Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

1 hour ago, SasquatchM said:

Can I suggest turning down the maximum speed?  Some of the submitted craft are actually capable of hitting those speeds, but will disassemble if they try to then maneuver.

Well the craft will be maneuvering the whole time while it's fighting, so are you talking about reaching 420 m/s while flying straight, or while dogfighting?

On 12/28/2015 at 9:46 PM, Triop said:

I'm not even going to try to fight it...Unless I build a craft with 6 engines :sticktongue:

I actually tested that craft...it's nothing to fear.

First off, this craft has no missiles. No. Missiles. Only wimpy 50 cals.

Secondly, despite having bone-crushing acceleration, and the maneuverability of an A6M Zero, the AI flies the plane so wildly that it seriously reduces its ability to point itself in the right direction. My 40-ton fighter-bomber, with very obviously sluggish handling, won against this thing in a turning battle. Yes, my freaking 40-ton plane WON a turning battle against that craft.

Also, the countermeasures and wild flying make it very hard (but not impossible; I did record a few missile hits) to hit with missiles. This would be an advantage if it had weapons with greater range, like missiles. But with the low muzzle velocity of the 50 cals, and the very unstable flying, this thing rarely gets to shoot against other aircraft, let alone hit them.

Sorry sasquatch, but you need to make some improvements to that craft if you want it to do well.

Edited by drtricky

Hello all

I bring updates regarding my tournament

Tournament Bracket:

ZU5YPsk.png

I was hoping TBD would be @ihtoit's X-wing but if he does not submit it by the time I run the simulations it will will be @SasquatchM's Adder Mk3

Props to @brianjwm for creating the bracket

Format Clarifications:

To win a match a craft must win 3 rounds against its opponent. To win a round, a craft must be the last under powered, controlled flight (the AI can hold altitude and manoever) and must be able to maintain this flight until the enemy's weapons pose no threat to it. If both craft are destroyed before either meet these criteria, both craft run out of ammunition, or fly out of range of each other, the round is a draw.

TL;DR: Best of 5, last plane standing wins. If both planes get destroyed or run out of ammo, it's a draw

Tomorrow I will post results and video

@ MostExcellent: Can you use the same Default- and minimum altitude settings for all planes please ?

E.g; My plane is set min altitude 600, if my opponent has a setup of min altitude 150, my plane will be shut down on takeoff before reaching 600 meters.

Im back home, I will download the planes and make videos of the battles. Like specified in the rules each plane will fight 5 times (but I will post only the best battle) and each winner will fight against the other, it might take a few days but I will keep you informed!

4 hours ago, Triop said:

@ MostExcellent: Can you use the same Default- and minimum altitude settings for all planes please ?

E.g; My plane is set min altitude 600, if my opponent has a setup of min altitude 150, my plane will be shut down on takeoff before reaching 600 meters.

I did. My first tournament post contains all the standard settings. Min altitude is 600 for all planes, default altitude is 1000

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@drtricky I have done all the round of 8 matches but the one with TBD. You still have time, albeit little

I will upload the videos soon

Edited by MostExcellent

Awesome! Thanks for doing this MostExcellent! I'm working on a new design that doesn't use stacked wings but it's a difficult task to create something that can beat the current benchmark best planes like SasquatchM's Asp.

1 hour ago, Fluburtur said:

Im back home, I will download the planes and make videos of the battles. Like specified in the rules each plane will fight 5 times (but I will post only the best battle) and each winner will fight against the other, it might take a few days but I will keep you informed!

Another tourney! I look forward to this one too. :D

23 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

I'm working on a new design that doesn't use stacked wings but it's a difficult task to create something that can beat the current benchmark best planes like SasquatchM's Asp.

I know, but I hate those "X-wings" so much I'm working very very hard designing and tuning a fighter with 4 wings on the side and 1 or 2 on the top (like a normal plane ^_^).

I'm working around Alphasus   his K-17 Canard C ( I think that plane is "Top Gun" now).

There is a lot to be gained just by tuning the AI flight computer.

Changing firing interval on your weapon manager can also help, setting it on 1 is not allways a good thing...

He shot off one of my engines, and I still managed to shoot him down ! :sticktongue:

arhljSA.png

This is great fun :cool:

Edited by Triop

2 minutes ago, Triop said:

Can I still enter ?

Codename: Flutter

Download file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4itl9apdilg4gt/Flutter.craft?dl=0

0kLl6aU.png

Points - 57

2x- Aim-9 = 12

4x- Aim-120 = 16

2x Flares = 6

2x Chaff = 4

2x Ammo = 8

1x Hidden Vulcan = 7

1x 50Cal turret = 4

And we have our last entry for this tournament!

I will run the remaining matches upon returning home

Good luck, have fun!

What my plane lacks in maneuverability, it makes up with F-4 Phantom-like acceleration.

I present to you, the F-40 Stargrazer!

CF40A4AD7D407C8B5FD9446DF6717FA0BFCD9F0A

A2651CBE383D11FF9D70675E271F6202C44FD166

Features:

9 engines

Internal bomb bay (Currently has nothing inside it)

Ten missile racks

(Originally featured two GAU-8's, but I had to remove them for the contest ;.;)

Point count:

1 Hidden vulcan = 7

1 ammo box = 4

3 AIM-120's = 12

4 AIM-9's = 24

2 Chaff CM = 4

2 Flare CM = 6

For a total of 57 points

Truth be told, I'd be surprised if this plane made it past round one. But I'd still be proud of my baby regardless.

EDIT: Oh. I was two minutes too late ;.;

Edited by drtricky

11 minutes ago, drtricky said:

What my plane lacks in maneuverability, it makes up with F-4 Phantom-like acceleration.

I present to you, the F-40 Stargrazer!

CF40A4AD7D407C8B5FD9446DF6717FA0BFCD9F0A

A2651CBE383D11FF9D70675E271F6202C44FD166

Features:

9 engines

Internal bomb bay (Currently has nothing inside it)

Ten missile racks

(Originally featured two GAU-8's, but I had to remove them for the contest ;.;)

Point count:

1 Hidden vulcan = 7

1 ammo box = 4

3 AIM-120's = 12

4 AIM-9's = 24

2 Chaff CM = 4

2 Flare CM = 6

For a total of 57 points

Truth be told, I'd be surprised if this plane made it past round one. But I'd still be proud of my baby regardless.

EDIT: Oh. I was two minutes too late ;.;

I will fight it against the winner and see what happens:cool:

Edit: I also don't see why I can't collect the next 8 entries and run a second tournament. I have a new fighter in the works, avoiding wing stacking

Edited by MostExcellent

I'll show you my latest creation, the Sand Spider. Needs some testing but it does pretty well considering it is not stacking wings, (unless you count the small tail bits on the back.)

IMQ79Sj.jpg

abQHTkS.jpg

aTz36OT.jpg

I thought I would go crazy and do a working 4 engine plane. It is fast enough to out-run AIM 120's if it flies 90 degrees to them and its turn rate is lethal. I may try and fit a Gau gun to it as the .50 cal turrets are good but have some limitations for something like this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.