Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

OK then, here are my fixed entries, with points.

http://www./download/zw07mahchr2t2bg/1-Alphasus-FA-Proto_4.craft

FA-Proto 4

8x Chaff =16

6x Flare =18

1x Vulcan Hidden =7

1x Ammo Can =4

16+18+7+4=45

http://www./download/gg72kmrqgqzh3fh/2-Alphasus-FA-Proto_3.craft

FA-Proto 3

6x AIM-120 AMRAAM=24

1x Vulcan Hidden=7

1x Ammo Can=4

2x Chaff=4

2x Flare=6

24+7+4+4+6=45

Edited by Alphasus

I've made several more capable craft at this point, but I am curious to see how my original entries perform, so I am just going to roll with them. I think it would be interesting for the next tournament to have a submission cutoff day posted from the get go. Would anyone submit early? Would those people be at a disadvantage as others took that time to tweak craft to counter specific other entries? Would it be worthwhile to have the submissions be private, so we are going in blind against other people's craft?

Hello and welcome to the first half of CreativeCombat's BDArmory Top Gun AI tournament!

It's been twelve pages and a week or so of submissions and heart-breaking rule edits in the making, but it's finally sort-of here.

To very firmly clarify, this is only the first half of the tournament! The whole tournament is meant to be run with sixteen planes, but since eight have thus far been submitted, the first eight planes will be going against each other to determine one of the finalists. The tournament is not over yet, keep sending in submissions! We need six more to run the second half.

Every plane thus far submitted has been re-downloaded, re-inspected, re-edited (A lot of people forgot to bind Activate AI to 0), and re-approved!

Tournament battles will begin being run and filmed as soon as this post is posted.

Thank you all.

Edited by CreativeCombat

Thanks so much for hosting. To get the hype up for this, I will post the last 2 vids of my tournament today.

- - - Updated - - -

Also everybody, the effort required to host a tournament is a lot. So, please don't be extremely critical. People being critical of my planes really just killed my resolve, so please make constructive criticisms only. Thank you.

I couldn't figure out how to manipulate landing locations with hyperedit directly, so I had to do it the old fashioned way.

It's a good thing I recorded this too, since it uncovered a lot of things that were wrong with my recording software. I'm working on fixing those bugs now but it might take me a while.

Thanks so much for hosting. To get the hype up for this, I will post the last 2 vids of my tournament today.

- - - Updated - - -

Also everybody, the effort required to host a tournament is a lot. So, please don't be extremely critical. People being critical of my planes really just killed my resolve, so please make constructive criticisms only. Thank you.

Thank you for the compliment. I'd like to take this opportunity to state that I disagree with your other statements completely.

The effort required to host a tournament is not very much. So far, the only things I've had to do are:

1. Install some beautification mods, which are completely unnecessary.

2. Download and inspect craft files, and reply to posters informing them that their submissions had been received.

3. Occasionally, I had to clarify the rules or make a minor rules adjustment.

4. Reply to a few people explaining to them what rules they broke and informing them on how to fix it.

The most strenuous thing I've had to do thus far is work out how to fix my recording software. It's not picking up audio.

Also, reader, please, criticize me to your heart's content. Your criticisms are what allow me to improve as a KSP player, tournament host, and as an individual. Without criticisms, I would not be able to improve as a person. I care less than the mods do about how offensively you phrase your opinion. Furthermore, criticizing the tournament rules are what allows them to be refined and clarified.

Hopefully, some day very soon, the rules can be written to a point where they no longer need to be criticized. Then we can simply copy-paste them about, each host making minor adjustments to make each individual's tournament unique and presenting new and exciting design challenges to overcome. I'd encourage everyone reading this to give tournament hosting a try, it's much easier than it looks. Though please attempt to refrain from hosting in the middle of someone else's tournament to prevent confusion.

Edited by CreativeCombat

Try set to current to find location once you have landed. In latitude, .1 is 1 km, and .01 is 100 m or so. Use that for spacing.

