Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

Someone should make a tank fly, just put structural panels everywhere with some armored wings, and put a howitzer on it. Yeah, that deserves a separate challenge post.

Also, just use FAR or some other aerodynamics mod! Then wing clippings won't work and unreal designs like damn boxes won't fly! (Although they might be flyable...like that video...).

Someone should make a tank fly, just put structural panels everywhere with some armored wings, and put a howitzer on it. Yeah, that deserves a separate challenge post.

Also, just use FAR or some other aerodynamics mod! Then wing clippings won't work and unreal designs like damn boxes won't fly! (Although they might be flyable...like that video...).

No, because I only have space for one ksp install. So, I can't use far because it messes with everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how would you feel if your plane got its tail handed to it by a box with less area and more lift than a wing clipped plane!!!!!

I don't like the box planes and other unreal designs( a tank?) but there is basically no other way to avoid it. Maybe someone will have some better suggestions? Otherwise the tournament will become "Build a flying box with missiles tournament". Maybe a separate tournament for unreal and silly designs?

I am building a tank and submitting it cause boxes can fly, why not a tank? :/

- - - Updated - - -

I am not going to submit it, but I will still build it. Also, don't expect to see a tank like object

- - - Updated - - -

fsjxZLz.png

This is nothing like a tank, but someone can make it like one. Just to prove it can be done.

I did experiment with the idea but decided not to submit because it breaks the spirit of the tournament but basically I made a design that simply runs away, and can remain in powered flight for 30 minutes, long after the competition have run out of fuel. So one plane would be bait and the other would simply fly away to outlast the competition, winning by default. I don't know if the rules need an addendum to prevent that because it is an obvious *blank* move.

Edited by RuBisCO
seriously, that word needs to be censored?

The first half of the tournament, engaging the eight planes submitted to determine the first finalist, will start this Friday and stretch into the weekend. Thank you for the submissions everyone, thank you for making this spectacle possible.

This is a two plane tournament, two planes count as one submission. They can be the same plane. The two planes can not have more than 150 parts between them. The two planes, with all weapons and countermeasures combined, can not have more than 90 points of weapons/countermeasures. If you have turrets, such as the Vulcan Turret, they must have their maximum pitch, minimum pitch, and yaw range set to 0, 0, and 0. Neither plane may have more than 60 points of weapons/countermeasures on it.

Now, the plane you submitted follows all these rules except for two.

1. The Vulcan Turret doesn't have its rotation locked, but this might have just been a design 'typo'.

2. It's one point over the 60 point individual plane limit; it has 61 points. If the Vulcan Turret was a Vulcan Hidden, this would be fixed.

Those are both very minor, but what I'm confused about is: Where's your second plane? I can't accept you into this tournament until those two things are resolved, and you provide a second plane.

More complete rules can be found at the top of page 74 of this thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130238-Top-Gun-AI-The-Official-Tournament-Thread/page74

Thank you.

EDIT: On a minor note, it didn't follow the naming scheme either but that's not a big deal. It is annoying though, I'd appreciate it if you resolved that in your resubmission if you will be providing one.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated to XIPHOS IV

http://imgur.com/a/1cm9H

I'm not sure if I should accept this.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you want to keep on making your boxes, then I have something even better flying.http://www./download/as40x28855sspbo/FA-Proto_4.craftProto_4.craft

Replace the FA-34 with that.

No.

- - - Updated - - -

AWIMBAWE

http://i.imgur.com/r3NRm2r.png

Scoppio-1-AFK on KerbalX.com

43 points - 83 parts - 6~7 minutes of fuel

http://i.imgur.com/T4EJtpn.png

Scoppio-2-AFK on KerbalX.com

44 points - 31 parts - 6~7 minutes of fuel

I hope not to have a dry-out in middle of a combat XD

Bothe AFK-1 and AFK-2 now up-to-date for the tournament. <3

Received, inspected and accepted.

These planes are very lovely, thank you for submitting them. I would've advised you to add more countermeasures though, seeing as the combined point total only comes to 75. I hope they do well in the tournament.

Edited by CreativeCombat

And what is the problem?

Everything's all locked in and ready for the tournament. If I start accepting submission replacements this late, everyone might start doing it. If everyone starts doing it, then I'll have to re-inspect everything. Then, if there's a problem with anything submitted, I'll have to delay the tournament to allow that to be resolved.

Plus, all the planes submitted are really nice and excellent in their current form and the tournament is geared up to be quite a sight to see. I'm worried that if I accept replacement planes this late in the tournament, they'll get replaced by less interesting 'flying box' designs. Such as what Alphasus proposes he replace the lovely FA-34 with as some kind of... political statement?

