix before my vacation. You can try downloading the development branch from github. That *should* work fine.

That version should also allow for solar panels ec generation from all stars

On 8/14/2016 at 7:12 PM, Sigma88 said:

The super big sun "flares" in the sky are the only bug I managed to fix before my vacation. You can try downloading the development branch from github. That *should* work fine.

That version should also allow for solar panels ec generation from all stars

I give you many thanks. I've been waiting for a pack to do this successfully for a long time. You have created a wonderful thing sir.

17 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

I give you many thanks. I've been waiting for a pack to do this successfully for a long time. You have created a wonderful thing sir.

actually, it was a pretty trivial change, it became necessary the moment kopernicus started allowing for multiple flares at the same time

so 1.0.5 iirc

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

actually, it was a pretty trivial change, it became necessary the moment kopernicus started allowing for multiple flares at the same time

so 1.0.5 iirc

Well, this star system pack is by far the best IMO and I only just learned that the dev version had stars with working EC generation, as I recall getting that to work used to be a big issue.

Also, I know it's the dev version and so bugs should be expected, and this doesn't seem to be game breaking or anything, but I thought I'd let you know about this one potential issue. When in space incredibly far away from any bodies, my debug log is spammed with this message: "getObtAtUT infinite UT on elliptical orbit UT: Infinity, returning NaN
[LOG 11:23:31.359] nearestTT is NaN! t1: 1834122673.72753, t2: Infinity, FEVp: 0.640196339932172, SEVp: 2.30897568955326" repeatedly.

It doesn't seem to cause any issues except periodically making orbit lines disappear and completely messing up timewarp, but changing to the space center and back seemed to fix that. Regardless, it doesn't seem to be intentional so I figured I'd let you know.

13 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

Well, this star system pack is by far the best IMO and I only just learned that the dev version had stars with working EC generation, as I recall getting that to work used to be a big issue.

Also, I know it's the dev version and so bugs should be expected, and this doesn't seem to be game breaking or anything, but I thought I'd let you know about this one potential issue. When in space incredibly far away from any bodies, my debug log is spammed with this message: "getObtAtUT infinite UT on elliptical orbit UT: Infinity, returning NaN
[LOG 11:23:31.359] nearestTT is NaN! t1: 1834122673.72753, t2: Infinity, FEVp: 0.640196339932172, SEVp: 2.30897568955326" repeatedly.

It doesn't seem to cause any issues except periodically making orbit lines disappear and completely messing up timewarp, but changing to the space center and back seemed to fix that. Regardless, it doesn't seem to be intentional so I figured I'd let you know.

this is possibly caused by the fact that if you are so far away the orbital speed can drop to zero making the orbital period infinity and give that error

19 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

this is possibly caused by the fact that if you are so far away the orbital speed can drop to zero making the orbital period infinity and give that error

Huh. This does still happen while moving very fast though, does that preclude the problem. Additionally, if that was the issue, is there a way to resolve it? Again, it doesn't seem to break anything, but the log being spammed just seems wrong.

1 hour ago, Sahadara said:

Huh. This does still happen while moving very fast though, does that preclude the problem. Additionally, if that was the issue, is there a way to resolve it? Again, it doesn't seem to break anything, but the log being spammed just seems wrong.

the only solution I can think of would be to not venture too far from the cluster of stars.

how much "incredibly far away from any bodies" are we talking about?

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

the only solution I can think of would be to not venture too far from the cluster of stars.

how much "incredibly far away from any bodies" are we talking about?

I can't remember the exact distance, though I could check back in with you after I have a chance to test, and see at exactly what distance it starts giving the message, but it's a good distance before leaving the SOI of a given star, as well as while in interstellar space. Note: I'm no game or mod dev, but this just occurred to me. I am running the game in 64-bit mode, but might the part of the game that calculates distance from stars be 32-bit? If so, my distance from the star is probably higher than the 32-bit memory limit. Could that be an issue? That it sees the number as higher than the limit and so considers it infinite?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.