Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Also nice job with the tourney creative however didn't i make a submission :sticktongue:. I know its too late now but still. On another note what software did you use for recording the tournament?

You did indeed make a submission. I was originally intending to pit all the late submissions against the tournament successor together, but quite frankly I'm thoroughly sick of the whole affair.

I used Bandicam to record the tournament, using the 720p YouTube preset. Be sure to adjust the preset if you intend to record your tournament using Bandicam, and perform test recordings to verify that all is well.

• 2 weeks later...
If it isn't completely clear by now, my tournament is [B]over[/B]. The only things left for me to do are to format the summary post and write reviews for each match. I'm going to be out of town for quite some time on account of the holidays so I would advise someone to [B]please host a tournament[/B] to keep this thread bumped and breathing. Thank you for your time.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎03‎:‎40‎, Slam_Jones said:

I disagree, actually. As demonstrated by the XMF (sorry for always using it as an example, but I see it as the most likely champion) a volley of missiles can be incredibly deadly and end the fight really quickly. It takes a lot to dodge that many at once, so it makes it a pretty solid tactic. IMO of course.

Actually, I dodged 4 Ahmraams in my not very maneuverable mk2 private jet by rolling, pitching, and yawing at the same time. I had the interceptor pursue me with it's turbo jet against my 2 wheeslys and it kept shooting at me with hidden Vulcans. It was directly behind me too. It's not that hard to avoid missiles, even without chaff or flares.

18 hours ago, CommanderCoye said:

Actually, I dodged 4 Ahmraams in my not very maneuverable mk2 private jet by rolling, pitching, and yawing at the same time. I had the interceptor pursue me with it's turbo jet against my 2 wheeslys and it kept shooting at me with hidden Vulcans. It was directly behind me too. It's not that hard to avoid missiles, even without chaff or flares.

Wow, that's a very old quote there.

What I meant was that it was hard for the AI to dodge them all.  Even in a manueverable craft, it seemed like I was getting shot down 2 out of every 3 times.. simply because they would spread out a bit and cover a larger area.

But this was several months ago so my memory may not be 100% correct, and I'm fairly certain the AI has been tweaked since then.

15 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Wow, that's a very old quote there.

What I meant was that it was hard for the AI to dodge them all.  Even in a manueverable craft, it seemed like I was getting shot down 2 out of every 3 times.. simply because they would spread out a bit and cover a larger area.

But this was several months ago so my memory may not be 100% correct, and I'm fairly certain the AI has been tweaked since then.

Mabye... This was back when BD armory's AI pilot still said "experimental."

On 12/8/2015, 1:34:58, BlueCanary said:

So I'm super confused, is there a tournament open at the moment? I have a craft I'd like to compete at some point, is now a good time to submit it?

There is no tournament on at the moment on account of no one being willing to host one. 

On 12/3/2015, 1:58:02, Spilled Vial said:

So, how does the point system work? Like scored? I don't know if I'm missing some obvious link or reply, but, ya know, this seems interesting, I just don't want to be that guy who breaks the rules on accident.

Every weapon you add increases your point total by a certain number of points, depending on the weapon.  The Hidden Vulcan, for example, adds seven points to your point total per Hidden Vulcan.  Your point total can not exceed a certain number of points as decided by the tournament host. 

On 11/30/2015, 5:24:22, Fluburtur said:

I could host a few battles, I think my computer is well up to the task and I myself make planes have battles very often.

I also have a very good plane to enter so that would be a good thing.

Please do. 

My recommendation for rules can be found here: 

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117271-top-gun-ai-the-official-tournament-thread/&do=findComment&comment=2160926

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2015 at 7:16 PM, MostExcellent said:

Is there any interest in another tournament? Maybe weekly or monthly tournaments? I would be willing to run it.

12 hours ago, Fluburtur said:

I could host a tournament for a few planes, maybe 3 or 5 given mine will be entered.

Add me to the list of people interested in competing, I have a plane very very nearly ready. 

@Triop Make a better plane? During the testing of the plane modified for this tournament I made it fight with the "regular" version a lot of times and it wins most of the time, no matter the starting configuration.

I would tell you its weakness but it's top secret :D

Edited by Fluburtur

20 hours ago, Fluburtur said:

Ok, post pictures of your planes along with the weapons stats and craft files.

QQSpwFM.jpg

26 parts in stock form, not a huge amount more in the BDArmory version. Quite conventional compared to most of the designs here but it is very quick and ridiculously maneuverable so I think it might have a chance. 

Weapons: 

2 flares, 2 chaff

A currently undecided mix of Aim 9 and Aim 120

Either a Vulcan or an M230

I'll upload the finished armed craft file as soon as I have the chance.

10 hours ago, Fluburtur said:

@Triop Make a better plane? During the testing of the plane modified for this tournament I made it fight with the "regular" version a lot of times and it wins most of the time, no matter the starting configuration.

I would tell you its weakness but it's top secret :D

Nothing wrong with my fighters, I'd bet they would kick your ass :D

R0TSbTA.png

Edited by Triop

I'm in, need to read the rules again and check if my jets are legal first.

Question, if I upload my fighter here, everybody can download it and use it to finetune their fighter before entering, how is this solved ?

Edited by Triop

4 hours ago, BlueCanary said:

QQSpwFM.jpg

26 parts in stock form, not a huge amount more in the BDArmory version. Quite conventional compared to most of the designs here but it is very quick and ridiculously maneuverable so I think it might have a chance. 

Weapons: 

I'll upload the finished armed craft file as soon as I have the chance.

That is a very beautiful bird you've got there Canary :cool:

Ok, time for me to show you my beast 

1451052608-2015-12-24-00001.jpg

K919 intereptor (tournament edition), a modified version of my best jet specially made for this tournament. I added Panthers and canards to have even more maveuvrability than the regular version, and it's equiped with 4 .50 guns and 4 AIM 9 heat seeking missiles along with the amo boxes and flare/chaff for a total of 57 points.

And his only job is too destroy all his opponents :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.