- - - Updated - - -

Boxes? One plane only? Probably because you only had one plane

I don't understand the meaning of this post or if it's related to me in any way.

gee well all of mine were already flying boxes. I really don't put hope on the Xiphos II and I put alot of work into the upgrades to the IV series, I really am not pleased by this: your rules did not put a specific date for no longer accepting updates.

Well, I'm fine with what I submitted. I know for a standard configuration plane they fly fine and can hold their own.

Keep us posted please CreativeCombat!

Oh, and thanks for hosting this! :)

gee well all of mine were already flying boxes. I really don't put hope on the Xiphos II and I put alot of work into the upgrades to the IV series, I really am not pleased by this: your rules did not put a specific date for no longer accepting updates.

I have no reasonable grounds to refuse your submission. Accepted.

All tournament participants have until Friday to update or replace any previously provided submissions. If the updated version is not in compliance with ANY rules, you will have until Friday to resolve it. If any replacement submission does not comply with the rules in their entirety by Friday, a previous submission of yours will be used in its place. Thank you for your participation.

Edited by CreativeCombat

I promise to lock down it as is at XIPHOS IV C/D

I'll even tell everyone its weaknesses

1. Its not very maneuverable. Well it is if the AI was smart, but to get it to dodge missiles I had set the flap range very very low, so it flies really fast but turns like a Condor. In 1vs1 against a more maneuverable opponent it often losses or else the opponent runs out of bullets, which happens due to its speed reducing the chance of cannon hits, and then it becomes an endurance competition. Which brings me to #2

2. It does not fly for very long. To keep the T/W very high it does not have much fuel and 3 engines will burn up all its fuel in 9 minutes tops. It can easily be out endured even by a damaged plane, as long as the opponent manages to spin and bob about such that my unmaneuverable Xiphos IVs can't hit them, eventually they run out of fuel.

3. It was specifically tested against MarsRocks and SasquatchM planes, everyone else, no offense, did not seem to match even the Xiphos I and II. While my testing has refined the Xiphos to "dustbite" them, I may have overlook or created a weakness that other designs can exploit, and if MarsRocks and SasquatchM want to update I will have no recourse, promise.

Whats wrong?

The name should be Gag09-1-Wyvern and Gag09-2-DragonFly

Received, inspected and accepted.

These planes are very lovely, thank you for submitting them. I would've advised you to add more countermeasures though, seeing as the combined point total only comes to 75. I hope they do well in the tournament.

75? Really?

I probably missed something during the math. To be honest, today I did the AFK Mk 6 and it is so awesome that I wish I had sent it instead (it would be a pair of AFK's 6, thei'd fit properly in the points system) <3

I have no reasonable grounds to refuse your submission. Accepted.

All tournament participants have until Friday to update or replace any previously provided submissions. If the updated version is not in compliance with ANY rules, you will have until Friday to resolve it. If any replacement submission does not comply with the rules in their entirety by Friday, a previous submission of yours will be used in its place. Thank you for your participation.

OK... this means that I can make the replacement, I'll just check the points to be sure, if the numbers are true.

Yeap, 45 points the Mk6, so I request a replacement for the following aircraft. This one has 45 points, 65 parts, to be used as a pair.

Point count

6x AIM-120 = 4*6

1x ammo = 4

1x h.vulcan = 7

2x chaf = 2*2

2x flares = 3*2

= 45

AWIMBAWE

AFK mk6

z4yck8U.png

Thanks, and where is going to be shown the showdown? Twitch, Youtube? Google Hang-out? Youtube Google Hangout?

Edited by Scoppio
Mark 6

Where's the second plane? I only see one here. I remember seeing a second plane from you earlier but I think you accidentally removed the link.

- - - Updated - - -

The name should be Gag09-1-Wyvern and Gag09-2-DragonFly

75? Really?

I probably missed something during the math. To be honest, today I did the AFK Mk 6 and it is so awesome that I wish I had sent it instead (it would be a pair of AFK's 6, thei'd fit properly in the points system) <3

OK... this means that I can make the replacement, I'll just check the points to be sure, if the numbers are true.

Yeap, 45 points the Mk6, so I request a replacement for the following aircraft. This one has 45 points, 65 parts, to be used as a pair.

Point count

6x AIM-120 = 4*6

1x ammo = 4

1x h.vulcan = 7

2x chaf = 2*2

2x flares = 3*2

= 45

AWIMBAWE

AFK mk6

http://i.imgur.com/z4yck8U.png

Thanks, and where is going to be shown the showdown? Twitch, Youtube? Google Hang-out? Youtube Google Hangout?

YouTube. Replacement plane received, inspected and accepted though the fuselage clipping was a bit dubious.

Edited by CreativeCombat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.