Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

I think the problem is in how the tournament starts on the ground: this selects for crafts that can make it to altitude and launch their missiles fastest, such as designs like my Xiphos IV. If instead we start the tournament once all craft reach altitude this may make more traditional fighter designs competitive, although in my testing the Xiphos IV only real weakness is its pathetic endurance.

What happened to the tournament a lot of planes never partook. Also whoever wanted 10 v 1. http://abload.de/img/screenshot1531fobhg.png it can also be equipped with multiple 30 mm ciws guns. Last time I tested it was during 0.90. May need to visit it again.

I will allow THAT design with CIWS just to see what happens! Should be fun! Drop a link on the BAT thread and I'll park another 5 planes on the field to bring it to 10 just for you ;)

EDIT: I will have to fix it so that the CIWS doesn't just blat the planes while they're still on the ground tho. I'll probably end up launching it manually as Team B to let the BATs get up, then once the wheels are up let the AI take over.

- - - Updated - - -

No sepratrons needed, jet engines work. Sadly, the nerf the Wheesley engine got made VTOLs non-viable - it lacks the thrust to lift anything much, and a turbofan won't fit in the mk2 cargo bay without falling foul of our clipping rules.

it'll fit in the mk.iii tho, right?

I think the problem is in how the tournament starts on the ground: this selects for crafts that can make it to altitude and launch their missiles fastest, such as designs like my Xiphos IV. If instead we start the tournament once all craft reach altitude this may make more traditional fighter designs competitive, although in my testing the Xiphos IV only real weakness is its pathetic endurance.

Maybe one plane starts in the island airfield and another one starts in KSC, and swap the starting position each round

Maybe one plane starts in the island airfield and another one starts in KSC, and swap the starting position each round

They're too far apart. Planes can only reliably launch under AI about 6km from the object in focus, irrespective of physics range beyond that - more than that, and bad things happen to them.

I have plans for a Top Gun AI arena - two sites 10km apart in the desert or plains, or across a sea, with a launch site halfway between from which to launch two rockets with weapon managers, one for each team. These will trip radar systems placed at each site, and alert the planes they are teamed with. They will scramble and head towards the rockets, which will be destroyed, staged below 25% original mass, or run out of power, at which point the inbound planes lose interest in the rockets and engage each other.

I've been so busy I haven't even touched my KSP PC in weeks, however.

Edited by colmo

Also where did creative go?

School started back up again and I haven't had much time for anything. I'm going to try and film the last three matches today and get them posted but there's a pretty high chance that won't happen.

The first match of the semifinals, dangerouspeople1 vs RuBisCO, has been filmed and uploaded.

Round 1:

dangerouspeople1

Round 2:

RuBisCO

Round 3:

RuBisCO

Round 4:

RuBisCO

Round 5:

RuBisCO Edited by CreativeCombat

• 2 weeks later...

Currently hosting a 4 plane mini tournament.

Rules:

-No mods. (Except for BDarmory)

-Fights are 1v1

-Fights are best of 3

-The last flying aircraft wins. If both are destroyed in the sky, the round is considered a draw. If one runs out of fuel it is a loss.

-Part Count Cap of 125(Don't push this!)

-ALL DESIGNS MUST HAVE A COCKPIT, PROBES ARE NOT ALLOWED.

-REACTION WHEELS ARE ALSO NOT ALLOWED(except for the cockpit reaction wheels). They are stupidly OP.

-All designs must be within the point limit, which is stated below.

-All turrets MUST be fixed forward

-One entry per tournament, unless stated otherwise.

-No clipping fuel tanks or engines. They can be slightly clipped for looks, but not completely inside each other. Structural parts and ammo, guns, gear, etc. Is ok. No wing clipping.

-All planes can and will be inspected without warning for rule compliance.

ALL PLANES ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE RADOMES!

Only planes with TurboRamJet

I will judge a uniqueness factor, the more unique the plane the higher chance it makes it in.

-AIM-9 - 5 Points

-AIM-120 - 4 Points

-All other missiles - 4 points

-Chaff - 2 Points

-Flares- 3 Points

-Ammo Can - 4 points (all types)

-.50 cal turret - 4 points

-GAU 8 30mm - 14 points

-M230 - 6 points

-Vulcan Hidden - 6 points

-Vulcan Turret - 8 points

-ECM Jammer - 20 points

-Goalkeeper - Banned

-Abrams Cannon - Banned

-M102 - Banned

-Millennium Cannon - Banned

ABL Laser - Banned

70 point limit

40 point limit on countermeasures.

ADDENDUM: All settings EXCEPT for teams will be used as provided. So, save your planes with guard and AI setups. No changes after the signup. Planes cannot be changed when and after signup is done.

Also, if anyone is found to be breaking the rules, they will be dropped into the loser's bracket, and it will be recorded as a loss. These rules are tentative, and so if a rule change occurs, you have until the next match to change the plane. I will do a temporary fix for that match where the rule change occurred just before the match.

Sign-up for the tournament allows for 4 planes. Sign-up occurs on this page:http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ucHn7gY5r5

Or, you can request to be added on this thread.

During tournament fights, planes will be 1 km apart(roughly).

Badges here:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...-Thread/page53

Edited by Alphasus

Tallying up the entries, we have the FA-20

http://imgur.com/a/IJZSz

The Devil

The Snowflake from gag09

And the AAIF 3 from Kerdinand. The tournament isn't locked yet. Here are the originality point values:

FA-20:8.75(New body design, renovated wings, new armament)

The Devil:8(VTOL aircraft with previously shown body and wings

The Snowflake:10 for everything being new, and unique

AAIF-3:9 (with new body design, new wings, but old jet biplane concept)

Good luck, and you can still enter in planes.

Edited by Alphasus

screenshot1150dfox4.png Picture of the snowflake for those interested. Comes equipped with 8 30mm chain-guns because they are better at long ranges then the other guns according to the config file yet they don't have a high enough ROF to take advantage of that so i put 8 on it. Also may have wanted to get max originality. Edited by gag09

Would this guy qualify?

zMBydxF.png

If I counted right, it hits 59 points.

It's the first fighter I've built to perform effectively and I want to know how he does against something dedicated. Comes with an inline radome, 2 chaff dispensers and 3 flares for utility, and the armament should be obvious, except for 1 hidden Vulcan under the Nacelle serving as a rear gunner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.