Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

I did tests with the missile and the bullet and most of the time, the bullet just use missile to blow my up, but once the bullet is out of missiles, my plane seems to be able to use their guns to take down both.

- - - Updated - - -

And even though they were shot down, both managed to land, quite impressive.

I updated one of my xiphos.

Also when starting out a match it best to edit the save so that all planes start at once by making pilotEnabled = true. Thus no plane as a start advantage/disadvantage.

I'm done, I got no more time to dedicate to this, off to work.

80 page!

The amount of participants doesn't seem to be reaching 16 people very soon. Will you consider having a dead line, letting us submit more than once or decrease the number of participants required to start the tournament?

I'm in no rush to get this done and over with, but as soon as we get one more participant to bring the total to eight, I'll run the first half of the tournament with the eight places submitted so far going against each other. If we don't get the last plane needed to decide the finalist in a week, I'll submit one of my own design.

- - - Updated - - -

In testing, the proto 3 tore the Bullet into shreds. So did the FA-34. Will test with the missile soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how are you testing the planes? I do tests at 1 km apart.

I do my tests a bit ghetto. I turn one plane around in the VAB, roll it off the runway, stop it, launch the other plane and have them fight. The tournament itself will be done more properly, with hyperedit.

- - - Updated - - -

Try removing the bullet from play after it uses missiles. Otherwise, it is a 2v2 with a dead plane.

The bullet has a Vulcan on it.

It shouldnt have a gun or ammo on it...

I looked at the parts list page on kerbalx (because I was too lazy to open kerbal to see if I had put one on) and there was no ammo or gun on it.

The points I listed also had no gun on it.

My rational for having so many missiles is that in my testing, it was not possible for anything to dodge aamrams unless the craft was very very small, and then only sometimes. So I had a lot of missiles on a really fast plane that would draw all of the missiles away from the slow to take off Missile and possibly take down one of the two other planes. Then the missile would use its missiles and gun to clean up any small planes that remained. I admit that both could have been done better but I thought this was going to fill up quick and didnt want to be the seventeenth entry...

Its very easy to dodge missiles, the problem is you need a very fast high T/W craft OR you need to set Steer factor very low so the plane does not loss speed maneuvering, but the AI is so limited at this time that it won't adjust the steer factor in accordance to dodging missiles vs attacking, so if the steer factor is set low you plane will lack the maneuverability to attack, especially with cannons.

Those are my aircrafts, dubbed AFK's, Autonomous Fighter w/ Kerbals.

Aircraft AFK-1

Aircraft AFK-2

Links removed, I finally found the new ruleset for this competition and I will first edit my figthers so they become eligible to the task.

Best Regards

Scoppio

Edited by Scoppio

The bullet is a box, with wings. Wing clipping was banned because of wing spam making planes not look like planes. The bullet is a box with wings. It goes against the concept of the rules to accept it. Just saying, for future tournaments.

The bullet is a box, with wings. Wing clipping was banned because of wing spam making planes not look like planes. The bullet is a box with wings. It goes against the concept of the rules to accept it. Just saying, for future tournaments.

Wing clipping is banned to prevent people from sticking all their wings inside their plane, or sticking all their wings inside their other wings, because doing that allows the plane to retain a small surface area, making it hard to hit, while still having the lift of an Albatross.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are my aircrafts, dubbed AFK's, Autonomous Fighter w/ Kerbals.

Aircraft AFK-1

Aircraft AFK-2

Links removed, I finally found the new ruleset for this competition and I will first edit my figthers so they become eligible to the task.

Best Regards

Scoppio

Eagerly awaiting.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www./download/27wm9p5hr5r6cv7/P-1+Wyvern+Tourney.craft

http://abload.de/img/screenshot40aaoch.png

Here is my entry equipped with 2 aim 120 and 4 aim 9 along with a single Vulcan.

Go to Page 74, read the updated rules, adjust for them and resubmit your entry.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130238-Top-Gun-AI-The-Official-Tournament-Thread/page74

- - - Updated - - -

It shouldnt have a gun or ammo on it...

I looked at the parts list page on kerbalx (because I was too lazy to open kerbal to see if I had put one on) and there was no ammo or gun on it.

The points I listed also had no gun on it.

My rational for having so many missiles is that in my testing, it was not possible for anything to dodge aamrams unless the craft was very very small, and then only sometimes. So I had a lot of missiles on a really fast plane that would draw all of the missiles away from the slow to take off Missile and possibly take down one of the two other planes. Then the missile would use its missiles and gun to clean up any small planes that remained. I admit that both could have been done better but I thought this was going to fill up quick and didnt want to be the seventeenth entry...

I got the Bullet confused with your other ship, the Missile. Sorry.

No, in the first discussion on wing clipping, it was up in the air. That was because wing spam had just been solved, by making planes into planes. Then, wing clipping showed up. We decided that it was fine, until it was banned in some tournaments. Finally, we have here a plane that is somewhat wing spammy, which has less area than anything else and more lift...... Which is why we killed wing clipping and wing spam.

You might be surprised at what can fly:

I had been planning on hosting a tournament, but the truth is, I don't have enough time.

Good luck to those who are in the current tournament.

Perhaps at a later date I might host some kind of "Tournament of Champions" just for fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.