- - - Updated - - -

&index=32

By the way, the F-9 does have this issue. I try to remedy it. It exists in all f-9s now.

Edited by Alphasus

First match, Alphasus against RuBisCo, is done filming. I tried to get fancy with the camera work but it's pretty clear I'm no Nassault.

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4:

Round 5:

Requesting criticisms on how to improve video quality.

Edited by CreativeCombat

Not bad! Certainly action packed!

Don't knock yourself. Doing on the fly camera work, especially on KSP where you have only one take on the whole thing, is a very tricky and difficult thing to do. You did alright.

Prepare for a very strict box ban and an unban on wing clipping. The FA-33 can't beat those "designs" and it wing clips, so what call wing clipping op exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, anyone who breaks the box rule will be disqualified instantly. If it doesn't look like a plane, you will have time to fix it, but if it's a box, DQ instantly. And no more than 1 engine per 5 tons from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

Having watched my plane lose to a 'design' which outmanoeuvred it with no surface area and more wing area than normal planes, I find myself thinking how "it's hard to legislate boxes" becomes " Take a steaming dump on the spirit of the contest as originally envisaged"?

Apologies for the bluntness, but I'm disgruntled at the abuse of the contest. It doesn't even remotely meet my idea of fair. I don't mind my plane losing, because I'm happy I didn't cheat to build it.

I edited colmo's post to fit my purposes. Sorry that this is the first round, but really!?!?

Edited by Alphasus

Second round, SasquatchM against MarsRocks is now filming. Will be uploaded soon.

Prepare for a very strict box ban and an unban on wing clipping. The FA-33 can't beat those "designs" and it wing clips, so what call wing clipping op exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, anyone who breaks the box rule will be disqualified instantly. If it doesn't look like a plane, you will have time to fix it, but if it's a box, DQ instantly. And no more than 1 engine per 5 tons from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

Having watched my plane lose to a 'design' which outmanoeuvred it with no surface area and more wing area than normal planes, I find myself thinking how "it's hard to legislate boxes" becomes " Take a steaming dump on the spirit of the contest as originally envisaged"?

Apologies for the bluntness, but I'm disgruntled at the abuse of the contest. It doesn't even remotely meet my idea of fair. I don't mind my plane losing, because I'm happy I didn't cheat to build it.

I edited colmo's post to fit my purposes. Sorry that this is the first round, but really!?!?

I believe your plane lost due to the its use of repeated Elevon 4s to build its control surface. In previous versions of KSP, attaching multiple small control surfaces was superior to using a single large one. But since the aerodynamics update, each control surface adds a MASSIVE amount of drag to the craft. So because you used multiple Elevon 4s to build your elevator, your plane was extremely draggy. That drag made it slow, but more importantly, made it difficult to maneuver. Its lack of maneuverability prevented it from getting its weapons on target and resulted in its death. The use of quadruple wings in the Proto 4 aggravated the issue. You can see in the footage how the Proto 3 takes off much sooner and turns faster; that's because it doesn't have as much drag, because it doesn't have as many Elevons, because the Proto 4 had two more wings of them attached to it.

But it could have been a number of things, that's just my opinion.

I did about an hour of independent testing on that exact subject. The elevon 4s offered better performance in all aspects. And no, if that box was actually a plane, it would be so draggy and unstable that it wouldn't turn well. And the surface area would get it killed every time by missiles or guns, and stuff would actually fall off. It isn't viable as a plane, only as a turd box.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really sorry, if we ever meet Alphasus, I will totally let you punch me in the face.

It's not you. The reason why I ran those tests is because this was inevitable. But the solution to the problem is really just to lay out the plane and test it laid out into wing formation. I can guarantee that anything that isn't a box flys well.

I did about an hour of independent testing on that exact subject. The elevon 4s offered better performance in all aspects. And no, if that box was actually a plane, it would be so draggy and unstable that it wouldn't turn well.

Now that is common sense and all but...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.